The Student Room Group

Do you think university is affordable to students

Your thoughts?

Is the student finance enough to live on for a student?
I think the question is too broad. It depends on:
- how much the student gets
- how much their accommodation costs
- how much they spend on food
- how much they spend on course costs
etc etc. Some people will say no because they can't afford accommodation through SF alone, whereas some will be much better off at the end of the year through careful budgeting.
Original post by sliceofcake
I think the question is too broad. It depends on:
- how much the student gets
- how much their accommodation costs
- how much they spend on food
- how much they spend on course costs
etc etc. Some people will say no because they can't afford accommodation through SF alone, whereas some will be much better off at the end of the year through careful budgeting.

I mean students on low incomes, middle incomes and higher incomes. Also assuming these students do not have jobs can they live on their student finance alone?
Original post by ineedtorevise127
I mean students on low incomes, middle incomes and higher incomes. Also assuming these students do not have jobs can they live on their student finance alone?

Okay... your question is still vague. It can't really be generalised like that though, it's all down to the individual. Student A's expenses can be higher than Student B's due to where they go to university, where they live, the diet they follow, the potential course costs...
I think the answer is pretty much "yes for some, but not for some others"

Also, students on low incomes? Do you mean their households? Because if a student is getting little money then they're obviously going to struggle more than those who are getting the max grant and loan available.
Original post by sliceofcake
Okay... your question is still vague. It can't really be generalised like that though, it's all down to the individual. Student A's expenses can be higher than Student B's due to where they go to university, where they live, the diet they follow, the potential course costs...
I think the answer is pretty much "yes for some, but not for some others"

Also, students on low incomes? Do you mean their households? Because if a student is getting little money then they're obviously going to struggle more than those who are getting the max grant and loan available.

Yeah household income
Reply 5
Nope not if a student is to live without the help of parents even a part time job isnt that useful as you can only really get an extra 20 quid when doing a high contact hours course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
University is way cheaper across europe, even in high performing countries like germany, you only pay a few hundred euros per year for tuition...

The govenrment has messed up higher education big time.
My family earns little enough for me to not have to pay tuition fees, so it's very affordable to me. The only people who complain about it are the comfortably off, and then they try to make it out as if they're the voice of the poor, when in-fact the changes the Tories made to fees had no effect us.
If the student is poor, then yes.

If the student has slightly well off parents, no.
As someone about to pay 9k for a two year LLB out of their own pocket I would say that for first time undergraduates university is affordable. Get a part time job and you should have no issues funding your accommodation etc.
If you're poor yes, you get ****loads from student finance

If you're well off then tell your cheap ass parents to give you some money

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending