I'm interested in... Anime

I'm thinking about... Killing myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tasaber)
    I'm studying... Maths at UCL

I'm interested in... Anime

I'm thinking about... Killing myself

Hi, welcome to the student room

you might find the degree level maths forum useful - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...ee-level-maths

feel free to message me or hit reply if you have any questions

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks, yeah recently I was just trying to compare maths departments from universities. Everyone in the forums is bashing on UCL being poor (like literally below the top "dozen"), but surely it can't be that bad. Not to mention employers of the various fields, only a minority would pay attention to detail like that. Well UCL's reputation should at least hold it in place for a good degree, but im saying if this department relocated elsewhere to a university with a bad name, then it won't exactly be shining would it.

But the professors and lecturers here ARE top class, and the teaching is great! What matters is that I like it here. What I believe is that the quality of maths here is fine, at a good level, but its just that the majority of the clever people have gone to places like Warwick and oxbridge for maths, making UCL a 3rd, 4th or even 5th choice when you consider imperial too. Infact the left overs for UCL, and the minority who just want to go to UCL for maths (theres Imperial for the London life)... there aren't that many top class students going to UCL. What I'm saying is basically, to quote from another forum, EVEN if you do excel in UCL, you are nothing but a "big fish in a small pond", that is, if the big fish moves to Warwick, its just among a shoal of fish and sharks, and blue whales, and god knows what else.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered welcome lounge threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.