Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm thinking of signing up for the NPLQ course my local swimming pool is running next month, but before I do I'd like to get a better idea of what to expect.

Has anyone on here completed the NPLQ, and if so can you tell me a bit about your experience with the course and the exam(s), please? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Generally, if you are a competent swimmer you will pass the pool aspect of the course. generally, the times the specify are actual quite slow and most people able to swim whilst pull someone can make them. you'll be expected to be able to tow casualties both head above water and head under, you'll do a "deep dive", this is a basis in which they certify you for ie if the pool you do your course in is 1.8m then the maximum you will be allowed to work in is 1.8m without extra training although most centers will take you one and just make you go through staff training for this so its not too much of an issue.

the first aid side is just a general first aid coverage: bandages, CPR, dealing with dangerous areas etc. if you have any previous first aid training, expect for it to be covered again.

then you have all the other business like pool management, responsibilities, spotting techniques and such that's all on the theory side.

the examiners, or at least the ones I've had, have tended to be very helpful and will often prompt you towards the correct answer anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou! That sounds pretty cool

If you don't mind, I just have one more question please: How much time is spent in the pool vs How much of the course is theory? Or is the theory taught in the pool? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aetcode)
    Thankyou! That sounds pretty cool

If you don't mind, I just have one more question please: How much time is spent in the pool vs How much of the course is theory? Or is the theory taught in the pool? Thanks
    off the top of my head I cant remember the times, im tempted to say it was 3 hours pool time and then 3 or 4 spent doing theory, obviously with breaks!

the theory usually isnt taught in the pool, they should take you to a room where you are dry and able to focus on whats being said

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but can either of you answer me this - what kind of shirt do they require me to wear to it? like it is a polo shirt or is it a rash vest, I really don't know. Thanks in advance guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakey_)
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but can either of you answer me this - what kind of shirt do they require me to wear to it? like it is a polo shirt or is it a rash vest, I really don't know. Thanks in advance guys
    doesn't matter really, they prefer for it not to be a rash vest. you don't get penalized for it though. best bit is your bog standard plain old t shirt. One you don't really care about much and isn't much to replace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themightysals)
    doesn't matter really, they prefer for it not to be a rash vest. you don't get penalized for it though. best bit is your bog standard plain old t shirt. One you don't really care about much and isn't much to replace.
    Thanks very much, I start in an hour!

ReputationRep:
    OP:

The course is very easy to pass and once you've passed, you'll easily find a job.

However, lifeguarding is boring as hell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt2042)
    OP:

However, lifeguarding is boring as hell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed. OP - find a large centre where you'll be doing lots of other stuff alongside pool life guarding. I was a lifeguard for 4 years

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.