Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm hoping to apply for Warwick to do an MA in International Political Economy next year. I'm currently a third year, but I got a deferral on my dissertation, so do not get my full degree results until september (I think). I'm currently averaging a high 2.1, and will make a 1st if I achieve a 65 or above on my dissertation (which is screwing me over big time).

Now, obviously I intend to work for a year to save up as much money as I can, but I'd never be able to afford both the tuition fees and living fees (although naturally I'd intend on getting a part time job whilst there), so me being able to do this masters hinges on me attaining a scholarship. Has anyone here received a taught masters scholarship from Warwick? What grades did you get/do you have any tips for me?

I know they're really competitive, and any help would be seriously appreciated.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just saw this. I got the Warwick Taught Masters Scholarship for International Political Economy. I don't know what about my application stood out, but here's what I think:

- I got a first in History. It wasn't from a renowned university though, somewhere close to the bottom of league tables. My A level results were terrible because I made some terrible choices back then, but basically in my supporting letter I wrote how much of an improvement I made and that academia is somewhere I feel my skills apply.
    - My references were most likely very strong. One was my dissertation supervisor and another was a lecturer I've had for a few modules. I've always been on good terms with them; asking plenty of questions in seminars, discussing plans/essays with them and building somewhat of a less formal relationship. My dissertation was a fairly high first (77) and my supervisor was pretty enthusiastic about my topic, so that was a relief.
    - I made the case for how the masters programme fits with my desired future career and academic path. I got this advice from my careers service. He said that they won't necessarily be looking for who requires it most, but for who will make the most of it, if that makes sense. I want to work in policy in the future, ideally in a think tank, so I made it clear that a masters was pretty essential.
    - I did some background reading in IPE textbooks so I have a good idea of how to write about my interest for the area. It may be worth looking at some core texts just so you can make it flow well with your aims and what to get out of the MA.

I very much suggest writing a draft and taking it to a uni careers advisor. I doubt I would have been successful without the help of mine and was pretty impressed by how much he cleared it up for me.

If you have any questions, let me know. Once I get started on the MA I may try to find out a bit more about my app, but right now I don't want to hassle them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.