Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there! Having just spent six hours at my sixth form taster day, I've started to insert about tweaking my subject choices a little, and I wanted some advice.

As it stands, my choices are as follows:

English Literature
    Modern History
    Film Studies (most likely to be dropped after AS)
    Philosophy

At the introduction sessions to each of these subjects, I was really impressed by the curriculums and the teachers of all but English Lit - which is regardless non-negotiable, as I'm pretty sure I want to study it at English Language. Philosophy and History were just all around amazing - film studies seemed to be filled with people who were much more interested in a presumed easy grade than film, but the teacher was incredible, and we covered a huge variety of very interesting things just in the hour of the taster session.

Anyway: as I heard the A2 students and teachers talking about it, and sound some reading on the course, I began to feel increasingly enthusiastic about Politics. I was kind of snotty about it before, to be honest, because I thought it would be overly simplistic and culturally myopic, but everything I heard suggests the opposite. The teaching is done mostly by the history and philosophy teachers, too, who I liked very much - so I know I'd be in with a very good chance of getting a good teacher. Also, it synergies really well with all my other subjects, especially history.

So, what do you think I should do? Forget about politics? Take on 5 AS's? Drop another subject, because it's unlikely to fulfil my expectations? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TallerThanSmall)
    Hello there! Having just spent six hours at my sixth form taster day, I've started to insert about tweaking my subject choices a little, and I wanted some advice.

As it stands, my choices are as follows:

English Literature
    Modern History
    Film Studies (most likely to be dropped after AS)
    Philosophy

At the introduction sessions to each of these subjects, I was really impressed by the curriculums and the teachers of all but English Lit - which is regardless non-negotiable, as I'm pretty sure I want to study it at English Language. Philosophy and History were just all around amazing - film studies seemed to be filled with people who were much more interested in a presumed easy grade than film, but the teacher was incredible, and we covered a huge variety of very interesting things just in the hour of the taster session.

Anyway: as I heard the A2 students and teachers talking about it, and sound some reading on the course, I began to feel increasingly enthusiastic about Politics. I was kind of snotty about it before, to be honest, because I thought it would be overly simplistic and culturally myopic, but everything I heard suggests the opposite. The teaching is done mostly by the history and philosophy teachers, too, who I liked very much - so I know I'd be in with a very good chance of getting a good teacher. Also, it synergies really well with all my other subjects, especially history.

So, what do you think I should do? Forget about politics? Take on 5 AS's? Drop another subject, because it's unlikely to fulfil my expectations? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    What do you think you want to study at uni?

I would say drop film studies for politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    What do you think you want to study at uni?

I would say drop film studies for politics.
    Hi, thanks for your response! I meant to say I want to study English Lit at University, but in a stunning display of incompetence instead said I wanted to study it at 'English Language' - which, of course, does not make sense.

I suppose Film Studies is in many ways the most rational to drop - I wasn't a huge fan of the people there, it's the least academically prestigious, and I was planning to drop it at A2. However, I really do love film, both of the teachers seem outstanding, and I while I may not have loved all the other students, don't want to be too insular about the people I spend my time with - there's likely to be a lot of overlap between Philosophy and Politics, Philosophy and Literature, and especially History and Politics. And the curriculum really did look quite excellent.

One other factor is that I'm mostly interested in Politics for the second year, which (in my sixth form) focuses on Political Philosophy. That's not to say the first year doesn't sound interesting, but the second is the big draw. So, that's another factor to consider

It's a tough one; I think you might be right, but I'm going to think it over some more. Thanks again for your help - any other perspectives would be much appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.