Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been working out for mass for about a year on and off, however in the past month I really organised my meals eating mainly chicken and white rise, however the meal dosent really fill me up properly. I was thinking of replacing the rice or a meal that could actually fill me up ?

Any suggestions ?

ReputationRep:
    Increase the portion size or go for spaghetti bolognese + cheddar cheese.

100g cheddar cheese = 400 calories

200g of cooked spaghetti [equals to 400g dry spaghetti] = 742

150g of minced beef/ sauce = 400 calories

The grand total is approx 1542 calories. I love eating this, it takes around 35 minutes to cook, it tastes wonderful. Also you can take massive mouthfuls, which makes this dish easier to consume when compared to rice/chicken.

Edit:

200g dry spahetti = 400g cooked

ReputationRep:
    Assume you meant 200g of dry spaghetti for 400g of cooked.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Whats your caloric intake atm?
    How do you bulk; Dirt, clean, carb cycle?

If you've hit a natural plateau and you're lean you could carb cycle and attempt to stay lean, increasing fats in the off day.

Personally i dont go out of my way to count calories, i adjust portion sizes if the scales arent in my favour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bulking is easy. Clean bulking is a little harder but it's quite simple when you think about it. Eat what you'd normally eat, just eat more. Eat five big meals a day, mix chicken up with turkey, fish, red meat, shakes etc.. balance your meals out with carbs so you've got the energy to train, and train like a man (or woman) possessed. Then you'll get big.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD)

Since when does 200g of cooked spaghetti equal the same as 400g of dry spaghetti in terms of calories?

Although it may double in weight when cooked, it is soaking up water not more calories. So 200g of spaghetti cooked is 200g.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CemCakantemur)
    Since when does 200g of cooked spaghetti equal the same as 400g of dry spaghetti in terms of calories?

Although it may double in weight when cooked, it is soaking up water not more calories. So 200g of spaghetti cooked is 200g.

mb typo wrong way round... dry 200g to 400g cooked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SEHughes)
    Assume you meant 200g of dry spaghetti for 400g of cooked.
    yep

I blame creatine

ReputationRep:

The grand total is approx 1542 calories. I love eating this, it takes around 35 minutes to cook, it tastes wonderful. Also you can take massive mouthfuls, which makes this dish easier to consume when compared to rice/chicken.

Edit:

This and for breakfast get some oats, full fat milk and eggs.

100g Oats + 500ml full fat milk, 3 eggs and some orange juice. There's around 1000 calories there, with a lot of protein too.

ReputationRep:
    I would deffo cut the white rice, I had the exact same problem a few years ago; your body just burns through it too quickly because it's too simple a sugar, it'll cause insulin spikes as well which doesn't help clean bulking. Go for brown rice, quinoa, wholemeal stuff, and try to get more fibre as well. It's not popular with all, but I enjoy eating broccoli (lightly boiled), you can pretty much eat however much you want and you won't gain very much fat. Overall, it's much more about making sure your body has a steady stream of protein throughout the day (and night! Consider investing in casein protein supplements or drink two glasses of milk before bed) that'll get you bigger.

Edit:

Yep. I often make similar to take to work at lunch time. So full afterwards I want to have a nap lol.

Along the same lines - do chilli. Rice, mince with tomatos and spices, and lots of cheese. You can even buy the microwavable rice which is full of carbs and calories, and very quick to prepare. Aldi sell them for around 49p a bag lots of flavours.

I find the easiest way to increase calories is just to bulk out meals a bit more. As above, have cheese. Perhaps a glass/pint of milk. Use lots of butter / EVOO. I have chilli oil in the house which is lovely dribbled over food.

(Original post by TSA)
        This and for breakfast get some oats, full fat milk and eggs.

100g Oats + 500ml full fat milk, 3 eggs and some orange juice. There's around 1000 calories there, with a lot of protein too.
        When people say oats and eggs, I don't really understand it. So you would eat the bowl of oats, and then tuck into the eggs? It doesn't really go together.

I struggle eating a lot for breakfast, just haven't got the appetite. At the moment I've been enjoying a muffin cut in half, toasted, lots of butter, and two poached eggs. About 2-3 hours later I'll have my first meal.
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by commandant)
        Yep. I often make similar to take to work at lunch time. So full afterwards I want to have a nap lol.

Along the same lines - do chilli. Rice, mince with tomatos and spices, and lots of cheese. You can even buy the microwavable rice which is full of carbs and calories, and very quick to prepare. Aldi sell them for around 49p a bag lots of flavours.

I find the easiest way to increase calories is just to bulk out meals a bit more. As above, have cheese. Perhaps a glass/pint of milk. Use lots of butter / EVOO. I have chilli oil in the house which is lovely dribbled over food.
        Chilli oil :drool:

Sour cream also a good one for chilli, swear you don't actually notice it's there but it's a lot of cals.

(Original post by Le Nombre)
          Chilli oil :drool:

Sour cream also a good one for chilli, swear you don't actually notice it's there but it's a lot of cals.
          Hadn't thought of that one actually. I think I'll make up a big batch of chilli on sunday ready for next week (this week we (girlfriend and I) have beef stew and the week before was spag bol). I'll make sure I buy some sour cream :-)

ReputationRep:
          In the past few months I've almost only eaten brown rice, brown pasta and some jacket potatoes and I find them very filling. You'd be surprised how much brown rice you can eat during the day when you're bulking. I have been cooking up 2 cups worth (dry) and thats lasted me a couple of days.

Meat wise I'll do stuff like chuck a couple of tins of tuna or salmon in with a sauce and cook a load of veg, or have a big piece of chicken or turkey.

For breakfast I eat 3-5 wheatabix with a tablespoon of sugar and like 300 mL or semi skimmed milk and that always fills me up until lunch. Otherwise I'll have a 6 egg omlette or scrambled with brown toast.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by commandant)
          When people say oats and eggs, I don't really understand it. So you would eat the bowl of oats, and then tuck into the eggs? It doesn't really go together.

I struggle eating a lot for breakfast, just haven't got the appetite. At the moment I've been enjoying a muffin cut in half, toasted, lots of butter, and two poached eggs. About 2-3 hours later I'll have my first meal.
          I finish the bowl of eggs have a bit of water, and then eat the boiled eggs. I'm currently fasting all day. I have about two hours to stuff my face with the calories for the day after I get back from the mosque, this is after having a 1000+ calorie meal about 4 hours earlier. Normally oats, eggs, orange juice and two croissants for breakfast is fine for me, fills me up enough but at the moment I just don't have the appetite.
          You don't know the struggle. Every night I'm literally forcing food down me.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by ljoshl91)
          For breakfast I eat 3-5 wheatabix with a tablespoon of sugar and like 300 mL
          I have like 3-4 weetabix plus about 2 servings of shreddies on top. And a load of milk. Does me about 4 hours tops lol.

#hungryallthetime

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by illusionz)
          I have like 3-4 weetabix plus about 2 servings of shreddies on top. And a load of milk. Does me about 4 hours tops lol.

#hungryallthetime
          I have 7-8 weetabilt plus 3 servings of shreddies on top. And a ton of milk, then I eat a cow. Does me 2.5 hours top lol

Ahh the yorkshire men.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by TSA)
          I have 7-8 weetabilt plus 3 servings of shreddies on top. And a ton of milk, then I eat a cow. Does me 2.5 hours top lol

Ahh the yorkshire men.
          you forgot the gravy mate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.