Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi People,

I'm in a bit of an awkward situation here.

Back in 2009 i started a FD and left two weeks later, I knew it wasn't for me!

I then went onto get a full time job where I am now, my work has paid for me to complete a HNC, I have just completed my first year and due to start again in September.

I now know though that the current role I am in is not what I want to do (boring office job, seemingly no prospects), the last year as bored me to death and I am looking for a real change.

I am looking to go to Uni to do Building Surveying, from what I've researched and spoke to a university adviser, I will only be entitled to two years of funding, as the FD and first year of HNC will take away my two years.

So my questions is, is there anything else available? There's no way I can gather £9000 for the first year. When i spoke to the Uni student finance adviser she said I could lie about my HNC as SF were not involved and I have no formal qualification to prove I was there for the year, can SF find out about this 1 year funded by my employer?? I not the sort of person to lie at all, but I have been thinking about it if it's the only way I could get by.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Bump! Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Bump again

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannabeJudge)
    Bump again

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    You in the same situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomGuy123)
    So my questions is, is there anything else available?
    Sadly the answer is no, there is no other source of undergraduate student funding.

Whether you lie about your previous qualifications is down to your conscience and whether you're willing to risk SF finding out. If they do, you could have your funding withdrawn (which usually means having to leave your course) and face a demand for immediate repayment in full.

ReputationRep:
    I do have no previous HE qualifications though! That's what I'm finding so hard to understand.

I've read that if you leave a part time course before getting the qualification it will not be counted for when doing a full time HE course, really hope it's true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomGuy123)
    I do have no previous HE qualifications though! That's what I'm finding so hard to understand.

I've read that if you leave a part time course before getting the qualification it will not be counted for when doing a full time HE course, really hope it's true!
    The calculation in your situation, is probably based on the number of years you've spent in uni-level study. However, counting the fortnight of your FD is harsh (although strictly, partial years of study count as complete). An HNC is the equivalent of the first year of university but as it's part-time and not complete, I'm not sure why it's being taken into account.

The calculation is:
    Number of years in new degree course (minus) Number of years of previous uni-level study (plus) One year = Years of SF entitlement remaining

Alternatively, SF may have assumed that you'll complete your HNC. As you can't get SF for a qualification that's the same or lower than you already have (the ELQ rule) this would mean that your first year of an undergrad degree would automatically be unfunded apart from a Maintenance Loan.

It might be worth another call to SF as you can get different answers from different advisors. I think you need to better understand why you've lost your first year of funding.

But if the decision remains the same, there's no other source of undergrad student loans.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks for the info.
    I'll ring them tomorrow hope for the best!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.