The Student Room Group
vicky600
is sailing a good thing to put on a geography PS??

Hiya, i'm applying for geog too so we can help each other :biggrin: . PM me if you want to...
Reply 2
vicky600

its not really relevant to geog, but then nothing about your extra c activities is! its unusual, & makes you a 'well rounded person' (yawn) so put it in! only a sentence mind.
Reply 3
SiAnY
Hiya, i'm applying for geog too so we can help each other :biggrin: . PM me if you want to...

hey.. yeh sure that would be good.. i havent started to think about actually writing it yet though!.. i will have to soon.. get the early start like you!
Reply 4
vicky600

Well you could try linking it in to navigation/ route finding / oceanography / tidal and current patterns.....
Reply 5
Geogger
Well you could try linking it in to navigation/ route finding / oceanography / tidal and current patterns.....

Yeh i coudl try n do that.. thats a good idea.. I'd have to have a think about how i could word it!
Reply 6
vicky600
Yeh i coudl try n do that.. thats a good idea.. I'd have to have a think about how i could word it!

Link it in to aspects of Physical Geography that you like.. ie coasts, sediment cells,coastal management etc
Reply 7
vicky600

Yes, it's all good!
Sailing requires some knowledge or weather stuff right? That's geography. As already said by others, if you can link it, include it! Talk about where you go etc (then comes the lovely coastal geography!) and it being a touristy thing in some places, therefore management, sustainability, all that kind of stuff! You have to be able to 'see' your subject in everything, if you can do that successfully you're well on your way to doing fantastically in it!
Reply 8
It's an excellent thing to mention for all the reasons people have mentioned, plus the fact that presumably you have a good knowledge of weather because of it.

You could say something like
As a result of my sailing expeditions to [various exciting places], I have gained expert knowledge of weather systems and tidal patterns and developed a particular interest in sustainable coastal management. (Blah blah blah fishcakes about coastal management and its ever increasing importance and changing nature due to global warming and rising sea levels...)

Obviously you have to have this knowledge if you're going for interview anywhere, but you can develop it in the time between writing your personal statement and going for said interview :wink:. I should know!

Trust me, everything can be linked to Geography :smile:.
Reply 9
All good points.. thanx people!!..

oh n if you do geog at uni, do you enjoy it??? was talking to someone at work earlier who does it and he said it was crap..

Latest

Trending

Trending