What's your favourite Larkin poem? Watch

GreenMonstrosity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I love Philip Larkin. My favourite poems are Days, Nothing to be Said and Water. They appeal to me primarily because of how they de-familiarise the ordinary and challenge assumptions about accepted social constructs. Which Larkin poems do you like, and why?
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
An Arundel Tomb and Ambulances stick in my mind. But I remember liking most of what I read by him.
Nikolas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I liked An Arundel Tomb a lot until it was slowly butchered by my english teacher over the course of what seemed like months... *sigh*
brains
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
An Arundel Tomb, Dublinesque and The Explosion - some of his were done to death by my English teacher though when I studied High Windows, she's like a Larkin groupie, interesting choice :laugh:
emilie87
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by GreenMonstrosity)
I love Philip Larkin. My favourite poems are Days, Nothing to be Said and Water. They appeal to me primarily because of how they de-familiarise the ordinary and challenge assumptions about accepted social constructs. Which Larkin poems do you like, and why?
I absolutely love 'Days' - everytime I read it I can't believe how good it is. Also 'Home is So Sad.' Incredible.
Loki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ones that have stuck with me are Nothing to be Said, An Arundel Tomb(it's the obvious one), A Study of Reading Habits and Maiden Name. Honorable mention goes to As Bad as a Mile for how wonderfully crafted it is.
noliesjustlove
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Larkin is wonderful. Despite being a righty hermit. A Writer is one of my favourites. As is This Be The Verse. However, one of my favourite poems EVER is Love, We Must Part Now. It's heartbreaking.
Champagne-Dahling
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Like "At Grass".
wilbur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
'Sad Steps' and 'If, My Darling' instantly spring to mind - quite a bit of 'High Windows' in fact, but I've enjoyed all of what little Larkin I've read.
Catsmeat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've only read the collection 'High Windows', but a poem which has stuck in my mind is 'The Building'. It's such a pessimistic and clinical commentary on sickness and mortality that everytime i'm near a hospital I usually think of it.
Teacher's_pet
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Personally I'm not a fan of Larkin, that's not to pick at your choices as everyone has different taste but I find the most bareable one is Sunny prestatyn. It's not as arrogant as my least favourites by Larkin and has a sort fo cryptic message with the cancer bit at the end. Although it's not on my top ten....
Merovingian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Teacher's_pet)
Personally I'm not a fan of Larkin, that's not to pick at your choices as everyone has different taste but I find the most bareable one is Sunny prestatyn. It's not as arrogant as my least favourites by Larkin and has a sort fo cryptic message with the cancer bit at the end. Although it's not on my top ten....
How is Larkin arrogant? If anything i think he avoided the pretentiousness that was/is typical of recent poetry.
sluggabed
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Philip Larkin - This Be The Verse

They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were ****ed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

excuse the expletives..but this is pure genius!
J'en ai marre
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"An Arundel Tomb", "Church Going" and "This be the verse". Larkin's cantankerousness and cynicism really appeal to me but there's definitely something very poignant about these poems. The same could be said of "Afternoons".
Eustacia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I second This Be The Verse. Much as I love my parents, there is much truth in the poem.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Everyone loves 'This Be The Verse' (including me ) but I love 'Talking In Bed' as well.
elladora86
Report 11 years ago
Days sends a chill up my spine whenever I read it-just this image of the doctor and priest with weird grins on their face, running in slow motion across the field towards me... what overactive imagination!?
kinkajou
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
An Arundel Tomb
poetic_harriyot
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
'Aubade' - his 'supposed last poem'... its perfect.
'The Whitsun Weddings' is good too... lovely ejaculation imagery at the end.

'A poem is not a poem with sex or death or both... but not necrophilia'
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This be the Verse I spose. I can't stand the guy. My English group voted UNANIMOUSLY to do a different option to the one that required studying Larkin's poetry lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (65)
27.2%
No (174)
72.8%

Watched Threads