Are you guys scared of Tsunami?

Watch
Friendly Liberal
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Tsunami is a portmanteau of two japenese words tsu = bay and nami = wave. They are giant waves of great destructive force. They are characterized by their high amplitude (wave height) and unstoppable momentum. In 2004 such a wave was responsible for the deaths of thousands of people in and around the Islands of Thailand. This event known as the 'Boxing day Tsunami' was the largest and most destructive on record.

The waves themselves frighten me for these reasons but also because it is impossible to disperse a Tsunami should one manifest as a result of geological activity (earthquakes) or impact events (asteroids). I've been having the same dream over and over again where I am walking along an empty countryside ravine. On the horizon I see a tsunami as tall as the clouds in the sky. It eats the clouds as it comes nearer to me. I try to run away but I can't, as it moves with incredible speeds. After my running away, it hits me like a wall of concrete and my body literally bursts.

I wake up at like 3AM in the morning and then I struggle getting back to sleep!

Just look at these pictures of Tsunami. They are terrifying. I think Tsunami are the worst natural disaster because you know they are coming. They aren't as slow as volcano or as localized as tornadoes. If you're at the beach, and the shorelines recedes away from you, then you know that you're already dead. A tsunami is coming and it's too late to outrun it on foot or by car. If you have a helicopter then you might be able to ascend above the wave crest before it reaches you.

tengentoppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can't imagine a tsunami hitting the UK, so no.
SparkleFairy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I also frequently dream of tsunamis and open water where I might drown and I agree it is terrifying but they are just dreams and do not mean that I will encounter a tsunami in real life.
But I'm glad I'm not the only one who dreams of them
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Tsunamis are the rarest of natural disasters but yes I'd be scared
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The chances of it directly affecting me, where I live, are extremely slim, so I've got bigger problems to worry about.
wartortle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Friendly Liberal)
Tsunami is a portmanteau of two japenese words tsu = bay and nami = wave. They are giant waves of great destructive force. They are characterized by their high amplitude (wave height) and unstoppable momentum. In 2004 such a wave was responsible for the deaths of thousands of people in and around the Islands of Thailand. This event known as the 'Boxing day Tsunami' was the largest and most destructive on record.

The waves themselves frighten me for these reasons but also because it is impossible to disperse a Tsunami should one manifest as a result of geological activity (earthquakes) or impact events (asteroids). I've been having the same dream over and over again where I am walking along an empty countryside ravine. On the horizon I see a tsunami as tall as the clouds in the sky. It eats the clouds as it comes nearer to me. I try to run away but I can't, as it moves with incredible speeds. After my running away, it hits me like a wall of concrete and my body literally bursts.

I wake up at like 3AM in the morning and then I struggle getting back to sleep!

Just look at these pictures of Tsunami. They are terrifying. I think Tsunami are the worst natural disaster because you know they are coming. They aren't as slow as volcano or as localized as tornadoes. If you're at the beach, and the shorelines recedes away from you, then you know that you're already dead. A tsunami is coming and it's too late to outrun it on foot or by car. If you have a helicopter then you might be able to ascend above the wave crest before it reaches you.

are these photos real?

That aside, Tsunamis is natures biggest killer, and yes I would be scared if I lived in a region where they are prominent. Like south asia, japan, even California and Alaska.
Friendly Liberal
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by wartortle)
are these photos real?

That aside, Tsunamis is natures biggest killer, and yes I would be scared if I lived in a region where they are prominent. Like south asia, japan, even California and Alaska.
The first image in photo distortion. The second image is from the movie 'Deep Impact' and although the wave is huge, a wave generated from a high impact asteroid strike would be considerably higher and far more destructive. Somewhere in the region of thousands of feet, taller than the clouds! Imagine a megatsunami wave that reached into the stratosphere and the edge of space.
Unusualthinker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I dream about them all them all the time mabe are dreams are trying to warn us
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've got water wings and a snorkel, I'll be fine.
iSlayeDaUnicorn
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unless you live in Asia or the US west coast, you'll be fine. And a mega Tsunami from a asteroid strike would be the least of your problems in that situation.
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tengentoppa)
I can't imagine a tsunami hitting the UK, so no.
Possible if Lisbon in Portugal has an earthquake but even then it would be restricted to the Isle of Scily and the South West Coast, if then it is unlikely. However West Coast of US and Canada I'd be worried they are overdue a quake there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (132)
14.78%
I'm not sure (40)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (431)
48.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed