The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by MUN123
lol, I am a graduate and all the entry level starter jobs for junior Software developer/engineers is less than 20k, you'd expect that they'll pay a respectful some after quoting loads of skills on job description i.e must know C++, C#, JAVA, python, oracle, JavaScript and the list goes on. Best thing to do is to look abroad that's what I am doing atm

Or bump stupid dev crap and go into project management.
Reply 461
Original post by Wisefire
Still not as wealthy as about 15 people I know, if you wanna play some competition :tongue: I guessed that (net worth at least 5mil). Of course he'd be well in excess of one meagre million. Once you have a million, it's so much easier to make it into more. Just... How do I get there. That's a ballers life, eh. Hell, I have 2 standards/expectations for myself. One is the middle-class aspiration (500-800k London property, which isn't much here, a 60-100k car, and just enough money to invest, go travel in the car/have holidays/eat good food/go to nice shops and be a frequenter of restaurants/go to bars and interesting, social places within London). The other is the one where I'm rich. Basically all of the ability and net worth of what I've just said (call it 750k net worth), multiplied by 2.5x. I'd consider myself genuinely rich after 2 and a bit million. Impossible unless I start a business (or buy one, most likely), invest in property, become a high flying City boy or become a big director/CEO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, bur not you.
You are POOOOOOOOOORRRR!
POOOORPEEERRRR!
Still not as wealthy as about 15 people I know, if you wanna play some competition

Posted from TSR Mobile

You gotta remember though, this guy doesn't live anywhere near london, we're talking midlands area...
5 Mil in the Midlands is ****ing insane lol. A 60k salary here is unheard of pretty much.
Still not as wealthy as about 15 people I know, if you wanna play some competition :tongue: I guessed that (net worth at least 5mil). Of course he'd be well in excess of one meagre million. Once you have a million, it's so much easier to make it into more. Just... How do I get there. That's a ballers life, eh. Hell, I have 2 standards/expectations for myself. One is the middle-class aspiration (500-800k London property, which isn't much here, a 60-100k car, and just enough money to invest, go travel in the car/have holidays/eat good food/go to nice shops and be a frequenter of restaurants/go to bars and interesting, social places within London). The other is the one where I'm rich. Basically all of the ability and net worth of what I've just said (call it 750k net worth), multiplied by 2.5x. I'd consider myself genuinely rich after 2 and a bit million. Impossible unless I start a business (or buy one, most likely), invest in property, become a high flying City boy or become a big director/CEO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The easiest way to make that kind of money in london is probably investment banking, and thats ****ing hard as it is.
Even if you go to a Tier 1 banking uni, theres still a load of competition.
I want to do something to do with Business. If I was a Business Manager I would probably be getting somewhere along the lines of £33971 per year but as long as I am better off than I am at the moment I'm not really bothered how much I earn.
starting off 25k then in 3 years 30-32k moving to a band 6 of 38k as a superintendent by year 5 earning 47k and a consultant @ 85k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait, you say "that kind"... Do you mean the thing about making a couple of million/being what I define to be as the minimum of rich, or do you mean I've got to go into IB to meet even my 'middle-class aspirations' (which anyhow I already am, just at the very lower end; I'd like to just get to the upper end of the middle class/be what I said in the former section of those descriptions).

Posted from TSR Mobile

making a couple of million, but TBH, I can't think of how you can make over 100k a year <30 years old in any other sector... Maybe dentistry, if you're VERY good and lucky
Change the variables to £75k+ by 35. Then what? Finance? Management consulting? Actuary? Accounting?

I might go for actuary if I get into a top 10 uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

75k+ by 35? lol, TBH, thats pretty ****ty in London IMO.
You can earn that in any of those professions.
Original post by MrSupernova
Wildly unrealistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are firms that pay that, chambers that pay even more. For it to be wildly unrealistic it would presumably be a 1 in a million sort of shot, as it is you can go online and see that there are a fair number of US firms paying 40k to trainees and 90k plus to NQs, albeit only a handful pay 100k without bonus.
Reply 469
Original post by Quady
I'm 29 and work in the public sector.
Before I applied for my current jobs I emailed the two people I knew who could be interested and asked if they were going for it. There were more roles than them so I applied.
I'm on £49,400 with a payrise due in the next couple of months.
(no family connections at all)

Care to explain your post - I'm confused...

Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't know what you do in the public sector, but I'm going to stick my neck out and say that unless you are very lucky your job is probably a bit dull.

Do you genuinely look forward to going to work every day?
Original post by insomniacz
state expected career and salary please :biggrin:

Civil service, tax, transport or energy.

Realistically no reason to think I can't pass my mark of success (30k), 50k would be ideal.
Original post by Quady
I'm 29 and work in the public sector.
Before I applied for my current jobs I emailed the two people I knew who could be interested and asked if they were going for it. There were more roles than them so I applied.
I'm on £49,400 with a payrise due in the next couple of months.
(no family connections at all)

Care to explain your post - I'm confused...

Just curious, how did you pull this off? Thought things were quite rough in the public sector, haha. That's not bad at all. Congrats.

Also, there was a document online I think from ONS that has detail on income percentiles. Was genuinely shocked to learn that if you're on 42k+ I think it is then you're in the top 15th percentile or something.

Will link it later but if someone else could Google and post, I think it'd be highly relevant to this :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 472
Lol, in reality I keep my online presence extremely discreet/secretive, and clean. My Twitter account for example has no opinions, nothing stupid, no media, no swear words, no retorts. All that just to be more employable idegaf. I care that much. I'm going to delete my TSR account one day cos I've written far too much stupid crap on it already, and I have revealed a LOT about myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No opinions? Listen to yourself. You are willing to sell everything, your personality, body and soul for cash? Nobody ever says they wished they had earned more money, or kept their opinions to themselves on their death bed. (Unless perhaps they were being executed for heresy, the exception that proves the rule and all that)
Not much. Research sounds like a wonderful career, but I don't think I'll be paid a lot for it since I'm not intending to sell my soul to big oil :smile:

Original post by alevelzzz
75k+ by 35? lol, TBH, thats pretty ****ty in London IMO.
You can earn that in any of those professions.

75k is about twice the average salary in London so I don't it's that bad.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 474
ATM I'd be lucky to land a 10k job. After uni ill be aiming for about 29k minimum 25k. That's what I'll be initially hoping for but I'd have to settle for less short term if the economy is bad I suppose.
You're very bright. Much, much brighter than me. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck to you too. And I wouldn't judge the brightness of a random stranger over the internet purely on the basis of their grades, but thanks anyway :P
Reply 476
Original post by will2348
Just curious, how did you pull this off? Thought things were quite rough in the public sector, haha. That's not bad at all. Congrats.

Also, there was a document online I think from ONS that has detail on income percentiles. Was genuinely shocked to learn that if you're on 42k+ I think it is then you're in the top 15th percentile or something.

Will link it later but if someone else could Google and post, I think it'd be highly relevant to this :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://faststream.civilservice.gov.uk/

'Fast stream' is called 'fast' for a reason :smile:

Yes, although many of us have pointed that out before on here.
Reply 477
Well I AM that willing. You saying that actually put a smile to my face; it shows, for example, that I am indeed directing myself in the right direction, doing what actually does exclusively help me get to my monetary goals. My interests are all aligned to money. That's good. Thanks for that. I take that as a compliment in one way lol.

Money's fantastic up to a certain point.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well then good luck to you my friend :smile: What do you actually want this money for? In my experience rich people are not any happier, they are just miserable in a bigger house (which they are still usually convinced isn't quite big enough). They are usually eaten up with stress if they work a high flying job, or bored if they don't have to work, and are bitterly envious to others who they perceive as having more money than them. Most people on the planet live perfectly happy lives on a few thousand pounds a year, if that.
Reply 478
Btw, I also wanted to say that ~£50k at 30's great tbh. I wish. Nice, especially as you're in the public sector. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yet you think £75k at 35 is pretty poor in London :s-smilie:
Original post by Dekota-XS
Nursing, £67,000 per annum.

feck!! they get paid that much!:O

more than pharmacist..and 2 years shorter in course length..

I made the wrong career choice p

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending