Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have signed a contract with another 2 people to rent a house together. We have signed it on the 20th of february. The term starts on the 8th of July (which is in a week) and i have not picked up the keys or moved in yet. I am trying to get out of this contract but the landlord says that i can't do that unless i find a replacement. Also under the terms and conditions of the contract it says ''After the first three months of the Term, if the tenant can find a suitable alternative tenant, and provided this alternative tenant is acceptable to both the Landlord and any other tenants on the tenancy, the Tenant may give notice to end the tenancy on a date at least one month from the date that such approval is given by the Landlord''. Would that mean that I can cancel the contract since the Term has not started yet? or would I have to wait for the Term to begin, and then wait 3 months and only then i would be allowed to find a replacement? thank you for your time

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that you will be able to get out of the contract now. Your best bet is to try and find a replacement after the three months have passed but you could start looking now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzannataylor)
    I don't think that you will be able to get out of the contract now. Your best bet is to try and find a replacement after the three months have passed but you could start looking now.
    But i haven't even picked up the keys yet or anything. And the term does not start for another week. And what would be a point in the deposit then? cos i did tell them that they can keep it. I probably ask too many questions, but just in case you know the answers haha. And the landlord has also said that i could get out of the contract even tomorrow if i find a replacement. That's what got me a bit confused. Oh and the main question. What's the worst thing that can happen to me if i just don't get in touch with them. I mean, i won't pick up the keys, but i won't pay anything either. Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m2045572)
    But i haven't even picked up the keys yet or anything. And the term does not start for another week. And what would be a point in the deposit then? cos i did tell them that they can keep it. I probably ask too many questions, but just in case you know the answers haha. And the landlord has also said that i could get out of the contract even tomorrow if i find a replacement. That's what got me a bit confused. Oh and the main question. What's the worst thing that can happen to me if i just don't get in touch with them. I mean, i won't pick up the keys, but i won't pay anything either. Thanks for your help
    If the landlord says you can change whenever you find someone else, then I'd go by that and start looking now. You can't just not go and pick up the keys and not pay. You've signed a legally binding contract which you're going to have to stick to unless you end it in a way that is allowed by the contract and the landlord and/or estate agent. It's a bit more complicated than just not showing up I'm afraid!
    I assume they have your bank details, and even if they don't you'd be putting the others in a very difficult position. It would probably also affect your chances of being able to rent in the future.

ReputationRep:
    If the landlord says you can change whenever you find someone else, then I'd go by that and start looking now. You can't just not go and pick up the keys and not pay. You've signed a legally binding contract which you're going to have to stick to unless you end it in a way that is allowed by the contract and the landlord and/or estate agent. It's a bit more complicated than just not showing up I'm afraid!
    I assume they have your bank details, and even if they don't you'd be putting the others in a very difficult position. It would probably also affect your chances of being able to rent in the future.
    The thing is, i'm moving back to Russia in a month time, and dropping out from university. I am trying to find someone else, but it's been unsuccessful so far. They don't have my bank details though. I was just more worried about, if i don't pay that contract, could that result in me going to the prison? i know it sounds silly, but checking, just in case haha

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, i'm moving back to Russia in a month time, and dropping out from university. I am trying to find someone else, but it's been unsuccessful so far. They don't have my bank details though. I was just more worried about, if i don't pay that contract, could that result in me going to the prison? i know it sounds silly, but checking, just in case haha
    They could certainly take you to court.
    How is the rent sorted then? Do they have the details of another of your flatmates?
    Really you need to sort it out properly instead of just leaving the situation.

ReputationRep:
    They could certainly take you to court.
    How is the rent sorted then? Do they have the details of another of your flatmates?
    Really you need to sort it out properly instead of just leaving the situation.
    They would never come to Russia after me, and even if they would i would tell them where to go, and they won't be able to do a single thing to me there. But yeah, the only reason i'm actually trying to get this sorted properly, is because there are another 2 people on the contract, and they might have to pay my part (which i really wouldn't want to happen). So i will be keep trying to find a replacement or cancel the contract in a different way before i move back

ReputationRep:
    They would never come to Russia after me, and even if they would i would tell them where to go, and they won't be able to do a single thing to me there. But yeah, the only reason i'm actually trying to get this sorted properly, is because there are another 2 people on the contract, and they might have to pay my part (which i really wouldn't want to happen). So i will be keep trying to find a replacement or cancel the contract in a different way before i move back
    Yes, I imagine the other two probably would have to pay your part. It's extremely irresponsible and immature to not deal with the situation properly.

ReputationRep:
    I see where you're coming from, but there was a similar situation last year, when one of our housemates was not paying her rent (it was a joint contract), anyway that girl was asked to leave the house, but we did not pay anything for her. It's the same company. They do not take payment through bank though, we have to get the cash out and pay them in cash.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I imagine the other two probably would have to pay your part. It's extremely irresponsible and immature to not deal with the situation properly.
    I see where you're coming from, but there was a similar situation last year, when one of our housemates was not paying her rent (it was a joint contract), anyway that girl was asked to leave the house, but we did not pay anything for her. It's the same company. They do not take payment through bank though, we have to get the cash out and pay them in cash.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.