dimar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
okay...
can i use multiple paragraphs in my personal statement?
i am applying for two programs (history and english)...do i have to write two different personal statements?
help with opening sentence? i have no idea.....
Thankssss :p:):o:$
CallMeBatwoman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can write it in multiple paragraphs, applying via UCAS you can only submit one personal statement for all your applications (assuming this is university you're talking about) so maybe focus on area's where the two are related that you enjoy (e.g. history of English (applicable to lang/lit). I remember when I wrote mine last year I opened with what it is about the subject that made it special for me and why it fascinated me, though this may be tricky for 2 subjects but I'd recommend avoiding looking at too many examples, maybe one or two if you're really stuck, but if you look at too many yours may come to lack originality.
Groundearth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you apply for two completely different degrees, like history and English, you will be rejected by all of them. The personal statement is where you show your interest and dedication to studying one subject; universities want committed people and an admissions tutor for English is not going to let you in when half of your PS is about how much you want to study history. Either choose one or don't bother trying to go to university at all, as all your applications will go in the bin.
michaelhaych
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Having to write a personal statement that encompasses 2 subjects is very difficult and will likely weaken your application; eventually you WILL have to choose which of the 2 subjects you want to study so you might as well choose before you send off your application and write a much stronger statement.

When in English do you not use paragraphs?

We can't give you opening lines on a public forum as they will be flagged for plagiarism when you submit your statement. Look at examples in the Personal Statement section of the forum here and here and take advantage of the TSR Personal Statement Help private forum.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You have to show a dedication to a particular field or it shows that you're unsure of what you really want to pursue, unless all your choices are joint honours.
dimar
Rep:
?
my reasoning for applying for two is because i want to be able to teach both subjects...
Groundearth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dimar)
my reasoning for applying for two is because i want to be able to teach both subjects...
You can't teach both; you have to choose one. No university is going to take you if you're not dedicated enough to one. You need to choose one course at five different universities and apply for that.
dimar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Groundearth)
You can't teach both; you have to choose one. No university is going to take you if you're not dedicated enough to one. You need to choose one course at five different universities and apply for that.
What I'm saying is that I want to have 2 subjects under my belt when I'm looking for a job.
Groundearth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dimar)
What I'm saying is that I want to have 2 subjects under my belt when I'm looking for a job.
I don't understand. Are you wanting to apply for joint English & history degrees, or some separate English degrees and some separate history degrees?
TheWorldEndsWithMe
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For what it's worth, you can apply for multiple different subjects, but writing a statement becomes much harder if they aren't at least related (eg one course do to Ancient History and another of just straight up History, or two similar healthcare subjects).

If you're interested in both you might want to look towards joint honour degrees? Either that or pick one, becausd it's going to be hard to write a statement for History AND English.
alexandraMz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dimar)
okay...
can i use multiple paragraphs in my personal statement?
i am applying for two programs (history and english)...do i have to write two different personal statements?
help with opening sentence? i have no idea.....
Thankssss :p:):o:$
I'm afraid I have to agree with the rest about having to choose one subject to make your statement stronger. For an opening sentence, I'd go with something simple - e.g. "Language is universal." (Not that!) Our counselors told us we can start with a famous quote and explain how we find it applicable to our subject. Good luck!
dimar
Rep:
?
thanks everyone this helped
i have a lot to think about now
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alexandraMz)
I'm afraid I have to agree with the rest about having to choose one subject to make your statement stronger. For an opening sentence, I'd go with something simple - e.g. "Language is universal." (Not that!) Our counselors told us we can start with a famous quote and explain how we find it applicable to our subject. Good luck!
I hate to go against a fellow professional, but opening with a quotation is terrible advice. Use your own words, not anyone else's. The chance of finding a quotation which isn't both cliched and cringe-inducing is minimal.
alexandraMz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
I hate to go against a fellow professional, but opening with a quotation is terrible advice. Use your own words, not anyone else's. The chance of finding a quotation which isn't both cliched and cringe-inducing is minimal.
Haha alright, I guess that's a fair point to make. I was just trying to pass down what I've been told but you know better.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haha alright, I guess that's a fair point to make. I was just trying to pass down what I've been told but you know better.
I wouldn't normally be boastful but in this case, when I've had three decades of experience of processing Ucas applications, yes, I'm afraid I do.
Jkizer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Some university departments allow you send a second (adjusted) personal statement, so may be worth at least inquiring to some of your choices whether they do this sort of thing
alexandraMz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
I wouldn't normally be boastful but in this case, when I've had three decades of experience of processing Ucas applications, yes, I'm afraid I do.
Oh wow, did you work with UCAS?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh wow, did you work with UCAS?
No, I'm a sixth form tutor, and we get all sorts of training stuff from them. Plus we get to go on courses run by university admissions tutors.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads