Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to deal with the thought of my sister being "sexually active" Watch

Anon as she goes on here please.

Okay, this is going to sound really strange but I need to know how people can help me get over these thoughts, or at least be able to move on. My sister is 20 and she has gotten her first boyfriend, she is really innocent so I never really thought of her doing sexual stuff... Or well, I didn't even think she knew about half of it because she is totally naive and innocent about that kind of thing!
    Well the other day I overheard her talking on the phone with her friend about all the stuff she did with her boyfriend, which included some pretty sexual stuff. She knows I know, and kind of shrugged it off but I don't know, I feel sick thinking about it? I don't know if it's because she is my little sister, and it's like her innocence is being taken away? It's just really weird...it's more annoying I can't shake it off since she is 20, so perfectly capable of making these decisions herself.

Sorry if this sounds weird, I just need to know how to really shake off these thoughts, it's really getting my down and I feel like I can't look at her the same way! Even though that's stupid.

ReputationRep:
    That's kind of an unhealthy way to think about your sister in my opinion :\

My attitude to my little brother (16) is don't get anyone pregnant, and if you have great sex good on you! It would be exactly the same if he was a girl!

ReputationRep:
    Dude you just don't think about it , lock these thoughts in the deepest abyss of your mind .
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Get over it

ReputationRep:
    Why are you even thinking of your sister and sex in one thought?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    fap to it
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Okay, this is going to sound really strange but I need to know how people can help me get over these thoughts, or at least be able to move on. My sister is 20 and she has gotten her first boyfriend, she is really innocent so I never really thought of her doing sexual stuff... Or well, I didn't even think she knew about half of it because she is totally naive and innocent about that kind of thing!
    Well the other day I overheard her talking on the phone with her friend about all the stuff she did with her boyfriend, which included some pretty sexual stuff. She knows I know, and kind of shrugged it off but I don't know, I feel sick thinking about it? I don't know if it's because she is my little sister, and it's like her innocence is being taken away? It's just really weird...it's more annoying I can't shake it off since she is 20, so perfectly capable of making these decisions herself.

Sorry if this sounds weird, I just need to know how to really shake off these thoughts, it's really getting my down and I feel like I can't look at her the same way! Even though that's stupid.
    It doesn't sound weird. Here is my advice, you just have to accept it. Accept that realistically one day she will become a mum and to do that she will have to be sexually active. I understand how you feel and you must feel so awkward and uncomfortable but maybe if you talk to her and give her advice you will feel better about it. Regardless, she will do these things, she's 20, so if you want to help her try, and overtime you will accept it.

ReputationRep:
    I sort of know what you mean. I have a friend 3 years younger than me and as children we would play together a lot. I moved away when I was 12 and we lost contact. She's on my facebook now and she's 18. In my eyes, when I added her, she was still the 9 year old. Now she drinks and swears sometimes, and she has a boyfriend. It really bothered me because I still saw her as the little girl, she can't have a boyfriend! I had already lost my virginity by her age, and to think that she may have done the same is completely weird! I just tried not to think about it and thought about how happy I was for her to be enjoying her life and she's turned out really well as a person. Suppose you should focus on other things instead, OP. She is just another young woman, afterall.

ReputationRep:
    How long were you listening?! I agree with the poster who said "get over it". People have sex. Your mum and dad had sex. At least twice.

And PS: you presume she has never had sex before. Doesn't mean that it's true. Try not to think about that.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what Freud would say about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Am I the only one that wants to hear what things she was saying on the phone to her friend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sliceofcake)
    I sort of know what you mean. I have a friend 3 years younger than me and as children we would play together a lot. I moved away when I was 12 and we lost contact. She's on my facebook now and she's 18. In my eyes, when I added her, she was still the 9 year old. Now she drinks and swears sometimes, and she has a boyfriend. It really bothered me because I still saw her as the little girl, she can't have a boyfriend! I had already lost my virginity by her age, and to think that she may have done the same is completely weird! I just tried not to think about it and thought about how happy I was for her to be enjoying her life and she's turned out really well as a person. Suppose you should focus on other things instead, OP. She is just another young woman, afterall.

This is more weird than the OP.

Get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    Its her business and none of yours, get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother Teresa)
    This is more weird than the OP.

Get a grip.
    Okay. I didn't really ask for your opinion about it, and also, I don't care anymore as implied by my post. I've gotten the grip you suggested. Hope you feel better now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother Teresa)
    I wonder what Freud would say about this.
    Probably not very much, OP's unlikely to jealous of his sister's boyfriend.

Obviously there's a protective instinct brothers feel for their sisters, in that regard it's not unusual.

ReputationRep:
    The same way you delt with the fact that your parents had to have had sex to have you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomov)
    fap to it
    weawwwwww, lmao you jelly OP. #FWP

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know what I could say constructively, because the way I deal with my siblings is by not thinking about it. Don't get hung up on it? Particularly as she's an adult now...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same here, except it's my brother who's the person in question. It feels really weird and uncomfortable knowing what's going on, it makes me feel sick, especially considering the woman's situation and circumstances. So much cringe. Definitely can't look at him the same way. I knew something was going on for a long time, but recently I confirmed it...eeww. I wish I never found out and remained in blissful ignorance, that would have been much better. Honestly, why do people do stuff like this and allow their siblings to find out about it? At least try to hide it so no one finds out.

ReputationRep:
    You can't be mean to your sister, but you can "deal with" the bf

(Original post by tomov)
    fap to it
    Not funny

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.