Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any sort of route I can take to study at university!? Please help. Watch

    • Thread Starter


    I already have my A-Levels that I completed last summer, I also got into my first choice university which I love but decided to defer because the university classed me as an international student and so obviously I couldn't pay the fees.

    A few months before I applied for uni, I applied for indefinite leave tor remain, the Home Office only just gave me a reply after 18 months. The outcome of my application was just an extension of my current Discretionary Leave to Remain visa which means I won't be getting any funding from Student Finance. I have been told by my solicitors that I will 100% get the Indefinite Leave to Remain when I apply for it in July 2015. I think it's highly unlikely Home Office will give me a reply by the 1st September 2015 so that will be nearly 3 years without studying when and if I start university.

    Just to put it out there, I've been living here since I was 5, so roughly 15 years completely legit, yet I see my Nigerian and Ghanaian friends get citizenship after 4-5 years. Takes the piss my parents pay so much tax for all these years and yet I'm classed as an overseas student.

    My questions are:

    - Do universities allow you to defer for more than a year? What if I've had some really bad family problems/grievances or special circumstances?

    - If I have to apply to university again, how am I going to get a reference since I don't go to college anymore?

    - When I apply again, how do I show the universities that my knowledge is up to scratch and that I have been studying and keeping up? I'm really reluctant to change my personal statement cause firstly, I think it's perfect. Secondly, I don't have any more space.

    - Am I at any sort of disadvantage, when I do apply?

    Many thanks!
    • Thread Starter

    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

    Contact your university- only they can tell you if you can defer for another year. Do check they will accept you still if your status changes from international to home. As a home student, you could potentially count towards student number controls, and this could be an issue for the university.

    Alternatively, if you have to reapply, your best bet is just to contact your old college for a reference, even if it is a few years out of date. Most universities will want to see some reference as to what you have been doing for the past few years on your PS. A completely unexplained gap does look a bit weird and could be a reason for rejection if they were looking for reasons to reject you. It's better to play safe and remove/rewrite some other content to make room for this. It would be good to show you're still reading around your subject if nothing else. The lack of recent study could be an issue in some subjects, though- especially maths.

    You shouldn't be at any disadvantage, though it might be worth contacting universities first, just in case.

    Also, just to clarify, getting funding from student finance partly relies on residency. You need to have been resident in the UK for at least 3 years for a purpose other than education as well as fitting the citizenship criteria.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni

    Graduates celebrate

    How to write a good personal statement

    Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

    Two students working together

    A-Z of universities

    Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

    A student working on a computer

    Personal statement help

    Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student looking down a microscope

    Planning open days

    Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

    Help out other students

    These questions still need an answer

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.