Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is my waist is getting small but nowhere else? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Last summer I reached 25"(64 cm) barely waistline on 33"(84 cm) hips. I looked straight as a board from the waist down in legging not the best look but for Halloween I made it work just by wearing a top to accentuate my bustline to make the waist look most small despite being almost straight. I used to be 84 lbs I was a little under 24"(61cm). With 31" hips. At that point I was satisfied my waist had definition and straight hips and a butt that could look flat. I identify more male than female so it made my shoulders heavy gave me the ideal shape for man. I'm 18 when I last was this size. I was done with puberty probably 4 years before I'm an early bloomer. So I'm now 20 and waistline is 23 inches (in between 58 and 59 cm) But my weight 96-101 lbs. Originally when I gained my weightup from 84 lbs my waist was a comfortable 24. I have never had a waistline that was 23" almost exactly. I don't get why all of a sudden got a smaller waistline. It bothers me because it's like now too small I look too feminine. I looked up my whr and it's .7. I always tried to keep my whr above .71. I wanted to lose weight because I look overall more masculine then usually. But I don't want my waistline to get even smaller I want to keep my proportions. How can I lose weight but get my body shape back? And what causes weight loss in the waistline? I'm talking about losing fat not muscle. I thought one could change shapes why is mine seemingly changing? Is this normal? I'm 20 btw. Also how to build up muscle without building it everywhere?

If you can't do simple math and panic when you see my weight without actually recognizing I'm of healthy bmi currently. Then you can leave. The topic is about my waistline not whether I'm underweight or not. I'm 5'1". If you don't know what the required caloric intake is or the proper bmi is for a person my size then don't speak ignorantly on a topic you don't know about and keep it moving.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are really short you need to be careful with your weight, you're very light and being underweight is unhealthy. BMI has flaws but in your situation it is useful to keep an eye on. Your health has to come first so unless you are significantly less than 5ft tall loosing weight would be bad.

You also can't control where fat comes off, it's hormones and genetics mostly. You loose fat in general and it comes off where it comes off. The people who say you can are usually trying to sell you their way of getting a flat stomach in 4 weeks and you shouldn't take advice from anyone trying to sell you something. So loosing weight is unlikely to help you achieve your goals anyway.

So I think you need to consider your other options. Gaining muscle is a good one but why in some places and not others? Male bodies are more muscular all over, they are also generally bigger at the same height. Other option to consider is learning how to dress to make your body look more the shape you want.

To muscle gain is weight gain so you need to be eating more. Eat more and weight yourself, keep eating more each week until your weight is slowly going up. Eat a decent amount of protein in each meal but you don't need to obsess over protein intake.

The other half of gaining muscle is training, you will probably get away with bodyweight training at first for your upper body (though not so much your legs) but for best gains and longer term progress you'll want access to weights. Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 (google it) is a good starting routine for those more focused on looks than strength.

ReputationRep:
    my height is 5'1.5". I'm 18.5 in bmi right now normally when I was 18 I was 15.6 I was more comfortable there actually because I had an even more androgynous look. My mom is normal at a sedentary size 93 lbs. I'm 100 because I'm taller. When I eat healthily and am active my minimum sizeis84 lbs my mom'sgotten down to 80 I believe. My grandma was also naturally around 18.5 with a sedentary lifestyle 115 lbs/5'6". But I used to lose off my thighs and butt the most. I always had flat waistline but it just wasn't small compared to my bottom half so I had more a top heavy than heavy hourglassesque shape. Either way I have a shape people tend to think I'm a bio male due to the shape. I just don't like how the thighs and butt look when I gain and my body doesn't either I got stretch mark due to it on my butt and that was simply growing 31" to 33". I was never meant to be fat. It's just weird because now it's coming off my waistline that's not usual in my genetics when fat needs to be burn it's usually the bottom half. I also have a muscle mass of 84. And a fat percentage of 15%. When I was thinner it was about 10%. I can gain a lot of muscle easily but the problem is I gain it everywhere. I already have 40" shoulders so gaining muscle tends to build on that but my butt and thighs explode. Straight on it's ok because my hips stay straight but I just don't sometimes resort to eating healthier because I don't know how to just gain in the shoulders and arms and chest without build up my lower half.
    (Original post by BKS)
    Unless you are really short you need to be careful with your weight, you're very light and being underweight is unhealthy. BMI has flaws but in your situation it is useful to keep an eye on. Your health has to come first so unless you are significantly less than 5ft tall loosing weight would be bad.

