Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dog prefers to play chase rather than fetch... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys;

Well, my dog has pretty much done this his whole life... (18 months old)
    90% of the time, he will take one of his toys and basically encourage you to chase him round the house for it.
    The other 10% of the time, he acts as a normal dog and actually plays fetch...

Is it normal for a dog to play chase rather than fetch... :confused:

EDIT:
    Breed = King Charles Cavalier
    (We actually think he is a cross between a spaniel and cavalier even though we apparently own a 100% cavalier)

His legs look too long for a cavalier.

Photo:

Name:  Sammy.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  109.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Many dogs do not play fetch because they weren't bred to retrieve. So to them, what's the point? Chase is more fun!

What breed is your dog?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I thought there was a sub-text here... erm, in my experience with dogs they prefer fetching and then a sort of 'tug-of-war' for the toy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Yes. Many dogs do not play fetch because they weren't bred to retrieve. So to them, what's the point? Chase is more fun!

What breed is your dog?
    We *think* a cross between a cavalier and a spaniel.
    Full explanation in edited first post. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Totally normal. My golden (retriever) looks at you like you're insane if you throw a ball more than once. You get the 'but all your going to do is throw it again, what's the point?' look. He much prefers chase. Chasing my other dogs, chasing random inanimate objects. Anything!

ReputationRep:
    My dog is a retriever and he doesn't play fetch at all.

ReputationRep:
    Different dogs enjoy different things- we have a retired greyhound and he doesn't know how to play games at all and just ignores all his toys... Some dogs just don't like fetch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinsley)
    Totally normal. My golden (retriever) looks at you like you're insane if you throw a ball more than once. You get the 'but all your going to do is throw it again, what's the point?' look. He much prefers chase. Chasing my other dogs, chasing random inanimate objects. Anything!

(Original post by Gwilym101)
    My dog is a retriever and he doesn't play fetch at all.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to own retrievers who don't play fetch! One of them I can kind of get her to play it, but she doesn't really like giving the ball back. They're not into tug of war at all.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly,correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure your dog isn't a cross. Do you know there's a difference between a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a King Charles Spaniel? I think yours may be the latter.

Also, my dog loves playing chase, he only plays fetch when I refuse to chase him

ReputationRep:
    Also, although retrievers have a natural instinct to retrieve (duh) they still have to be trained to do it. So if you've never done so then it's no surprise that your dog would rather play tug or chase!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Also, although retrievers have a natural instinct to retrieve (duh) they still have to be trained to do it. So if you've never done so then it's no surprise that your dog would rather play tug or chase!
    So if you're conditioning them to do it and there are many other games they would rather play then why play it with them in the first place ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew31593)
    So if you're conditioning them to do it and there are many other games they would rather play then why play it with them in the first place ?
    Well firstly, it's not that they'd rather play chase because they enjoy it more, it's more that it just comes more instinctually to them. Although fetching is obviously pretty instinctive to retrievers too, they still make require a little bit of teaching before they get it fully.

Secondly, (and correct me if I'm wrong), your post kind of implies that a dog can't enjoy something they've been taught, which is of course untrue.

Thirdly, it's nice for both parties to enjoy playtime, and fetch is more fun for lazy humans.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.