Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    If they were coming at you really hard.

<immature, Office hilarity>
    lol

But do you imagine doing it face-to-face with a man or from behind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    lol

But do you imagine doing it face-to-face with a man or from behind?
    ^or could you take a man from behind.

ReputationRep:
    I think that even premeditated murder can sometimes be justified. Take a case like this. A women is beaten by her husband 3-4 times a week every week for her 9 year marrage and then one day she finds out that he has started to abuse her younge daughter.She has no where to go and doesn't know what she can do. So she goes out and buys some sort of poison and feeds it too him and he dies. In my view this is premeditated but I wouldn't call it murder and I don't even know if she should go to prison what do people think?

ReputationRep:
    ^or could you take a man from behind.
    I stand corrected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think that even premeditated murder can sometimes be justified. Take a case like this. A women is beaten by her husband 3-4 times a week every week for her 9 year marrage and then one day she finds out that he has started to abuse her younge daughter.She has no where to go and doesn't know what she can do. So she goes out and buys some sort of poison and feeds it too him and he dies. In my view this is premeditated but I wouldn't call it murder and I don't even know if she should go to prison what do people think?
    She made a very unwise decision (should have gone to the WI before she even had a child with him) but this is why people are judged by their peers - so that all cases are treated differently and on their own merits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivideByZero)
    Equally no (if we are talking about absolute truth here).
    So if you had been on the Spanish train that blew up and you had the opportunity to kill the terrorist and so stprevent the explosion, you would not have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Execution of a serial killer/genocidal maniac [read: saddam] could be justified by some. But others will say it isn't.
    But that's not murder. Murder is unlawful. Execution is lawful.

ReputationRep:
    The law say's it's murder. So it is.

ReputationRep:
    So if you had been on the Spanish train that blew up and you had the opportunity to kill the terrorist and so stprevent the explosion, you would not have?
    Self defence is different.

ReputationRep:
    Self defence is different.
    DivideByZero was talking not only about murder but also killing, so this does fit.

ReputationRep:
    That wasn't my point. I did say that I do not believe that it is ever wrong to murder, nor that I believe that it is ever right to murder. I do not believe in right and wrong at all.

ReputationRep:
    DivideByZero was talking not only about murder but also killing, so this does fit.
    I didn't say it didn't fit. I said that self defence was different. It is treated different from murder by the law, which was what I perhaps SHOULD have typed.

<rolls eyes VIGOROUSLY> :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivideByZero)
    That wasn't my point. I did say that I do not believe that it is ever wrong to murder, nor that I believe that it is ever right to murder. I do not believe in right and wrong at all.
    Right, sorry bout that

And Blissy, it doesn't really matter anyway

ReputationRep:
    Killing inwar or in self defence is not murder. Other than that, all murder is wrong. As for the woman who kills her hubby however, the law may be lenient and reduce her conviction to manslaughter. They are now stating to consider this idea about women who bottle all this abuse up until they snap. But they don'tsnap likemen apparently, because they are smaller and weaker (don't tell me i'm sexist cause it's a fact) they tend to use weapons and pre-meditate a murder. So it looks like cold blooded murder but it's considered to be not so. I personally think there is some merit to this approach but it's very dodgey ground and we must be very careful in letting women who kill their husbands in their sleep off a murder charge.

ReputationRep:
    How about self-defence?

If they were coming at you really hard.

<immature, Office hilarity>
    Can be hard to get away with sometimes, becuase you have to proove that you used equal and un-excessive force upon the deceased.

Which is often what prosecutes women who shoot their drunken husbands who were coming at them with knives. Sad but true.

If someone has a reason, like in those family honour movies (you know the mob, boy;s father is killed by Uncle Vito, boy grows up and kills Uncle Vito) are OK by me...

Like in Kill Bill, Uma says to the little girl, "When your older and you still feel raw about it, ill be waiting." thats fine by me. Revenge killings are fine.

But when some psycho takes out a knife and slits some random guy's throat, thats not f*cking cool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Is it ever right to murder someone? Could there be a situation where someone kills a person but you would be able to justify their actions completely?
    Apparently there are only 3 reasons for murder: Money, Power/Control and Love. Murder may be justified i.e a woman murders her husband who has abused her for years but it is still wrong. Most murders are carried out in the "heat of the moment" and therefore have more of a case for being justified, than say someone like Ian Brady or Myra Hindley or Harold Shipman who pre-meditated the murders they committed.

ReputationRep:
    unlawful killing with malice aforethought of a person born alive under the Queen's Peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Britain)
    Apparently there are only 3 reasons for murder: Money, Power/Control and Love. Murder may be justified i.e a woman murders her husband who has abused her for years but it is still wrong. Most murders are carried out in the "heat of the moment" and therefore have more of a case for being justified, than say someone like Ian Brady or Myra Hindley or Harold Shipman who pre-meditated the murders they committed.
    What about revenge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    What about revenge?
    Yep, you could argue that and there may be more reasons but it could come into the power and control "theme", just as jealousy would come under "love". I have just finished reading a book about The Real Cracker, that was on Channel 4 a couple of years ago. The criminal profilers reckon that the 3 main reasons are the ones above and can twist but they usually come back to the same reasons (unless they have a personality disorder).

ReputationRep:
    That's manslaughter. Battered Women's Syndrome is enough to consitute a successful defence under s2 or s3 where applicable of the Homicide Act 1957.

Am looking through the archives overnight

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.