Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How does Technology & Computer's help us in the current world? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How does Technology & Computer's help us in the current world?

What do you think? Your opinions?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    The world would pretty much collapse at this point without computers and the infrastructures they've allowed us to build. So much of what we do is dependent on them.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine, from today, you had no access to any sort of computer (including a phone, an MP3 player, calculator, etc.).

How would you check your emails?
    How would you keep yourself entertained throughout the day?
    How would you communicate with people across the globe?
    How would you keep in contact with your friends from the past?
    How would you learn anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The world would pretty much collapse at this point without computers and the infrastructures they've allowed us to build. So much of what we do is dependent on them.
    Yeah, kinda like that TV show Revolution
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    When was the last time you went for a day without using any sort of electronic computer? So that's the computers side, as for technology, depends what you count, but being somewhat petty about it, I assume you live in a house, not a cave?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    When was the last time you went for a day without using any sort of electronic computer? So that's the computers side, as for technology, depends what you count, but being somewhat petty about it, I assume you live in a house, not a cave?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, there's no way I'll be able to go without my computer, phone or tablet

ReputationRep:
    When was the last time you went for a day without using any sort of electronic computer?
    About 7.5 years ago for the most part of two months. It was lovely tbh. :yep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    Imagine, from today, you had no access to any sort of computer (including a phone, an MP3 player, calculator, etc.).

How would you check your emails?
    Well,no tech=no email=no problem
    How would you keep yourself entertained throughout the day?
    Books? outside? sport? physical games [board etc]
    How would you communicate with people across the globe?
    What's communicating with other people?
    How would you keep in contact with your friends from the past?
    The postal service does exist, you know?
    How would you learn anything?
    Books are a thing, you know? as are schools

ReputationRep:
    Well,no tech=no email=no problem

Books? outside? sport? physical games [board etc]
    Not of interest to many people. If it was, there wouldn't be so many fat people.

What's communicating with other people?
    Funny.

The postal service does exist, you know?
    Oh I'm sure you'd write your friends all the time.
    There was a reason social networking has gotten so popular.

Books are a thing, you know? as are schools
    Books and schools teach you so little in comparison to the internet. Books get outdated fast. General knowledge wouldn't be nearly as widespread as it is today - e.g. my mum still thinks the sun goes around the earth.

Do you honestly think the internet would have been so popular if books and board games could suffice?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    Not of interest to many people. If it was, there wouldn't be so many fat people.
    It's not because it's of less interest, it comes down to the fact that you can have the fun without having to use as much energy, which, if we were still in the wild, per-se, would be far more favourable.

Funny.

Oh I'm sure you'd write your friends all the time.
    There was a reason social networking has gotten so popular.
    Even with social networking I will barely ever talk to them, those I will I would probably write to anyway.

Books and schools teach you so little in comparison to the internet. Books get outdated fast. General knowledge wouldn't be nearly as widespread as it is today - e.g. my mum still thinks the sun goes around the earth.
    Yes, the newer information wouldn't spread or distill down from the universities and other research institutions as fast as it does now, and some stuff, such as what your mum believes, whether it's a hypothetical or actual mother, is just idiocy, it's general knowledge that has been round for thousands of years, and has been widely accepted for hundreds. The most important matters of learning can be done from widely available books and schools, it's only the more advanced knowledge that has to be gained from the internet, BOOKS, RESEARCH PAPERS/PUBLICATIONS. The internet isn't the only source, just a convenient one.

Do you honestly think the internet would have been so popular if books and board games could suffice?
    Why don't you talk to your parents and grandparent? Are you saying that before the internet everybody was bored stiff all day?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.