Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how to get a decent spot at the gym? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I need a spotter for when I bench in the gym. Problem is I work out alone, and most people in the gym are retards who can't even do something as simple as spotting correctly, eg. needlessly touching the bar when you're bringing the weight up, or keeping their hands under the bar, in front of your face, for the entire set. I've tried going w/o a spotter, and I just end up bruising the **** out of my hips when I roll the bar down. I want to tell them not to touch the bar unless I tell them to before I start the set, but then I feel like I'm pre-emptively telling them off, lol. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't tell someone what you want then you can't complain when you don't get what you want,

My standard speech is firstly to say I'm pedantic so to put the blame on me then explain to help lift off on my count, then hands off then really let me struggle. I say if you think I'm failing then count to 3 first unless the bar goes back down. They never really do count to three but it keeps them more reasonable.

It's still partly lucky though, some folks don't listen.

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain. I generally tell someone don't touch the bar unless it's going backwards. Even then some people jump in at the first sign of struggling. Also say something along the lines of for my progress it doesn't count if you touch the bar so please don't do it unless I ask you to.

Got a few people who know how I like to be spotted now though and I try and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    Try DB press, its better when it comes to building mass anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You need to explain exactly what you want, be clear and polite. Not everyone knows how to spot well.

If they still don't do it then don't ask them again. Don't be rude about it though- at the end of the day they're taking time out of their session to help you.

ReputationRep:
    I've found it pretty straightforward, just don't tell them all at once.

"Can I get a spot please mate?"
    They oblige and get behind the bench.
    "Just a lift/hand-off for a set of five."
    They grab the bar.
    "On my count. Three, two, one."
    I take a deep breath, they unrack.
    "And hands away, mate."
    They move their hands.
    "Perfect."

Very rarely they get twitchy, I just pause at the top and remind them not to touch the bar. Can't remember the last time someone ruined a set.

ReputationRep:
    If you have the right arm length, you can bench in a power rack without a spotter safetly with the safety pins set at a height that will catch the bar if you fail.

ReputationRep:
    I bench in a rack most of the time though having the safties not to high or low is against the odds if the height settings aren't close together. Can be a pain for lift off too if the settings aren't close together. The safeties are right for me but the hooks are just too high so the lower setting results in a rather large lift off distance so I can't lift more than 85kg out of the rack on my own and it takes a fair bit out of me close to 85. However, if your gym is busy then benching in the rack when there are other options is being a pain in the arse IMO.

Roll of shame isn't too bad, I've done it with around 80kg though I don't think much more would be pleasant. But spotter is better.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    I bench in a rack most of the time though having the safties not to high or low is against the odds if the height settings aren't close together. Can be a pain for lift off too if the settings aren't close together. The safeties are right for me but the hooks are just too high so the lower setting results in a rather large lift off distance so I can't lift more than 85kg out of the rack on my own and it takes a fair bit out of me close to 85. However, if your gym is busy then benching in the rack when there are other options is being a pain in the arse IMO.

Roll of shame isn't too bad, I've done it with around 80kg though I don't think much more would be pleasant. But spotter is better.
    Yeah, I tried using the rack, when I set the safety bars, they're either too low so as not to make a difference, or too high so that I can't bring the bar down to my chest

ReputationRep:
    I do sets of 3-5 and have no issues without a spotter. I call one for max attempts, but those are so rare. Occasionally I work in with people and just tell them to pass the bar but don't spot unless I call them.

I used to think you needed a spotter to bench but it's not essential

ReputationRep:
    Pisses me off too, I always tell people – slowly and carefully – not to touch the bar unless it starts moving downwards when it's not supposed to, but half the people seem physically incapable of adhering to that fairly basic instruction. Most of the time I think you don't need to go quite to failure anyway, so I stop when I think I'm unlikely to make the next rep. If I do fail I've become quite adept at the old roll down the thighs thingy, which is only a bit painful. The only times I really need a spotter is if I'm going for a full out max.

On the converse, I've spotted people who have failed badly on say the 2nd or 3rd rep of a set. I then pull the bar up expecting them to rack it, but they insist they have a few more reps in them. I'm then stuck there doing a set of barbell rows with a weight these people are deluding themselves that they can lift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattyR2895)
    I need a spotter for when I bench in the gym. Problem is I work out alone, and most people in the gym are retards who can't even do something as simple as spotting correctly, eg. needlessly touching the bar when you're bringing the weight up, or keeping their hands under the bar, in front of your face, for the entire set. I've tried going w/o a spotter, and I just end up bruising the **** out of my hips when I roll the bar down. I want to tell them not to touch the bar unless I tell them to before I start the set, but then I feel like I'm pre-emptively telling them off, lol. Any advice?
    Just tell them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    On the converse, I've spotted people who have failed badly on say the 2nd or 3rd rep of a set. I then pull the bar up expecting them to rack it, but they insist they have a few more reps in them. I'm then stuck there doing a set of barbell rows with a weight these people are deluding themselves that they can lift.
    know that feel. There's a guy in my gym who racked up 90kg total then asked me to spot. He was mortified when I didn't give him any assistance on the way up on his first rep and he failed as a result.
    He then went for 5 assisted reps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    know that feel. There's a guy in my gym who racked up 90kg total then asked me to spot. He was mortified when I didn't give him any assistance on the way up on his first rep and he failed as a result.
    He then went for 5 assisted reps.
    Spotted a guy doing 110kg - heavily spotted. Imagine my surprise next set he wants me to spot him on 130kg...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Spotted a guy doing 110kg - heavily spotted. Imagine my surprise next set he wants me to spot him on 130kg...
    lol. You should have just let him rest it on his chest for a bit until he realises how retarded an idea that is...

Did you go ahead with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    lol. You should have just let him rest it on his chest for a bit until he realises how retarded an idea that is...

Did you go ahead with it?
    I rowed 130 for 2 bro. I'm too nice to say no lol

ReputationRep:
    I rowed 130 for 2 bro. I'm too nice to say no lol
    Realistically I'd have done the same. Unless I knew the guy I wouldn't want to tell him his training program is flat out retarded. Especially as he'd probably be bigger than me

ReputationRep:
    You just stole all his gains.

ReputationRep:
    A guy at my old gym always wanted a spot for weights he can't lift (not even just on bench, he does it on everything). I was always terribly busy when he asked for a spot cause I feel too rude saying he's an idiot to his face but no way am I going to superset my benching with rowing his.

Another guy did the 'just help a little if I need it' then did a very, very slow rep with me helping a little. I pulled it back into the rack after the rep without thinking since obviously no way he could do a second without a lot more than a little help and he got annoyed because he was going for 5. But he never asks me for a spot any more so just stopping their set might be my plan in future.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.