Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My information retention when reading is absolutely awful. I can read lecture notes five times over and still not have the slightest clue what's going on. It's not just when studying either... I read a 300 page fiction book the other day and couldn't even remember the names of the main characters afterwards.

The same even goes for TV... I'm four series into Breaking Bad and only know the names of about 6 of the characters and immediately after watching an episode I struggle to remember what has happened.

The only way I can learn is by making mind maps and flash cards and recapping them regularly. Trying to learn by listening to stuff repeatedly is even worse.

Surely my memory shouldn't be this bad though? What can I do to increase information retention when reading? It's driving me mad. I'm going into my second year at uni next year and need to sort this out.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you understand it while reading, not just, well reading. Or try making quizzes on them and testing yourself straight after. Memrise is a great site where there are courses in the form of tests to help you commit things to long term memory. You can make your own aswell

Good question OP. I struggle to learn just from reading. Usually because the terminology is complicated or just plain boring. I learn quicker through actual hands on experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mav455)
    Make sure you understand it while reading, not just, well reading. Or try making quizzes on them and testing yourself straight after. Memrise is a great site where there are courses in the form of tests to help you commit things to long term memory. You can make your own aswell
    How do I make sure I actually understand it when reading though? That's my problem. And yeah! I discovered Memrise a month or so ago and it definitely helps. Thanks for the help.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.