Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey
    I'm going to be 17 soon so I'm applying for my driving license.
    Where do you start?
    Once i've applied, what's next?
    I understand that you need to do a theroy test which I need to revise for.

thanks
    a step by step list will be helpful
    not very good within this topic
    sorry

ReputationRep:
    What resoruces do you need?

ReputationRep:
    Once you've got the licence, book a lesson. Your instructor will advise you on where to put in for your theory test. Good luck, you'll have no problem.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    - apply for license
    - look online and ask people for recommendations of driving instructors
    - call an instructor up, book a lesson
    - look online for your nearest theory centre
    - take a few lessons
    - book the theory test (I say do a few lessons first, because I found a lot of the questions a lot more intuitive and easier to answer once I had a few lessons under my belt.)

- take lessons
    - when ready, take practical test.

ReputationRep:
    I have been driving since last August and only did my theory in May. I'm a bit lazy.
    Doing it sooner is probably better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Typhoon235)
    I have been driving since last August and only did my theory in May. I'm a bit lazy.
    Doing it sooner is probably better.

How many lessons have you had?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutie Karen)
    How many lessons have you had?
    A lot. Too many to count, but if I had to guess I'd say between 50-60.

ReputationRep:
    A lot. Too many to count, but if I had to guess I'd say between 50-60.

Really. How can you afford them? Are you ready for your test? I am struggling especially with roundabouts and bay parking. Any tips

ReputationRep:
    Really. How can you afford them? Are you ready for your test? I am struggling especially with roundabouts and bay parking. Any tips
    For my 17th birthday last year my parents told me they'd fund the lessons. I am ready to do my test, although I keep putting it off because it just scares me a bit. I should really just go and do it instead of procrastinating :rolleyes:

I struggled with roundabouts too. Key thing: watch for the indicators, and if you don't know, don't go. Hesitating is a bad idea, if you start moving out you need to be committed to it as you could slow down other traffic (which=fail on the driving test).
    As for bay parking, it's kinda difficult to describe how to successfully do it. Lowering your passenger side mirror helps you to see the lines better, and starting to turn into the bay around 2 white lines (I think) in front of the bay you want makes it a lot easier to get in. Don't be afraid to pull out of the bay and adjust your position by moving forwards, you won't be penalised for that.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    For my 17th birthday last year my parents told me they'd fund the lessons. I am ready to do my test, although I keep putting it off because it just scares me a bit. I should really just go and do it instead of procrastinating :rolleyes:

I struggled with roundabouts too. Key thing: watch for the indicators, and if you don't know, don't go. Hesitating is a bad idea, if you start moving out you need to be committed to it as you could slow down other traffic (which=fail on the driving test).
    As for bay parking, it's kinda difficult to describe how to successfully do it. Lowering your passenger side mirror helps you to see the lines better, and starting to turn into the bay around 2 white lines (I think) in front of the bay you want makes it a lot easier to get in. Don't be afraid to pull out of the bay and adjust your position by moving forwards, you won't be penalised for that.

Hope that helps

Hi there,

That is great. If you think you are ready then you should take your test. Imagine the independence you will get once you pass. How much do you pay for your lessons? I really do hate roundabouts. Wish they would get rid of them forever. I want to do my test too but my instructor says I am not ready and my money is running out for my lessons. What shall I do? I can't find a job and no one will take me out for lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    But can't I revise for the theory myself rather than just going to lessons?
    I'd rather go for practical.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Thanks!
    But can't I revise for the theory myself rather than just going to lessons?
    I'd rather go for practical.
    You can start learning your practical before you learn the theory? So if you book a lesson with an instructor it's going to be practical stuff, not theory stuff. I mean, he might ask some questions (mine did on the long straight sections of road), but it's not going to be a theory lesson.

Essentially what you're doing is booking practical lessons because it can help with some of the 'real world' theory stuff. There are certain theory questions that become instinctive rather than learned because you've actually done the stuff rather than just read about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    You can start learning your practical before you learn the theory? So if you book a lesson with an instructor it's going to be practical stuff, not theory stuff. I mean, he might ask some questions (mine did on the long straight sections of road), but it's not going to be a theory lesson.

Essentially what you're doing is booking practical lessons because it can help with some of the 'real world' theory stuff. There are certain theory questions that become instinctive rather than learned because you've actually done the stuff rather than just read about it.

Oooohhhhh!!!!
    Thanks!
    What driving schools do you reccommend?
    I've heard RED is quite good?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Oooohhhhh!!!!
    Thanks!
    What driving schools do you reccommend?
    I've heard RED is quite good?
    I used an individual guy, not a school, so I can't recommend unfortunately. Opinions on schools are mixed - some say they're cheaper (especially if you block book) and you learn just as fast, but then some say you get 'taken on a ride' as it were, and they keep saying you aren't good enough when you are.

Ask around (friends/family). look for reviews.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

That is great. If you think you are ready then you should take your test. Imagine the independence you will get once you pass. How much do you pay for your lessons? I really do hate roundabouts. Wish they would get rid of them forever. I want to do my test too but my instructor says I am not ready and my money is running out for my lessons. What shall I do? I can't find a job and no one will take me out for lessons.
    Yeah I'm gonna book the test in the next few days
    I'm not sure but I pay in blocks of £100 for I think 5 lessons. I can't remember. Try and keep going with the lessons, if money is tight just scale back the number of lessons you do per month until you can find a job. They are out there, it's just a pain finding them. I'm having trouble finding one myself. Draft up a CV and shove it into every business you can find in your local area, then play the waiting game for a bit. I need to get off my arse and do that.
    Anyway, good luck with it. I hope you succeed in finding a job somewhere

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.