Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have signed a contract with another 2 people to rent a house together. We have signed it on the 20th of february. The term starts on the 8th of July (which is in a week) and i have not picked up the keys or moved in yet. I am trying to get out of this contract but the landlord says that i can't do that unless i find a replacement. Also under the terms and conditions of the contract it says ''After the first three months of the Term, if the tenant can find a suitable alternative tenant, and provided this alternative tenant is acceptable to both the Landlord and any other tenants on the tenancy, the Tenant may give notice to end the tenancy on a date at least one month from the date that such approval is given by the Landlord''. Would that mean that I can cancel the contract since the Term has not started yet? or would I have to wait for the Term to begin, and then wait 3 months and only then i would be allowed to find a replacement? thank you for your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m2045572)
    I have signed a contract with another 2 people to rent a house together. We have signed it on the 20th of february. The term starts on the 8th of July (which is in a week) and i have not picked up the keys or moved in yet. I am trying to get out of this contract but the landlord says that i can't do that unless i find a replacement. Also under the terms and conditions of the contract it says ''After the first three months of the Term, if the tenant can find a suitable alternative tenant, and provided this alternative tenant is acceptable to both the Landlord and any other tenants on the tenancy, the Tenant may give notice to end the tenancy on a date at least one month from the date that such approval is given by the Landlord''. Would that mean that I can cancel the contract since the Term has not started yet? or would I have to wait for the Term to begin, and then wait 3 months and only then i would be allowed to find a replacement? thank you for your time
    Don't take my word for it as I'm not into Law or anything, but this is what it sounds like to me:

You have to wait three months once that terms starts before you can find a replacement. So three months from the 8th July is the 8th October, so after the 8th you can find a replacement.

But, you still need approval from your Landlord. If your Landlord said fine you can go on the 10th October, you would be allowed to show your landlord and room-mates your replacement on the 10th September or earlier as you have to give the landlord at least a months notice.

Once again I repeat do not take my word for it as this is simply just my interpretation of what the contract states. If I was you I'd contact the Landlord directly and pose any questions to him.

ReputationRep:
    the landlord told me that i could get out of the contract even tomorrow if i manage to find a replacement. That's why it didn't make sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jrichardson96)
    Don't take my word for it as I'm not into Law or anything, but this is what it sounds like to me:

You have to wait three months once that terms starts before you can find a replacement. So three months from the 8th July is the 8th October, so after the 8th you can find a replacement.

But, you still need approval from your Landlord. If your Landlord said fine you can go on the 10th October, you would be allowed to show your landlord and room-mates your replacement on the 10th September or earlier as you have to give the landlord at least a months notice.

Once again I repeat do not take my word for it as this is simply just my interpretation of what the contract states. If I was you I'd contact the Landlord directly and pose any questions to him.
    the landlord told me that i could get out of the contract even tomorrow if i manage to find a replacement. That's why it didn't make sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd just take his word for it in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    The contract will be a stock contract that covers all his bases and risks. If he wants to waive a specific part, he is free to. If you still feel uncomfortable that the contract may take precedence over his word legally, get his agreement that you can find a replacement now in writing.

In fact I'd definitely recommends that anyway, you don't want to find a replacement and a new house only for him to claim he never said it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You signed the contract - you have to pay unless you can find a replacement. The landlord will not mind as long as the references check out.

Try spare room.co.uk for a replacement

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.