Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Before I get burned for this little pity party, I just want to say that I am genuinely curious as to what you all think and really do need advice.

I am from a (below) working class family, my dad was in prison and my mum never pushed education at all. I am intelligent but not exceptional by any means academically.
    At GCSE I got 10 A*-C grades. I went through a lot of personal stuff during my A-Levels and I only got ABCD (I know I regret it every day).
    After college I got an apprenticeship in Business and Admin. I worked in that role for a year, and then I got a job as a PA to the Managing Director of an exec recruitment company.
    Here is where I gained my passion and interest for Management Consulting. I had never heard of management consulting before, let alone considered a career in it.
    As time passed in my PA role I was promoted to head hunter, recruiting management consultants (partners etc) for the big 4. I loved getting an insight into their working lives, but I also know how difficult and how intense the recruitment process is.
    Inspired, I left this role after a year and began a Business and Management degree at Salford University (I know I know, hardly consulting material).
    I am now 21 and just finished my first year of university with a first (not a major feat by any means, I also know). I'm now spending my summer working a Business process analyst internship and working on a small internet start up to pass the time.

Question is: How realistic are my chances? I have personally recruited consultants without degrees, but they had AMAZING experience (and 20+ years of it, too).
    Should I just quit now and ring McDonald's?

ReputationRep:
    Forget about probability and how realistic your chances are, don't let that bog you down, stay ignorant. Keep hustling, lots of people are going to tell you that you can't do it. Sure, McKinsey is out of your league, but that doesn't mean you should give up. Go get it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so so much. That's kind of what I had thought up until now.
    I'm just trying to get as much experience as possible. I think I even might re sit my maths GCSE because I only got a C but I think I could do better.

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldsbabe)
    Thank you so so much. That's kind of what I had thought up until now.
    I'm just trying to get as much experience as possible. I think I even might re sit my maths GCSE because I only got a C but I think I could do better.

Thanks again!
    Nah I wouldn't bother, focus on getting a first and the best work experience available to you.

ReputationRep:
    You've got a first class degree and a lot of work experience, which is pretty good! Don't give up just yet. It may not be happening for you right now, but that doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. Like someone else suggested, keep contacting people to get more relevant work experience - you must have some contacts from when you did recruitment for Big 4, right? Make use of all your contacts; don't be shy!

ReputationRep:
    Are these accountacy firms (given you mentioned the big 4)? Because if they are they ask for a 2:1 and ABB minimum.

But some of them also have another option, where they recruit people who have poor grades, but have made it up with good university grades (i.e. like a first). Which you have.

If you get a first in your degree (which you should definitely try and get). Or maybe even a 2:1, getting a masters at a top uni would probably help.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't sound like anyone actually knocked you back. The A levels will be autofiltered by the most famous companies but there are plenty of others, and senior hires won't be as bureaucratic. Make sure to get a relevant internship.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been knocked back. But sometimes it hits me that management consulting is full of extremely well read people who went to Oxford and Cambridge and top red bricks with AAA at A-Level and I will never be able to compete with that.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been knocked back. But sometimes it hits me that management consulting is full of extremely well read people who went to Oxford and Cambridge and top red bricks with AAA at A-Level and I will never be able to compete with that.
    Yeah but they are competing in the Premier League, you should be aiming for the Championship firms. You are Sheffield Wednesday. Sheffield Wednesday still do well for themselves but do not have to compete with Chelsea.

Push your experience in MC hiring and any nuggets you picked up on the way, and your first. That's the good stuff right there.

ReputationRep:
    I love that analogy...thank you

ReputationRep:
    Feel like its worth pointing out that there's nothing wrong with exploring other interests as well. Is there anything else you might be interested in? In truth you've picked an area that's typically very competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Before I get burned for this little pity party, I just want to say that I am genuinely curious as to what you all think and really do need advice.

I am from a (below) working class family, my dad was in prison and my mum never pushed education at all. I am intelligent but not exceptional by any means academically.
    At GCSE I got 10 A*-C grades. I went through a lot of personal stuff during my A-Levels and I only got BCD (I know I regret it every day).
    After college I got an apprenticeship in Business and Admin. I worked in that role for a year, and then I got a job as a PA to the Managing Director of an exec recruitment company.
    Here is where I gained my passion and interest for Management Consulting. I had never heard of management consulting before, let alone considered a career in it.
    As time passed in my PA role I was promoted to head hunter, recruiting management consultants (partners etc) for the big 4. I loved getting an insight into their working lives, but I also know how difficult and how intense the recruitment process is.
    Inspired, I left this role after a year and began a Business and Management degree at Salford University (I know I know, hardly consulting material).
    I am now 21 and just finished my first year of university with a first (not a major feat by any means, I also know). I'm now spending my summer working a Business process analyst internship and working on a small internet start up to pass the time.

Question is: How realistic are my chances? I have personally recruited consultants without degrees, but they had AMAZING experience (and 20+ years of it, too).
    Hey can I ask how you got into the big 4? Also how did you become a head hunter at such a young age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vorsah)
    Hey can I ask how you got into the big 4? Also how did you become a head hunter at such a young age?
    Hey

Well after A-levels I became a personal assistant, and then changed company and was offered opportunity for promotion. I didn't work for a big 4 company, but I worked along side them filling their vacancies, so it did involve liaising with them on a daily basis.

Getting into recruitment is so easy, there are always loads of smaller boutique companies offering places for grads and trainees.

ReputationRep:

At GCSE I got 10 A*-C grades. I went through a lot of personal stuff during my A-Levels and I only got ABCD (I know I regret it every day).

It will be difficult but if I was you I would look into Accounting or corporate finance as an alternative. Enjoyed reading your story

ReputationRep:
    No one mentioned 'networking'?

You hired for the Big 4 so I'm sure there are people you can reach out to?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.