Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I made the University of Brighton (Moulsecoomb) my firm choice. I'm just looking to see if there's many people going who will be living far away from home?

I'm from Nothern Ireland and don't know a single person so the nerves are starting to set it. I've applied for accommodation in Varley Park as it seems to be one of the main student accommodation areas.

Any responses would be great ������
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlymcr)
    Hi,

I made the University of Brighton (Moulsecoomb) my firm choice. I'm just looking to see if there's many people going who will be living far away from home?

I'm from Nothern Ireland and don't know a single person so the nerves are starting to set it. I've applied for accommodation in Varley Park as it seems to be one of the main student accommodation areas.

Hi Carly,

What a coincidence, I'm from Northern Ireland too! I moved to Brighton from Carrickfergus to study 7 years ago and it was quite scary being so far from home and not knowing anyone. The good news is, that all changed in my first week. There are a lot of people in the same boat so meeting people becomes really easy. If you get accepted to accommodation you'll be invited to join the Facebook group for your halls. In early August you’ll be invited to join a campus Facebook group too, so you will be able to get to know other students before you arrive.

In the meantime, there is some great info here about what it's like living in Brighton: http://www.brighton.ac.uk/living-her...ife/index.aspx.

Also, one of our current students lauren_mac is from Manchester. She has some friendly advice about distance here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ght=manchester

Hope that helps.

Take care!
    Elle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Brighton)
    Hi Carly,

What a coincidence, I'm from Northern Ireland too! I moved to Brighton from Carrickfergus to study 7 years ago and it was quite scary being so far from home and not knowing anyone. The good news is, that all changed in my first week. There are a lot of people in the same boat so meeting people becomes really easy. If you get accepted to accommodation you'll be invited to join the Facebook group for your halls. In early August you’ll be invited to join a campus Facebook group too, so you will be able to get to know other students before you arrive.

In the meantime, there is some great info here about what it's like living in Brighton: http://www.brighton.ac.uk/living-her...ife/index.aspx.

Also, one of our current students lauren_mac is from Manchester. She has some friendly advice about distance here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ght=manchester

Hope that helps.

Take care!
    Elle
    Thanks for replying! I'm from Carrickfergus too, how weird is that!?
    That's great to know about the Facebook groups etc. Just have to wait and see if it get the grades to get in now!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying! I'm from Carrickfergus too, how weird is that!?
    That's great to know about the Facebook groups etc. Just have to wait and see if it get the grades to get in now!
    Hey, so strange! If you say you went to Carrick Grammar I'll be a little freaked out Good luck with your results!

Elle

ReputationRep:
    This is so strange! I've just left Carrick grammar! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Starting at Brighton on Moulsecoomb in September.

Aiming for Varley Park but I'm a tad late in applying so I'm hoping there's still a place in the halls I'm after. Giving brighton a call tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Be Remarkable)
    Starting at Brighton on Moulsecoomb in September.

Aiming for Varley Park but I'm a tad late in applying so I'm hoping there's still a place in the halls I'm after. Giving brighton a call tomorrow
    Just read your conversation, good to see you met someone from where you're from. Brighton don't allocate halls until everyone has received their grades to make it fair. Then it is drawn from a computer and from what I remember people who made brighton their firm choice and met the entry requirements are priority and the computer tries to match which campus students picked. But after that it is random if you get a place in halls.

Hope that relieves a lil worry

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hello there, I just saw your thread about going to university far away from home! Although it's not as far as you, I felt pretty freaked out by the prospect of being so far away from home (manchester) at first. I went into halls and coincidentally there was one other person in my flat also from the north! The majority of people that go to university here are from the south but there are more people than you'd think from other areas. I know of a few people from wales and scotland too! At first it feels a bit strange - especially as you won't know anyone. It won't take long until you'll feel settled in though, and believe me you'd have a great time! There will be plenty of people in the same boat as you - even if it doesn't appear so at first

ReputationRep:
    Starting at moulaecoumb this September ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well if anyone can keep an eye out for me and feel free to come up and say hi

ReputationRep:
    I got my results 5 years ago today and got accepted into Brighton. Good times!

I lived in Varley halls and it was one of the best years of my life, you're going to love it; hands down the best accommodation in Brighton. It's like living in a village with hundreds of other students!

I didn't know a single person in Brighton either, I moved away from home too. I think Varley is probably the best halls to choose for this situation because there's a real sense of community there and you make a lot of friends fast. You'll be making friends with students from all over the park.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hey there,

It's totally natural to feel nervous but don't worry too much as there will be plenty of other students who are nervous about being far away from home! Brighton has also got a large international community so there will be many people even further afield than yourself!

Being far from home is a great opportunity to immerse yourself in student life and get to know people. I wish I'd gone to uni a bit further away as I often found myself just popping home on weekends and then missing out on whatever happened in halls that weekend.

It will be a great experience, congrats on getting into Brighton!

Have fun

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.