Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I studied Economics and graduated two years ago, I took a data technician job after graduating, where, I thought I would use some statistical concepts that I learnt.

It turned out that the main responsibility was data entry and recently I took a project management role within the same organisation but have learnt it is not a job or career I want to pursue.

I applied for a Junior Business Analyst role in a different organisation received a call where the recruitment advisor said that I might be better suited to a Credit Analyst role and put me forward for that job for which I am awaiting a call back from the hiring manager.

I am not very confident of getting the job as I haven't used statistics since uni. If I don't get the job I am thinking about quitting my current job to spend time to revisit modules that I took at university to improve my chances in future applications for similar jobs.

Do you think employers would see this a valid reason to leave my current job or would it be seen as a negative?

Do you think this a good idea or shall I stick it out at my current well paid but unsatisfying job?

Sorry if this isnt the correct forum to post this.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark,

ReputationRep:
    Terrible idea, does not make any sense. These are junior roles you are applying for anyway, nobody expects you to walk in and know everything.

ReputationRep:
    I'll second that. Quitting a job to revise isn't very resilient. Why can't you revise statistics in the evening?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark14)
    Hi,

I studied Economics and graduated two years ago, I took a data technician job after graduating, where, I thought I would use some statistical concepts that I learnt.

It turned out that the main responsibility was data entry and recently I took a project management role within the same organisation but have learnt it is not a job or career I want to pursue.

I applied for a Junior Business Analyst role in a different organisation received a call where the recruitment advisor said that I might be better suited to a Credit Analyst role and put me forward for that job for which I am awaiting a call back from the hiring manager.

I am not very confident of getting the job as I haven't used statistics since uni. If I don't get the job I am thinking about quitting my current job to spend time to revisit modules that I took at university to improve my chances in future applications for similar jobs.

Do you think employers would see this a valid reason to leave my current job or would it be seen as a negative?

Do you think this a good idea or shall I stick it out at my current well paid but unsatisfying job?

Sorry if this isnt the correct forum to post this.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark,
    I don't know what you were expecting as a "data technician". Even as a credit analyst you'd be unlikely to actually apply statistical techniques yourself, everything will already be prepared for you in Excel.

You should concentrate on getting a job that actually uses stats (if that's what you really want), THEN go back and learn what you need to for the job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.