Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate MPharm and I'm halfway through it. Carry on or change course? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I just finished my 2nd year of pharmacy. I do enjoy the actual course ( especially the science part of it), but I can't imagine myself working as a community/ clinical pharmacist. When I applied for university, I applied for biochemistry and only put one pharmacy choice as my parents persuaded me to. Needlessly to say, they managed to persuade me to accept it by saying that I can go into biochemistry after I finish pharmacy by doing masters or that I can even manage to find PhD project straight after MPharm. Working in academia and research is all I want to do and although I see some pharmacy graduates doing that in our department, I have the doubt that pharmacy students are not as prepared as say biochemistry or molecular biology students and therefore stand less chance.
    The bigger problem for me stems from pre-reg. During that year, I must work in a pharmacy. Currently I have a job in local pharmacy for a bit and I can't wait until it is done. I'm there only for another month, but I can't imagine spending an year in a pharmacy. It affects me personally, I am sad, disappointed, argue with family and friends. Last year I did lab work in the summer and it was very fulfilling, I was really happy. I'm doing more lab work this year, but it can't compensate for how depressed I feel because of the pharmacy job. I feel like crying when I think that this is primarily the career I'm studying for. I'm seriously thinking to change course but that will upset my family a lot.
    What should I do? Grit my teeth and go through the next 2 yrs and pre reg and look for masters/projects as I do that ( pass through some real **** until I find something better) or start biochemistry course despite what my family thinks?

ReputationRep:
    You can be a hospital pharmacist instead, but you actually get paid more for working in the likes of Boots.
    Lab work isn't very well paid and it's usually difficult to find, whereas with Pharmacy at least you can be sure to find a job and with decent pay.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could try getting more researchy sort of experience somewhere such as gsk. I think they still have summer placements available for this year for pharmacy students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anjola)
    Hi everyone,
    I just finished my 2nd year of pharmacy. I do enjoy the actual course ( especially the science part of it), but I can't imagine myself working as a community/ clinical pharmacist. When I applied for university, I applied for biochemistry and only put one pharmacy choice as my parents persuaded me to. Needlessly to say, they managed to persuade me to accept it by saying that I can go into biochemistry after I finish pharmacy by doing masters or that I can even manage to find PhD project straight after MPharm. Working in academia and research is all I want to do and although I see some pharmacy graduates doing that in our department, I have the doubt that pharmacy students are not as prepared as say biochemistry or molecular biology students and therefore stand less chance.
    The bigger problem for me stems from pre-reg. During that year, I must work in a pharmacy. Currently I have a job in local pharmacy for a bit and I can't wait until it is done. I'm there only for another month, but I can't imagine spending an year in a pharmacy. It affects me personally, I am sad, disappointed, argue with family and friends. Last year I did lab work in the summer and it was very fulfilling, I was really happy. I'm doing more lab work this year, but it can't compensate for how depressed I feel because of the pharmacy job. I feel like crying when I think that this is primarily the career I'm studying for. I'm seriously thinking to change course but that will upset my family a lot.
    What should I do? Grit my teeth and go through the next 2 yrs and pre reg and look for masters/projects as I do that ( pass through some real **** until I find something better) or start biochemistry course despite what my family thinks?
    Im assuming you're asian? Not a clue why your parents force you into pharmacy.
    What is so bad about the job? What do you do on the day to day?
    Is there anyway for you to transfer rather than have to start from year one again in bio chemistry? If you want to go into academia then biochemistry is of course going to be a lot more broad although I would think there are plenty of opportunities in pharmacy with a PHD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    Im assuming you're asian? Not a clue why your parents force you into pharmacy.
    What is so bad about the job? What do you do on the day to day?
    Is there anyway for you to transfer rather than have to start from year one again in bio chemistry? If you want to go into academia then biochemistry is of course going to be a lot more broad although I would think there are plenty of opportunities in pharmacy with a PHD.
    You can say I'm Asian by soul, European by nature :P
    One of my parents is a doctor, the other is pharmacist. From their point of view they wanted me to do a course with more secured job at the end.
    Why don't I like the job? It is boring, repetitive, seems like a waste of the 5 yrs degree. If I'm going to work in a shop which sells medicines (aka pharmacy) does it matter if I graduate with a 1st or a 3rd at all? Why put all the effort in? In addition, I don't work well with the public. I hide it very well ( my colleagues were honestly surprised when I told them ), but I don't like dealing with the public. Interestingly enough, I did work as teaching assistant and I didn't mind dealing with kids in school. I guess a job with customers just isn't for me.

ReputationRep:
    I would say stick to it. Get a 2:1 or a 1st. Apply for medicine.

If not Pharmacy, then what career would you see yourself in?

ReputationRep:
    You can say I'm Asian by soul, European by nature :P
    One of my parents is a doctor, the other is pharmacist. From their point of view they wanted me to do a course with more secured job at the end.
    Why don't I like the job? It is boring, repetitive, seems like a waste of the 5 yrs degree. If I'm going to work in a shop which sells medicines (aka pharmacy) does it matter if I graduate with a 1st or a 3rd at all? Why put all the effort in? In addition, I don't work well with the public. I hide it very well ( my colleagues were honestly surprised when I told them ), but I don't like dealing with the public. Interestingly enough, I did work as teaching assistant and I didn't mind dealing with kids in school. I guess a job with customers just isn't for me.
    A number of pharmacists ive spoken too feel the same way, they say the pay isn't as much as before to make it bearable either. If i didnt get into dentistry I would have completely moved away from healthcare/bio sciences - I dont think the rest are stable anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icy Flame)
    I would say stick to it. Get a 2:1 or a 1st. Apply for medicine.

If not Pharmacy, then what career would you see yourself in?
    The career I wanted was as a researcher in biochemistry, hence why I applied for biochemistry. My parents begged me to put one pharmacy course on my application and here I am. I could do a top up after pharmacy, but first I have to go through so much miserable time of doing placements/ subjects I don't like.
    Medicine will be even worse for me. I don't want a job that deals with the public and I know that medical doctors do a lot! I'm the worst person for healthcare profession - I am somehow socially regarded and in addition I don't show sympathy very well. I prefer to express myself in writing and I like to re-think/matter my sentences - something you can't do in a conversation. If there is a patient complaining of their ailments, I don't know what to say and do. I could recommend a treatment, but I can't show sympathy like other people in the pharmacy do. I just stand there appearing cold hearted.

ReputationRep:
    The career I wanted was as a researcher in biochemistry, hence why I applied for biochemistry. My parents begged me to put one pharmacy course on my application and here I am. I could do a top up after pharmacy, but first I have to go through so much miserable time of doing placements/ subjects I don't like.
    Medicine will be even worse for me. I don't want a job that deals with the public and I know that medical doctors do a lot! I'm the worst person for healthcare profession - I am somehow socially regarded and in addition I don't show sympathy very well. I prefer to express myself in writing and I like to re-think/matter my sentences - something you can't do in a conversation. If there is a patient complaining of their ailments, I don't know what to say and do. I could recommend a treatment, but I can't show sympathy like other people in the pharmacy do. I just stand there appearing cold hearted.
    Bit of a pickle then, dentistry wouldn't be much better in dealing with the public haha. Stick out with the course, try get a first and see what doors open for you. Dropping out would be a waste of the time you've spent

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.