Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 12 and I am going to apply for medicine. I am going to do an extended project related to cardiology but I do not have any ideas. Please can you give me some ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamR)
    I am in year 12 and I am going to apply for medicine. I am going to do an extended project related to cardiology but I do not have any ideas. Please can you give me some ideas.
    Heya, I'm going to put this in the Biology forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=129
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamR)
    What exactly are you looking to do - experiments? surveys? etc

In terms of cardiology, the main issues are surrounding ischaemic heart disease (things like heart attacks and angina). So I would suggest looking at an aspect of this, whether it be the pathology/risk factors or more to do with treatment and management. Risk factor-wise it also ties in with other things pathologies as hypertension and hyperlipidaemias, which could both be other focus points in themselves.

If IHD doesn't appeal to you so much, maybe you could look at congenital heart defects?

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you
    Could you give a few titles which I can do for my extended project related to cardiology

In terms of cardiology, the main issues are surrounding ischaemic heart disease (things like heart attacks and angina). So I would suggest looking at an aspect of this, whether it be the pathology/risk factors or more to do with treatment and management. Risk factor-wise it also ties in with other things pathologies as hypertension and hyperlipidaemias, which could both be other focus points in themselves.

If IHD doesn't appeal to you so much, maybe you could look at congenital heart defects?[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    congenital heart defects- for this can you also give some extended project titles.
    To do an extended project on congenital heart defects what am I suppose to do. Should I write an essay

The effect of nicotine on congenital heart defects - Does this title good for an EPQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamR)
    congenital heart defects- for this can you also give some extended project titles.
    To do an extended project on congenital heart defects what am I suppose to do. Should I write an essay

The effect of nicotine on congenital heart defects - Does this title good for an EPQ
    "The anatomy and common pathologies of the paediatric heart"
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamR)

A few possibilities :-

For IHD:
    - The link between lifestyle and risk of developing ischaemic heart disease
    - Lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of heart disease

Congenital Heart defects:
    - Effect of maternal nicotine could be a good idea, but you could widen to 'Effect of drugs/nutrition'

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not clear on what this is. An essay i assume?

You could try to look at quality of life in those with congenital heart defects. You could look at the decline in heart bypass surgery and whether it will be completely obsolete soon. Most effective exercise plans for IHD prevention might be an interesting one. The research into growing new hearts from stem cells might be interesting but i'm not sure how much info there will be - its obviously a way off yet. Congenital long QT might have some interesting questions to be asked around it.

There are loads of things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.