ReputationRep:
    I am doing the IB and I want to study law at Cambridge. My courses are

English A HL (language and literature)
    History HL
    Biology HL
    French SL (self taught)
    Art SL
    Math SL

I'm considering dropping to Math Studies but I'm scared my courses won't look challenging enough -- Is it safe to make the move?

I'm also applying to LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lavo101)
    I am doing the IB and I want to study law at Cambridge. My courses are

English A HL (language and literature)
    History HL
    Biology HL
    French SL (self taught)
    Art SL
    Math SL

I'm considering dropping to Math Studies but I'm scared my courses won't look challenging enough -- Is it safe to make the move?

I'm also applying to LSE.
    British universities only really care about your higher level subjects. Since you've taken English/history (which are preferred) along with biology (a respected subject)- You'll be absolutely fine!

Since law doesn't require any maths you won't be penalized for taking maths studies. However, with both art and maths studies your combination is on the softer side not that art isn't challenging (it definitely is!). So you might want to consider taking a more respectable subject. I recommend you pick another group 3 subjects so that you can further demonstrate your essay writing/analysis skills. However, if you feel like you'll maximise your overall score by taking art then by all means take it. Remember that you need a minimum of 38 points for the universities you are considering so you've also got to take into consideration the courses that will potentially be easier for you to score higher in.

Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbunny)
    British universities only really care about your higher level subjects. Since you've taken English/history (which are preferred) along with biology (a respected subject)- You'll be absolutely fine!

Since law doesn't require any maths you won't be penalized for taking maths studies. However, with both art and maths studies your combination is on the softer side not that art isn't challenging (it definitely is!). So you might want to consider taking a more respectable subject. I recommend you pick another group 3 subjects so that you can further demonstrate your essay writing/analysis skills. However, if you feel like you'll maximise your overall score by taking art then by all means take it. Remember that you need a minimum of 38 points for the universities you are considering so you've also got to take into consideration the courses that will potentially be easier for you to score higher in.

Hope I helped!

Yes! A lot thanks! But I can't switch from art, I'm in grade 11 (year 12). The only change I can really make at this point is drop to math studies. Should I do it?( keeping in mind that I can't change art) or will my courses look too easy?

ReputationRep:
    Yes! A lot thanks! But I can't switch from art, I'm in grade 11 (year 12). The only change I can really make at this point is drop to math studies. Should I do it?( keeping in mind that I can't change art) or will my courses look too easy?
    How are you doing in maths right now? If you think maths will ultimately pull down your overall score then I'd drop down to maths studies as your standard level subjects should boost your overall score and not bring it down.

ReputationRep:

It will absolutely not affect your chances of Oxbridge with SL art and maths studies

ReputationRep:
    Art and math studies will make your application look a little on the softer side, but as they are both SLs and not really related to Law, it shouldn't matter much. That being said, LSE can be quite tough about which subjects they deem to be hard/worthwhile (at least, they were with applicants from my school) so it's possible you might be at a disadvantage to someone who takes 'harder' SL subjects.

If you're doing well in Math SL I wouldn't really drop, but if you find it's really difficult and time-consuming and may pull your overall score down, then dropping to Studies shouldn't significantly hinder you when it comes to Law. I got into Oxford for Law and I do Studies, but my other SLs were French and Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeybadgerkid)
    Art and math studies will make your application look a little on the softer side, but as they are both SLs and not really related to Law, it shouldn't matter much. That being said, LSE can be quite tough about which subjects they deem to be hard/worthwhile (at least, they were with applicants from my school) so it's possible you might be at a disadvantage to someone who takes 'harder' SL subjects.

If you're doing well in Math SL I wouldn't really drop, but if you find it's really difficult and time-consuming and may pull your overall score down, then dropping to Studies shouldn't significantly hinder you when it comes to Law. I got into Oxford for Law and I do Studies, but my other SLs were French and Biology.
    What were your HL's? Because, I had to do an art, and self taught French is pretty hard... I probably won't apply to LSE then...

ReputationRep:
    What were your HL's? Because, I had to do an art, and self taught French is pretty hard... I probably won't apply to LSE then...
    I took English Lit, History, and Economics at HL. Ultimately if your HLs are suitable and your prediction is high enough, it's always worth a shot to apply to the universities that appeal to you and that you are within your range

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.