You also can't control where fat comes off, it's hormones and genetics mostly. You loose fat in general and it comes off where it comes off. The people who say you can are usually trying to sell you their way of getting a flat stomach in 4 weeks and you shouldn't take advice from anyone trying to sell you something. So loosing weight is unlikely to help you achieve your goals anyway.

So I think you need to consider your other options. Gaining muscle is a good one but why in some places and not others? Male bodies are more muscular all over, they are also generally bigger at the same height. Other option to consider is learning how to dress to make your body look more the shape you want.

To muscle gain is weight gain so you need to be eating more. Eat more and weight yourself, keep eating more each week until your weight is slowly going up. Eat a decent amount of protein in each meal but you don't need to obsess over protein intake.

The other half of gaining muscle is training, you will probably get away with bodyweight training at first for your upper body (though not so much your legs) but for best gains and longer term progress you'll want access to weights. Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 (google it) is a good starting routine for those more focused on looks than strength.
    I eat about 1200 calories at the very least. I have to usually eat 1500 to be active. 1262 is the minimum I can eat. I just try not to hit 2000 so I don't double. I dress to accentuate the shape I want but ever so slightly see too much of a dent in the middle for whatever I wear I'm considering just going to wear really baggy clothing.

ReputationRep:
    Unless and until you won't do a proper workout and diet, you won't get a perfect body shape. Do not do all exercises, choose some of the exercises related to hips, chest, waist.  Do not eat less food as it may cause many physical problems. Eat nutritious food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justagirl20)
    my height is 5'1.5". I'm 18.5 in bmi right now normally when I was 18 I was 15.6 I was more comfortable there actually because I had an even more androgynous look. My mom is normal at a sedentary size 93 lbs. I'm 100 because I'm taller. When I eat healthily and am active my minimum sizeis84 lbs my mom'sgotten down to 80 I believe. My grandma was also naturally around 18.5 with a sedentary lifestyle 115 lbs/5'6". But I used to lose off my thighs and butt the most. I always had flat waistline but it just wasn't small compared to my bottom half so I had more a top heavy than heavy hourglassesque shape. Either way I have a shape people tend to think I'm a bio male due to the shape. I just don't like how the thighs and butt look when I gain and my body doesn't either I got stretch mark due to it on my butt and that was simply growing 31" to 33". I was never meant to be fat. It's just weird because now it's coming off my waistline that's not usual in my genetics when fat needs to be burn it's usually the bottom half. I also have a muscle mass of 84. And a fat percentage of 15%. When I was thinner it was about 10%. I can gain a lot of muscle easily but the problem is I gain it everywhere. I already have 40" shoulders so gaining muscle tends to build on that but my butt and thighs explode. Straight on it's ok because my hips stay straight but I just don't sometimes resort to eating healthier because I don't know how to just gain in the shoulders and arms and chest without build up my lower half.
    I eat about 1200 calories at the very least. I have to usually eat 1500 to be active. 1262 is the minimum I can eat. I just try not to hit 2000 so I don't double. I dress to accentuate the shape I want but ever so slightly see too much of a dent in the middle for whatever I wear I'm considering just going to wear really baggy clothing.
    I know it's not what you want to hear but it's the truth: your family being underweight doesn't make it a good idea for you to be too. A healthy BMI is minimum 18.5 and at 86lbs you're is 15, it's not something to aim for. If we were talking a little under 18.5 then probably not such a big deal but when you're talking about BMIs like 15 then you won't be eating enough so you are at risk of malnutrition no matter how healthy you eat because there's just not enough of it. 1200kcal is like a permanent diet.

What probably changed between now and when your waist was bigger is probably hormonal rather than genetic since your genetics can't have changed and you are still pretty young so hormonal change is a reasonable assumption. And getting stretch marks is more about speed of weight change than anything else. It doesn't mean anything about how your body should be..

I doubt anyone here would suggest you get fat but there's a huge difference between being underweight and being fat- perhaps because you come from a family of underweight people your sense of the norm is a bit off? You can have a low body fat percent and still be a healthy weight, you just need to add more muscle- have a look at the pictures:
    Name:  women-vs-men-visual-fat.jpg
Views: 3213
Size:  32.9 KB

Given your weight I think you'd have to be closer to the less muscular ones. I have a friend who competes in bodybuilding, she's about 5ft7 and her day to day weight is 57kg- she leans out more before comps. So that's BMI of 19 and about 15% bodyfat, going down to more like 10% to compete. Something like that would be much healthier.

I think more muscle will be perceived as more masculine by pretty much everyone. It also means you can be heavier which means eating a healthy amount. I'd always advise building muscle on your whole body but if that's really not an option for you then just train upper body- remember your back though, if for nothing else then because pushing but not pulling is bad for your shoulders. You could still do Icecream Fitness 5x5, just don't squat and deadlift.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I already said I look fat at normal weights... 18.5 is minimum for the average size person. I'm not average. I'll show you a photo of me fat last Halloween. I look like I definitely need to lose weight. I have a small frame and narrow hipline. The heaviest I can personally get is 100 lbs and still look healthy. It took me about a year and a half to reach 108. My body isslow to gain fat better at gaining muscle. I eat 1500 calories normally at the least if I'm active. I eat just fine actually. I just have a weirder frame.
    As you can see I don't look unhealthily thin in any of my photos. I just look small because that's what I am. When I overeat I become 108 I can't do much better than that I can gain muscle though but then the lower half will get too big.

(Original post by BKS)
    I know it's not what you want to hear but it's the truth: your family being underweight doesn't make it a good idea for you to be too. A healthy BMI is minimum 18.5 and at 86lbs you're is 15, it's not something to aim for. If we were talking a little under 18.5 then probably not such a big deal but when you're talking about BMIs like 15 then you won't be eating enough so you are at risk of malnutrition no matter how healthy you eat because there's just not enough of it. 1200kcal is like a permanent diet.

What probably changed between now and when your waist was bigger is probably hormonal rather than genetic since your genetics can't have changed and you are still pretty young so hormonal change is a reasonable assumption. And getting stretch marks is more about speed of weight change than anything else. It doesn't mean anything about how your body should be..

I doubt anyone here would suggest you get fat but there's a huge difference between being underweight and being fat- perhaps because you come from a family of underweight people your sense of the norm is a bit off? You can have a low body fat percent and still be a healthy weight, you just need to add more muscle- have a look at the pictures:

Given your weight I think you'd have to be closer to the less muscular ones. I have a friend who competes in bodybuilding, she's about 5ft7 and her day to day weight is 57kg- she leans out more before comps. So that's BMI of 19 and about 15% bodyfat, going down to more like 10% to compete. Something like that would be much healthier.

I think more muscle will be perceived as more masculine by pretty much everyone. It also means you can be heavier which means eating a healthy amount. I'd always advise building muscle on your whole body but if that's really not an option for you then just train upper body- remember your back though, if for nothing else then because pushing but not pulling is bad for your shoulders. You could still do Icecream Fitness 5x5, just don't squat and deadlift.

ReputationRep:
    Op I'm worried for your mental health. You have a clear desire to be overweight and seem obsessive over a few inches on your hips which will make no difference to how people perceive you whatsoever.

I recommend you atrat a proper diet and exercise regime wot the aim of keeping a healthy weight.

ReputationRep:
    I already said I look fat at normal weights... 18.5 is minimum for the average size person. I'm not average. I'll show you a photo of me fat last Halloween. I look like I definitely need to lose weight. I have a small frame and narrow hipline. The heaviest I can personally get is 100 lbs and still look healthy. It took me about a year and a half to reach 108. My body isslow to gain fat better at gaining muscle. I eat 1500 calories normally at the least if I'm active. I eat just fine actually. I just have a weirder frame.
    As you can see I don't look unhealthily thin in any of my photos. I just look small because that's what I am. When I overeat I become 108 I can't do much better than that I can gain muscle though but then the lower half will get too big.
    I don't think you're willing to listen to advice that isn't what you want to hear so I'm not sure there's much more to say.

