Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unprotected sex for 6 months with no pregnancy Watch

I've been with my girlfriend for 7 months. In the first month we used condoms religiously but in the last 6 months we haven't used them at all and I finish inside her each and every time. I should also add that she doesn't use birth control.

We are both very fit and lead a healthy, active life style and neither of us have ever had an STD and my fertility levels are completely fine. Ironically, we aren't even trying to have a baby but isn't it a bit worrying that she hasn't gotten pregnant by now? We use pregnancy tests here and there just to make sure and they all read negative.

Before we were going out, she went to a gynaecologist who said she has small cysts on her ovaries and advised her that it shouldn't affect her chances of having a baby in the future. The gynaecologist however, happens to be a good friend of her mum's and she doesn't want to risk asking her for sexual advise regarding this because she will tell her mum she's been having sex.

In light of this, could these cysts be affecting her fertility?

TLDR; my GF and I have been having unprotected sex with no birth control for 6 months and I'm worried there's something affecting her fertility.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure its her and not you?

ReputationRep:
    Is it PCOS your girlfriend has? This can effect fertility.

Although I'm confussed why you two are regularly having sex without using any contraception at all if you're not trying for a baby and now wouldn't be a good time for her to fall pregnant (I'm assuming this because you say that she doesn't want her mum to know she's sexually active)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No it's not worrying.

My husband and I have never had any fertility problems, but it still took us 8 months of actively trying to conceive, when we were trying for our 2nd baby.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    my fertility levels are completely fine.
    How do you know?

Ironically, we aren't even trying to have a baby but isn't it a bit worrying that she hasn't gotten pregnant by now? We use pregnancy tests here and there just to make sure and they all read negative.
    Without using contraception, only about 85% of couples conceive in a year. You've only been going for six months.

Before we were going out, she went to a gynaecologist who said she has small cysts on her ovaries and advised her that it shouldn't affect her chances of having a baby in the future. The gynaecologist however, happens to be a good friend of her mum's and she doesn't want to risk asking her for sexual advise regarding this because she will tell her mum she's been having sex.
    Erm, you're not trying to have her pregnant, but you're actively doing nothing to stop it and you don't want her mum knowing she's being sexual?

Is this trolling or stupidity?

ReputationRep:
    ticking timebomb...

ReputationRep:
    just to add to all off the above posts if your girlfriend went to seek advice from the gynaecologist at her work place then she wouldnt be allowed to say anything to anyone as its private and confidential however if she spoke to her when she wasnt at work it would be a different matter

ReputationRep:
    I had been having sex with my partner while I wasn't on the pill and didn't get pregnant (not that we were trying!). I then found out I had poly cystic ovaries.

PCOS Can cause fertility problems unfortunately .

Definitely worth speaking to a gynaecologist if you are thinking of starting a family.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1. PCOS can cause infertility
    2. Maybe it's you and your swimmers won't be making the Olympic team anytime soon
    3. No contraception for 6 months? You're a moron

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethanieee)
    I had been having sex with my partner while I wasn't on the pill and didn't get pregnant (not that we were trying!). I then found out I had poly cystic ovaries.

PCOS Can cause fertility problems unfortunately .

Definitely worth speaking to a gynaecologist if you are thinking of starting a family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're having regular unprotected sex, how is that NOT trying?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    TLDR; my GF and I have been having unprotected sex with no birth control for 6 months and I'm worried there's something affecting her fertility.
    As people have said - you could both have normal fertility. Take 100 couples having sex for a whole year then 85 will conceive but 25 won't have (or v early miscarriage) but give it another year or up to about 90-95 probably will have.

- If they are multiple small cysts then she could have polycystic ovarian syndrome which can reduce fertility if you're not ovulating regularly. But every woman were scanned then lots would have incidental polycystic ovaries without having a syndrome or any impact on their fertility. If a woman does have PCOS then getting within a normal BMI can often cancel out the syndrome aspect completely (& is probably a good idea before trying to conceive anyway) - or there are tablets that can be used to trigger ovulation.

- Your fertility levels are completely fine & it must be her? :rolleyes: So how many children do you have now to other Baby-Mummas? Or which microscope do you own for a bit of DIY sperm-analysis?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.