Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am starting the MPhys (Master of Physics) course this year. I was wondering what the best books would be to get for the first year of the course?

ReputationRep:
    The standard physics book for first year physicists is "Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca". However, I would not recommend buying this book as it is not that useful in later years. I personally think that the most comprehensive set of books for an undergraduate course in physics is the Feynman lectures. They are a little advanced for a first read of the material, but they are written very well and are a valuable set of books for any physicist to own. Finally, another series of books I used in my undergraduate is by Landau and Lif****z. These are very advanced and are intended more for a course on Theoretical Physics. I have some good math recommendations as well if you wish, otherwise good luck with your degree.

(Original post by KieranM10)
    I am starting the MPhys (Master of Physics) course this year. I was wondering what the best books would be to get for the first year of the course?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for the info, I will take this on board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WishingChaff)
    I have some good math recommendations as well if you wish...
    I wish

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.