• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Enable register by email, the fact you can reg with a made up email address isn't smart, make it so easy to mass dupe and trool. If someone is serious about TSR they WILL confirm there email.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I know, right? One perma-banned user admitted to using tsr.com as a domain name for his own made up email address (not going to name names).

ReputationRep:
    In my experience TSR has never been all that serious about actually getting rid of trolls. Don't know whether they enjoy the traffic or use the number of profiles to boost stats (doubtful), but they could do a lot more than they do/have done.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    In my experience TSR has never been all that serious about actually getting rid of trolls. Don't know whether they enjoy the traffic or use the number of profiles to boost stats (doubtful), but they could do a lot more than they do/have done.
    Agreed. Other sites I frequent have more stringent rules when it comes to trolls. Obvious trolls which constantly post ant-feminist threads get banned in hours on Facepunch. Facepunch also bans people from replying to (obvious) troll threads and/or called "Dumb" for doing so. TSR doesn't necessarily have to be that extreme but when other sites combat trolls better than TSR, maybe a look is needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    Agreed. Other sites I frequent have more stringent rules when it comes to trolls. Obvious trolls which constantly post ant-feminist threads get banned in hours on Facepunch. Facepunch also bans people from replying to (obvious) troll threads and/or called "Dumb" for doing so. TSR doesn't necessarily have to be that extreme but when other sites combat trolls better than TSR, maybe a look is needed.
    I remember when I was a mod here (a while ago) I was warned off giving someone a perma ban despite them having accrued over 100 warning points and being a persistent troll. Made me wonder what the point was.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I remember when I was a mod here (a while ago) I was warned off giving someone a perma ban despite them having accrued over 100 warning points and being a persistent troll. Made me wonder what the point was.
    Wow, really? :eek:

And to think I once complained that some other sites had too many trolls. Looking at their event logs and seeing the reasons for bans prove otherwise.

Also, why doesn't TSR publish reasons for why certain users did get perma-banned? I wonder what horrible things The_Dragonborn, Rybee and others did to deserve their bans. It just causes speculation otherwise.

(Original post by Dumachi)
      Enable register by email, the fact you can reg with a made up email address isn't smart, make it so easy to mass dupe and trool. If someone is serious about TSR they WILL confirm there email.
      Genuinely agree.

ReputationRep:
      Unless they decide to use ten minute mail? Is there a way to stop people using that as their email instead?
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MidnightDream)
      Unless they decide to use ten minute mail? Is there a way to stop people using that as their email instead?
      Yes - it's possible to black any email domain from being used. Whether it would be done in practice is of course another matter - one step at a time, I'd suppose, given where we are at the moment.
      Very much so. :yep:
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SecretDuck)
      Wow, really? :eek:

And to think I once complained that some other sites had too many trolls. Looking at their event logs and seeing the reasons for bans prove otherwise.

Also, why doesn't TSR publish reasons for why certain users did get perma-banned? I wonder what horrible things The_Dragonborn, Rybee and others did to deserve their bans. It just causes speculation otherwise.
      Generally it's just *very* persistent rule-breaking, such that it's clear that they have no intention of attempting to follow the rules.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MidnightDream)
      Even though, its still slows them down, if you enforce enough ways to slow trolls down and keep ip banning them they will get bored in the end, right now you can open 10 chrome tabs, type: [email protected] and variants on each diff 10 tabs and click slide to enter and you're in. :facepalm:

Its just going to cause a bomb load of hassle in the end. Its a recipe for disaster. If they want to speed up the reg process why not use facebook integration. As I said though anyone that wants to join will confirm a email..

Another idea would be to make password the min of 6 characters.

ReputationRep:
      Tbh any troll that wants to troll will know how to make a temporary email account. We all know how to get them and it takes 30 seconds to make and they will just do that.

I reckon this would just hurt the number of normal users that are signing up each day. To have to leave the site, log in to your email, click the link then come back is a giant effort if you just wanted to sign up and post a thing or two.

We are stuck between a rock and a hard place here tbh.

ReputationRep:
      Hey Guys, I am having no problem activating by email here at TSR towers. Could you please provide more info into exactly what happens when you click the verify by email option. Unfortunately I can not do much here about the dud and dupe email addresses or TSR's eclectic collection of persistent trolls but, as always, your thoughts will be taken into account by our wonderful community team! Thanks!

TSR QA team
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Motorbiker)
      Tbh any troll that wants to troll will know how to make a temporary email account. We all know how to get them and it takes 30 seconds to make and they will just do that.

I reckon this would just hurt the number of normal users that are signing up each day. To have to leave the site, log in to your email, click the link then come back is a giant effort if you just wanted to sign up and post a thing or two.

I can see where you're coming from, but I'd have to disagree with the severity of the issue - with most common email providers and modern browsers, opening a new tab, logging in to an email service and clicking on a link really shouldn't need to take more than about 30 seconds. If people aren't prepared to do that much, they're unlikely to offer any meaningful contribution to the site.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

No it isn't. I have never not posted on a forums because i had to check for email validation, TSR is the only place that has so lenient rules.

Trust me it will end up bad.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Illusionary)
      I can see where you're coming from, but I'd have to disagree with the severity of the issue - with most common email providers and modern browsers, opening a new tab, logging in to an email service and clicking on a link really shouldn't need to take more than about 30 seconds. If people aren't prepared to do that much, they're unlikely to offer any meaningful contribution to the site.
      Well, we don't really want any users to be put off singing up imo. If this stops 1% then that's too much.

And the main problem is the trolls will make a new temp email account which any computer savvy person knows how to do. So this will probably just slow them down by 30 seconds. Is that 30 seconds worth annoying all the legit users?

No it isn't. I have never posted on a forums because i had to check for email validation, TSR is the only place that has so lenient rules.

Trust me it will end up bad.
      I don't have the numbers on me this second but i think there was a big jump in users registration when we introduced the slider.
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      Well, we don't really want any users to be put off singing up imo. If this stops 1% then that's too much.

And the main problem is the trolls will make a new temp email account which any computer savvy person knows how to do. So this will probably just slow them down by 30 seconds. Is that 30 seconds worth annoying all the legit users?
      I think we may have to agree to disagree on this as yes, I'd very much favour encouraging quality rather than quantity of registrations. I also really can't see a one-off 30 seconds to sign up for a forum as something that should deter significant numbers of legitimate users.
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by HokeyWolf)
      Hey Guys, I am having no problem activating by email here at TSR towers. Could you please provide more info into exactly what happens when you click the verify by email option. Unfortunately I can not do much here about the dud and dupe email addresses or TSR's eclectic collection of persistent trolls but, as always, your thoughts will be taken into account by our wonderful community team! Thanks!

TSR QA team
      I don't think anyone here had referenced technical difficulties on this point.

ReputationRep:

I'd argue the annoyance caused by these small number of trolls to our regular users is just as equal a problem as the 'pain' of having to validate your email, from what I recall even with huge sites like Facebook, Twitter etc.. They still require you to validate your email address to use the site properly.

If registrations have gone up since I can't really argue against that but this does have some pretty significant drawbacks as well.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      I also noticed the TOR browser does not have javascript. All the normal browsers do and have it on defaultly.

Is it possible to force javascript on the registration page because that would eliminate the TOR browser? (not totally sure, sounds plausible in theory)

Also the extra members. I wonder how many of them are trolls? It has got worse around here I see them everywhere these days.

Integrating facebook, google+ and/or even twitter as a way of signing up would be a good idea, i've seen forums utilizing this.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.