I think you look normal in the first and in the rest properly skinny and if not unhealthily so then not far off though it's a bit hard to tell really from pictures that are just your stomach really.

And having that many pics to hand suggests you are unhealthily fixated on your waist. There's a lot to be said for changing how you think abut things but it's not easy.

ReputationRep:
    I was just saying 1200 is the minimum on the bmr calculator. Not that I don't get my calories in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    I don't think you're willing to listen to advice that isn't what you want to hear so I'm not sure there's much more to say.

I think you look normal in the first and in the rest properly skinny and if not unhealthily so then not far off though it's a bit hard to tell really from pictures that are just your stomach really.

And having that many pics to hand suggests you are unhealthily fixated on your waist. There's a lot to be said for changing how you think abut things but it's not easy.
    I guess you can't really understand the difference in one's body ability but let's just drop the whole too skinny thing ok? thanks but thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you can't really understand the difference in one's body ability but let's just drop the whole too skinny thing ok? thanks but thanks for the advice.
    Promise I won't post again in this thread after this since I don't think you want to hear but I really do feel the need for one last thing.

There is not significant difference in any people's bodies to gain/loose/maintain muscle or fat. Little difference yeah but nothing major unless you have taking bodybuilding drugs or have some sort of medical condition.

BMI is applicable to all people who aren't particularly muscular (you're not in case you are unsure) so if it says you aren't a healthy weight then you're not. That's what it was designed for. There's no particular type of frame it doesn't apply to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Promise I won't post again in this thread after this since I don't think you want to hear but I really do feel the need for one last thing.

There is not significant difference in any people's bodies to gain/loose/maintain muscle or fat. Little difference yeah but nothing major unless you have taking bodybuilding drugs or have some sort of medical condition.

BMI is applicable to all people who aren't particularly muscular (you're not in case you are unsure) so if it says you aren't a healthy weight then you're not. That's what it was designed for. There's no particular type of frame it doesn't apply to.

the subject of this post isn't whether I'm too thin or not though. And it doesn't seem you can do simple math. My bmi is within range... Someone of a 15 bmi that has a normal build looks anorexic. Compared to big people sure I look small but not compared to this. I find it annoying you panicked just because you saw 2 digits lol. If you did the math all the weights I said were within range. besides when I was 18 (15.6) I was only 10 lbs lighter. I know because I go to studies inpatient that pay more money for healthier people. They don't accept anyone that is too thin or too big anyone outside of the 18.5-24.5 range. I make it around 18.6 in bmi. My dr actually says I'm in perfect health. It sucks in a way going to the doctor complaining about my health in one way he'll see my bmi is 18.5 and say I'm a healthy person not at risk but if a person 30-40 lbs heavier came in there they'd take it more serious because they'd be overweight. Or if I were 10 lbs underweight. Even though when I was 17 and underweight she was overweight so my weight was scary to her but my mom came with me. So recognized the similarity. I've never been diagnosed with an eating problem. But bigger people like you have to always get stuck on a number. And no I don't have the average body if I did I'd probably be a lot bigger like 180 or something because last year I was the laziest pig ever last summer. I'm American. We tend to eat more than you guys do and fyi when I was 108 I ate a caloric diet of 5000 calories on many days. I ate the most fast food in a year and ate like 5 times a day. I have the opposite problem I'm actually an overeater. You may not believe that because you are stuck on a number but I can't help being short or having come from a family that is natural small. Nor can I help who my mom is. I wish I was bigger but I'm not. That's something I can't help.

And actually no you're so wrong some people are mesomorphs. Some are endomorphs. And others are ectomorphs. My grandpa was a bodybuilder. My mom from her parents are in between mesomorph and ectomorph. Which is why I have a harder time gaining weight. Some people have a hard time losing weight so why is it hard to understand vice verse. If you don't know that someone can a natural weight set at slim and think we are all naturally 20 something bmis. That's not true we all have a biological size our bodies are settled at. My maternal line's natural setting tends to be at around 18.5. So it's not too slim for me. And this is why I can go down 10 lbs and it not look as dramatic as this which is a 15.6 size. Also a 25" waist is not healthy for someone 5'1.5". I've looked all this up that's how I actually know my minimum weight caloric intake and waist size is. Also for women my waist when I was fat was not healthy for the whr 25/33 is not very unhealthy. It'd be suggested to lose weight.

I have talked to anorexics before to compare my symptoms. I just felt lighter. I never had the symptoms an anorexic had. That's all. I'm pretty defensive on the anorexic accusation because I never asked to be this way. Don't make the assumption if you're going to post here know exactly what is appropriate for someone 5'1" and not someone who is 5'6" with propensity to be medium to overweight. If we were all supposed to 20 something in bmi 18.5 wouldn't be healthy. If we were all the same there would be no range.

The topic was about my actual waistline shrinking though. Like what I could do to get it bigger without gaining fat. I don't care if you think I'm going to die tomorrow of malnutrition because I haven't eaten in a year. It's not my truth and not the topic of this conversation. And not my dr.'s concern.

That's an anorexic. Look on proana you'll found lots of people who 15 in bmi who look like they are dying. Not just small but not sufficient amount of fat.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Can't see your physique pictures on my phone, not sure if you've removed 'em.

I'm going to hold off til I've seen them but as a fourth year medic, I've never come across somebody I would describe as 'healthy' with a BMI of near 15, irrespective of height.

Either way, nobody is going to encourage a lifestyle of 1-1.2k kcals a day on a fitness forum. If you've really tracked and eaten 5k/day for an extended period and not gained weight then its time to visit the doctor.

I will also struggle to accept your GPs medical opinion if you appeared to have completed puberty at 14 with a weight of 84lb and nothing was done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Can't see your physique pictures on my phone, not sure if you've removed 'em.

I'm going to hold off til I've seen them but as a fourth year medic, I've never come across somebody I would describe as 'healthy' with a BMI of near 15, irrespective of height.

Either way, nobody is going to encourage a lifestyle of 1-1.2k kcals a day on a fitness forum. If you've really tracked and eaten 5k/day for an extended period and not gained weight then its time to visit the doctor.

I will also struggle to accept your GPs medical opinion if you appeared to have completed puberty at 14 with a weight of 84lb and nothing was done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said I was 96-101 lbs and I'm 5'1". So that's healthy....

And last time I was 17. I was 10 lbs underweight when I was at the dr. But she figured I was just a younger version of my mom (93 lbs).

I never said I'd eat a caloric diet of 1000. Here's a calc you can do the math yourself the minimum intake for someone my size is 1200. Which is the minimum I can eat with a sedentary lifestyle otherwise I need more for more energy like at least 1500.

I gained 20 lbs in a spand of a year and a half of a lazy lifestyle and fast food restaurant binging. That's how I became 108. I suck at gaining weight through fat. Better at muscle packing. But I get muscle on the lower half which I don't want. I'm better than my mom she has binged in her life and stayed in the 90's. My mom's family stay in the 18.5 range. At 108 I was 20 so that as pretty large for my genetics. And yes I removed the photo.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

I haven't been 84 lbs since 18. People grow differently. But I've settled at 100 lbs. I am asking how I can make my waistline less small. No guy wants to be small. I don't want a small waistline. I don't want to be petit. That's just what I happen to be. And it's not the subject of this conversation. Would you really tell someone with a 24 bmi to lose weight when it's a healthy size? No then why someone with a 18.5 bmi?

ReputationRep:
    Only being 19 I already had stretch marks on my waistline, some on the side of my thighs, and also up my side. I had been using coco butter but didn't see the results I wanted. I started using dermalmd stretch mark serum and the lighter stretch marks started slowly fading away. It doesn't work quickly it usually takes about 2 weeks before you actually start seeing improvements and this is only for the lighter and newer ones. For the darker and older ones I use
    dermalmd stretch mark serum but I would also apply African shea butter on them also. I notice if I use both the serum and the butter every day in the morning and at night the stretch marks were fading quicker than before. At the end of the week, I use a vitamin e oil just to tighten up the skin. Overall I love the product!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.