Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My friend wants to do engineering but it's too late to change options however since she does further maths and is doing more mechanics, does she have a chance of getting a place in Aerospace.? Or any engineering degree for that matter. She was interested in electrical engineering as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It totally and utterly depends on the entry requirements for the universities. Your friend would do well to find some universities in their predicted grade area and see what they ask for. League tables will give an exceptionally vague outlook on what sort of university is appropriate, but it can be used as a starting point.

Maths is going to be required. Engineering is mostly maths.
    Further maths is not required as not all colleges offer it, but it would be very good to have.
    Physics is sometimes required, sometimes not. I would suspect that they look at further maths positively instead of this.

The French and history aren't really applicable to engineering, but they shouldn't be a negative. Usually you can change your options well into the first couple of weeks of term (I am assuming you are about to enter into A-levels?). You can also privately study subjects if it turns out physics will be required at their estimated universities.

For reference, I did AS maths, A2 physics, A2 product design technology and A2 electronics for mechanical engineering. I honestly believe this is one of the most useful combinations for going into engineering as you will use one of those subjects at least once a day.

If in doubt, directly email the admissions team for the university. They are very friendly and want your business, so let them know what subjects are being taken and if it would be appropriate. They may make their own offer which is different from that which is posted in the entry requirements section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    It totally and utterly depends on the entry requirements for the universities. Your friend would do well to find some universities in their predicted grade area and see what they ask for. League tables will give an exceptionally vague outlook on what sort of university is appropriate, but it can be used as a starting point.

Maths is going to be required. Engineering is mostly maths.
    Further maths is not required as not all colleges offer it, but it would be very good to have.
    Physics is sometimes required, sometimes not. I would suspect that they look at further maths positively instead of this.

The French and history aren't really applicable to engineering, but they shouldn't be a negative. Usually you can change your options well into the first couple of weeks of term (I am assuming you are about to enter into A-levels?). You can also privately study subjects if it turns out physics will be required at their estimated universities.

For reference, I did AS maths, A2 physics, A2 product design technology and A2 electronics for mechanical engineering. I honestly believe this is one of the most useful combinations for going into engineering as you will use one of those subjects at least once a day.

If in doubt, directly email the admissions team for the university. They are very friendly and want your business, so let them know what subjects are being taken and if it would be appropriate. They may make their own offer which is different from that which is posted in the entry requirements section.

Thanks for the reply. We are both in year 12 going to yr 13. do you think it would benefit if she does more mechanics modules (M1,M2,M3). Or would foundation year be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng)
    Thanks for the reply. We are both in year 12 going to yr 13. do you think it would benefit if she does more mechanics modules (M1,M2,M3). Or would foundation year be better.
    The first step should be asking the universities. Tell them the situation and let them know what steps could be taken (such as taking mechanics modules) before jumping into anything else.

You do not always need physics to do engineering, but the mechanics modules will be very useful and may replace the need for physics.

In any event, the universities are the people to contact as they are the people making the offers. A foundation year will be more for those who haven't done the right subjects or to the correct standard - Your friend is doing the right subjects for some courses.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.