Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Breaking up with GF by ignoring her? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I met her at university and have been together for over 6 months. We've both gone back to our own hometowns now and i don't feel like being in a long distance relationship and there are things about her past I don't like but don't wanna hear her sob over it either.

So think I'm just gonna ignore her texts and calls. Is the fade out ever an acceptable method?

ReputationRep:
    It's a **** move. Tell her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Don't be a douche. Grow up and speak to her in person.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring someone is rude, if you don't want anything more say it. If you think she is going to cry etc. try and say it politely. It is pretty childish...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to ignore how incredibly rude this would be, and the potential of it being a troll. My answer is to anyone considering this: think about it logically, if you ignore them, the problem won't go away. They will keep calling and texting and it will end up as more of an issue than if you had just said it was over.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Just man up and tell her. Imagine you 'loved' a girl and she just completely ignored you, how would you feel? Just grow a pair and tell her its over.

ReputationRep:
    don't do that she will sob more and be confused and even more heartbroken than if you lay it out for her and be honest with her. Don't be the ******* that destroyed her trust in people. You're better than that. Give her the respect and closure she needs to move on.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously. Don't ever have another relationship again. You're not mature enough for one.

She'll keep texting you and hassling you etc until she gets a response, and then when she does eventually see you at uni again in September, she'll want to confront you so basically if you ignore her, you should prepare yourself for a huge argument when you next see her.
    Anyway if you don't want a huge row then just tell her you can't handle long distance. Avoid mentioning the stuff about her past if you don't want to make her angry.

ReputationRep:
    Classy guy.

ReputationRep:
    It's stupid to ignore her, she'll be confused and worried. You're better off just telling her you don't want to be with her, even though she'll cry, it's easier and you'll be being honest. If you ignore her, she'll keep hassling you!

know say it to her face

i have experience this
    i got really sad over it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by After7)
    I met her at university and have been together for over 6 months. We've both gone back to our own hometowns now and i don't feel like being in a long distance relationship and there are things about her past I don't like but don't wanna hear her sob over it either.

So think I'm just gonna ignore her texts and calls. Is the fade out ever an acceptable method?
    Don't know about fade out, but I once just went off-grid. I got really fed up with this girl and didn't tell her I was leaving town (forever). I just said "see you tomorrow" and then moved away.

What a coward.

ReputationRep:
      Tell her and for **** sake not by text! How low can a person go when I hear/read of that method . NEVER easy breaking up and by that fact you care. Going with somebody then dropping them like a stone for your reasons given is a pathetic approach!

Call her/meet. But if you think she is vulnerable as a decent person make sure she has somebody to watch/help her!! Every decent person in society should look out for people no matter ex gf etc.

ReputationRep:
      Unless your aim is to be a total *******, tell her directly. So much easier for everyone involved.

No, don't.

That's what my gf did with me and it was (and still is) absolute hell. One night, it was fine and it all seemed fine and then the next day, she just left. No message, no replies, nothing, and just left me all depressed and confused and upset. Now I've lost a lot of my confidence and am still broken. I've still heard nothing from her, and am very unsure as to why she's done this.

So please don't do that. When you deal with someone's emotions like that, the other person will only ever feel absolute pain. I wish people would just realise that sometimes. Sure, she will be very upset if you tell her, but it can't be as bad as not knowing and then finally accepting in.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by After7)

Man the **** up and tell her like you own some balls.

ReputationRep:
      WTF only pussies break up in that way

ReputationRep:
      Be a man and say it to her face!

****ing idiot.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.