Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

which are the best universities for a masters in finance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Other than LSE and City university.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ng+%26+Finance

I hope this will kinda help you. If not, search in Google for best uk universities by subject finance but usually you willd found it in conjuction with Accounting

ReputationRep:
    Define 'best'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Define 'best'.
    :ditto:

And ignore the poster who thinks undergrad rankings mean anything for this question. Even the postgrad finance rankings have problems as they are incomplete and missing some top programs, but they would be a better start. Note there is no overall ranking either but split between pre and post experience.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...xperience-2013

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    :ditto:

And ignore the poster who thinks undergrad rankings mean anything for this question. Even the postgrad finance rankings have problems as they are incomplete and missing some top programs, but they would be a better start. Note there is no overall ranking either but split between pre and post experience.

No doubt that undergraduate rankings do not indicate the best masters in finance however as you also already mentioned, there not many websites that provide you with accurate and extend information in regards to postgraduate studies therefore undergradute rankings can give you a boost but of course one should not be stick to that only. As you seem to know lot's about it, which of the following universities you would suggest for the course of Financial Risk Management: University of Leeds, Southampton and Glasgow ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andreascy)
    Financial Risk Management: University of Leeds, Southampton and Glasgow ?
    You need to look at the course content and decide which one is most relevant to your needs and interests. 'Rankings' are a nutty way to choose a University course, especially at postgrad level. You should also actually visit them and/or look at their promotional videos on You Tube.

No-one can decide this for you. No-one else can tell you which Uni you should pick, which Uni you will enjoy the most, which course will interest you the most or whether or not you will have good time there. If you aren't feeling grown-up or committed enough to decide this sort of thing for yourself, then you really should be asking yourself why you want to do postgrad at all.

ReputationRep:
    You need to look at the course content and decide which one is most relevant to your needs and interests. 'Rankings' are a nutty way to choose a University course, especially at postgrad level. You should also actually visit them and/or look at their promotional videos on You Tube.

No-one can decide this for you. No-one else can tell you which Uni you should pick, which Uni you will enjoy the most, which course will interest you the most or whether or not you will have good time there. If you aren't feeling grown-up or committed enough to decide this sort of thing for yourself, then you really should be asking yourself why you want to do postgrad at all.
    Well, i already decided to go for University of Leeds however, my first degree was in my Country done (Cyprus) and it was in Management Information Systems and therefore is clearly not correlated with Finance. This is the reason i wanted for some more opinions in regards about these universities. Of course i made my own research up to now but an opinion wont bother

ReputationRep:
    q

This is a bit naive, we arent talking about studying a liberal arts degree because it enriches your soul - if you are paying £20k+ for a finance masters then its purely because you want a job paying a 6 figure salary within a few years of graduation. It will be much more difficult to get one of those if your finance degree doesnt say 'LBS', 'LSE, or 'Oxford' on it (maybe a few others like Warwick/Cass/Imperial too). Prestige counts for a lot when it comes to top end financial recruiment.

That isnt to say graduates from other universities dont get good jobs, just that they may struggle when it comes to the most competitive (and hence highest paying) jobs.

and yeah you should ignore the undergrad list that someone else posted above, its ridiculous. LSE and Warwick are the only 2 prestigious places in the top 10; the problem is that the best finance masters programs are taught in business schools, and bschools usually dont admit undergrads. You cant do an undergrad finance degree at LBS/Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial/Cass for example, they only do postgrad finance courses (and undergrad 'finance and accounting' or 'finance and management' degrees dont really count - even at the few decent universities that offer these, they tend to be considered easier and less prestigious than Economics degrees, and have lower admissions requirements and expect salaries as a result, whereas the good masters level finance courses are considered as stand-alone and rigorous degrees in their own right).

ReputationRep:
    Oxford/Imperial/Warwick/LBS/Cranfield/Cass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poohat)

and yeah you should ignore the undergrad list that someone else posted above, its ridiculous. LSE and Warwick are the only 2 prestigious places in the top 10; the problem is that the best finance masters programs are taught in business schools, and bschools usually dont admit undergrads. You cant do an undergrad finance degree at LBS/Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial/Cass for example, they only do postgrad finance courses (and undergrad 'finance and accounting' or 'finance and management' degrees dont really count - even at the few decent universities that offer these, they tend to be considered easier and less prestigious than Economics degrees, and have lower admissions requirements and expect salaries as a result, whereas the good masters level finance courses are considered as stand-alone and rigorous degrees in their own right).
    Well clarified.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say, in no particular order, Imperial, Oxford, LBS, Warwick. Coming from either of those should give you a chance to go through CV screening

ReputationRep:
    I don't think enough credit has been given to continental schools, which although no LSE, are a damn close second. I'd recommend looking at, amongst others, Universität St. Gallen and HEC Paris.

ReputationRep:
    According to Financial Times, masters of/in finance are best at London Business School, University of London, one of the Singaporean schools, University of Hong Kong, and two other schools I cannot remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clh_hilary)
    According to Financial Times, masters of/in finance are best at London Business School, University of London, one of the Singaporean schools, University of Hong Kong, and two other schools I cannot remember.
    Both FT rankings were already linked to above....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.