Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ITT: Starting strength and newbie lifter needs help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys just a few Q I have to all you lifters. Last year I did SS and made some little gains but had to stop 1/2 way through as I did BJJ. Now I want to fully commit to it. I am 6'1 and 90KG...although I am happy with my weight ( I used to be skinny as fuark) it is mostly fat and have a belly:/. I don't mind putting on weight as long as its not that much, I used to drink a **** load of milk when I was on SS. So could you guys tell me if I should go ahead with it? and how should my diet be? should I be aiming for 3K calories? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggieduet)
    Hey guys just a few Q I have to all you lifters. Last year I did SS and made some little gains but had to stop 1/2 way through as I did BJJ. Now I want to fully commit to it. I am 6'1 and 90KG...although I am happy with my weight ( I used to be skinny as fuark) it is mostly fat and have a belly:/. I don't mind putting on weight as long as its not that much, I used to drink a **** load of milk when I was on SS. So could you guys tell me if I should go ahead with it? and how should my diet be? should I be aiming for 3K calories? thanks!
    I'd eat at around maintanence calories. Don't be looking to cut but don't pile on more weight if you're fat and have a belly. Aim to eat whatever calories you want but weight in weekly. If it goes up eat less, if it goes down eat more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    I'd eat at around maintanence calories. Don't be looking to cut but don't pile on more weight if you're fat and have a belly. Aim to eat whatever calories you want but weight in weekly. If it goes up eat less, if it goes down eat more.
    thanks for the reply! The only thing I am concernced about is that if I am not bulking or eating more how would I gain the necessary weight to lift heavier??

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply! The only thing I am concernced about is that if I am not bulking or eating more how would I gain the necessary weight to lift heavier??
    NEwb gains. You don't need to be eating 4k kcals a day to lift more at the beginning you'll lift a load more all the time anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    NEwb gains. You don't need to be eating 4k kcals a day to lift more at the beginning you'll lift a load more all the time anyway.
    Nice one! Also could you tell me what my macros should be? As in how much protein should I be getting and how much carbs and fat. I have this cool app called myfitnesspal which I am using to let me know what I should be getting. It says 50% carbs 20% protein and 30% fat.

20% protein is around 150g. Do you that is enough a day?

Thanks again for help!

ReputationRep:
    Nice one! Also could you tell me what my macros should be? As in how much protein should I be getting and how much carbs and fat. I have this cool app called myfitnesspal which I am using to let me know what I should be getting. It says 50% carbs 20% protein and 30% fat.

20% protein is around 150g. Do you that is enough a day?

Thanks again for help!
    Sounds good to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.