Extra reading for spanish and french a level Watch

Icesk8ing97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am doing both spanish and french at a level. I want to be as prepared as I can be and my school suggested reading books etc to learn vocab and help improve reading skills.

so I was wondering if anyone knew of any books that would benefit me in the gap between gcse and a level??
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You cover French cinema or literature during your A2 year, but AS is just studying general topics and grammar. Le Petit Prince is very popular but I struggled to read it during GCSEs. So, for now, I think you should try French music and movies instead, since you can translate the lyrics yourself / look them up and try to understand them, and it's just a more fun way to spend your summer. Try BB Brunes (they're similar to the Kooks) and watch movies like Les Intouchables and Amelie with subtitles.
(Apologies that I can't help much with Spanish, but I would recommend finding music and movies for that too).
Furuba5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Icesk8ing97)
I am doing both spanish and french at a level. I want to be as prepared as I can be and my school suggested reading books etc to learn vocab and help improve reading skills.

so I was wondering if anyone knew of any books that would benefit me in the gap between gcse and a level??
I don't know about Spanish but I studied French A level and teachers recommended Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry, L'Etranger by Camus and Un Sac de Billes by Joseph Joffo.

I've read some of L'étranger but it's a pretty strange story. However, Un Sac de Billes is very compelling if emotional as it's about two Jewish boys escaping the Nazis by fleeing to Vichy France. It's not as easy to read but I would really recommend it!
serebro
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Well, remember you are on summer break so you should definitely be conserving your energy and motivation until then, since you'll need it come September.

A quick word of caution is to not be put for the first month or so of languages at A Level. Unlike other subjects they start off ridiculously hard and you'll be writing essays in another language which is challenging at first. However, it will pass and you will hopefully find it more straightforward than your other A Level subjects.

Anyways, for extra reading, learn your verbs. Learn the perfect, imperfect present, future, conditional and take a look at subjunctive if possible. Try this site out to test your verbs. Go over grammar points, especially adjectives and pronouns. Watch some Spanish/French TV or film or listen to their music, whichever works best. Don't bother necessarily trying to understand it but rather to tune your ears to the languages.

In terms of vocabulary, use Quizlet or Memrise (?) during your AS and A2 year, but I wouldn't bother with vocabulary yet since it's a lot easier to learn when you're actively using it in lesson.

The best thing you can do now is polish your grammar ready for A Level standard work.

Good luck/Bonne chance/Buena suerte.

Books wise- I recommend the English/Spanish or English/French short stories collection, they're really good and it's really easy to use. I think Penguin books publish them.
caffeinefuelled
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which exam board are you doing?
procrastinatora
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
something i always found useful before exams was reading a book i already knew well, but in french or spanish -for example i own 'harry potter et le prisonnier d'Azkaban'... it just kinda helps you be more comfortable with the language
Icesk8ing97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by smoothER)
Which exam board are you doing?
Edexcel for both xx
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have Los Juegos Del Hambre, starting to read it, already enjoyed it in English.
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I would second all the earlier suggestions for reading, and would add some short stories to the list. Short stories are great because you can finish them more quickly and get a real feeling of achievement! The Petit Nicolas stories are fun; although about (and for) children, there's a certain amount of social comment there which makes them interesting for adults too (a little like the Just William stories in English). Also Lettres de mon moulin by Alphonse Daudet, particularly L'Arlésienne which is very moving.

I also agree with Serebro that grammar is a must. For French, I always recommend this book: Essential French Grammar for the Sixth Form and Beyond by Caroline Tracey: http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Gramm.../dp/095706120X . If you do the first chapter on grammar basics and work on the present, imperfect, passé composé, pluperfect and future tenses you'll have a great start to your studies in the Sixth Form. Also practise agreement of adjectives and use of pronouns. This book is very structured so the first exercises in any section are always straightforward; the exercises become more complex as you work your way through each section. To bridge the gap between GCSE and AS you don't need to do all the exercises in each section; don't do the English - French translation exercises at this stage.

I'm not sure what to recommend for Spanish - when I was doing A level I really enjoyed Spanish plays by Buero Vallejo and Lorca - they're not too difficult to understand. For Buero Vallejo it helps if you know a little about the Spanish Civil War.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (147)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (244)
30.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed