Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone actually had to borrow money from a friend? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm job hunting big time yet I can not find one. Its incredibly difficult, I get no responses and I need one asap. I've applied to dozens on the .GOV website for any job I am legible for.

If this keeps up, I need to beg money from my friend, I hate it but its my last resort, I'm not even sure if I can repay it back.

I feel really low and this has really knocked my confidence down but I have an opportunity of a lifetime in August to study at one of the top universities in that country and have a new life.

I can not afford the flights as I need to save up money just to support myself until I can find a job in that country, its just the flights that I need to deal with.

My family is incredibly poor due to poor unfortunate circumstances and choices a family member has made and its screwed my entire family relations up and its finances. My own parents can not support me now.

I feel incredibly low that I may have to stoop to begging for money from a friend in the worst case scenario but I really don't want to lose this opportunity.

The only way I can repay back is pretty much servitude, I'll be in this guy's debt for life. I will try my best to offer any help no matter what the problem is etc, I really have nothing of value to give my friend back. I feel ****ing ashamed about even the idea of such concept.

ReputationRep:
    No though I have lent money our

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    No though I have lent money our
    How much? And why if it isn't too personal.

ReputationRep:
    I am the one who is always lending to others, I should start my own pay day loan company but without the massive interest.

Spoiler:
    Show
    My idea of interest: no interest until 1 week after the end of the calendar month.

E.G

Borrow on 14th of [month].
    Pay by 1st of [next month], if not you have until 8th of [said month].
    If still not paid by then add 2.5% of amount borrowed.
    This will increase by another 2.5% compound interest every week until amount has been paid.

If you pay a bit back, then interest will only be added to what needs to be paid back.

I will become rich heuehuehueh.

ReputationRep:
    I've had to ask for a lend of £20 once from a close friend for electricity and some bits and bobs of food. He didn't ask for the money back as he used to stay up at my flat a lot and I would let him share my food.

I usually go to my grandparents or my mum for a lend of money which is usually just a tenner or £20/30 here and there but they rarely ask for it back.

I've also lent money to close friends/family if they needed it too and I had it. I think the most they have asked for was about £50

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I borrowed £2 for a 99 yesterday but that's about as far as its gone.

ReputationRep:
    I've lent money before. A fair amount in one case, and I'm only just getting it back. It's difficult because I generally don't like doing it. I don't like lending money or owing money because it makes me feel really awkward and uncomfortable so I generally tried to avoid those sort of situations.
    A few months ago one of my very best friends whose like a sister to me asked to borrow about three or four thousand. At first I said yes out of loyalty to her but then I decided I couldn't afford it and my parents, whose advice I sought, said that financial lending could easily come between two friends. So, I told my friend I couldn't after all. It made things really **** between us for a good long while, but it's probably for the best.

Lending and borrowing money is all well and good, much like giving to charity, but you have to learn not to put yourself out too much. You'll only be hurting yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Never. I don't even ask parents tbh. Could never do it, even if i really needed.

I lend money though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have. I only recently got round to paying it all back actually .

She was really good and let me pay it back over the past six months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yakob)
    I'm job hunting big time yet I can not find one. Its incredibly difficult, I get no responses and I need one asap. I've applied to dozens on the .GOV website for any job I am legible for.

If this keeps up, I need to beg money from my friend, I hate it but its my last resort, I'm not even sure if I can repay it back.

I feel really low and this has really knocked my confidence down but I have an opportunity of a lifetime in August to study at one of the top universities in that country and have a new life.

I can not afford the flights as I need to save up money just to support myself until I can find a job in that country, its just the flights that I need to deal with.

My family is incredibly poor due to poor unfortunate circumstances and choices a family member has made and its screwed my entire family relations up and its finances. My own parents can not support me now.

I feel incredibly low that I may have to stoop to begging for money from a friend in the worst case scenario but I really don't want to lose this opportunity.

The only way I can repay back is pretty much servitude, I'll be in this guy's debt for life. I will try my best to offer any help no matter what the problem is etc, I really have nothing of value to give my friend back. I feel ****ing ashamed about even the idea of such concept.

I sort of get your situation, I skip meals and stuff just to get by cos i cant afford it on 2.68 an hour that my slave labour apprenticeship dole handout, as my parents kicked me out cos they 'want their space back'. Even if you cant take the opportunity at least you still have your friend and your parents, which is more than what can be said for me :'(

My advise is not to beg, I have tried it once and it brings so much shame that i wished i was dead

ReputationRep:
    Nope, but it has been the reverse though! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If this a good friend of yours then you shouldnt feel ashamed , especially of something that is beyond your control. I have lent money to a friend before and I would do it again if a good friend of mine was in trouble.Depending on how close you are and also on your friends financial situation, couldn't you just say you'll pay it back whenever you get the chance? Hope everything works out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yakob)
    How much? And why if it isn't too personal.
    Around £1000. Got £300 to pay me back now. Dont want to go in to details, to respect the other person's privacy...

That being said, got around another £1000 sitting at Zopa (for lending)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I borrowed £2 for a 99 yesterday but that's about as far as its gone.
    This is probably about the only amount I've ever borrowed

I like to have people's bank account details (no affiliation to my username), so I can transfer whatever I've borrowed in the first place

ReputationRep:
    I borrowed £5 off my friend who later became my bully.

I never gave it back. :mwuaha:

ReputationRep:
    I've lent money to a friend who called me specifically to ask (£50) but then other times I've done stuff like buy football tickets/Lent a tenner so they can buy drinks to a couple friends when they are out, and some of them just never offer.

Never borrowed off a friend though, I don't like doing it, I don't mind lending at all, but only to a select few.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No. I would never borrow money from a friend nor would I lend money to a friend. And if you aren't going to pay it back, that isn't 'lending'. Get an overdraft at the bank or try JSA.

ReputationRep:
    I borrowed 10 euros from my friend when we were in Spain. I paid her back the next day and gave her a bit more money than she gave me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Never from a friend. Borrowed about 6k from in laws though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.