Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I apologise for the title.

Ok, so I have a friend who I've know for a few months who is quite a bit older than me, (I'm 25 and he's 66) which has never bothered me. (he's a male and I'm a female) He has asked a few times if I would like to go to Paignton with him because there's a nice cafe there. I've been too busy doing other stuff; so have had to say no.

Reading the local paper this morning and there was an article about a man who is on trial accused of, er, performing a sex act on himself, or something equally disgusting and something about a young lad. His picture was there too and I thought (it was online and the website is known for making these silly mistakes) it was a mistake.

It was clear that it's not a mistake. He has an unusual name.

He's on trial accused of whatever he's done to this boy and it says that he has similar convictions going back some 30 years.

What would you do? I know that we're meant to be innocent until proven guilty; but I'm concerned that he's been accused of this stuff before.

ReputationRep:
    first off,

you're friends with a 66 year old?

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you, you're an adult. If the young lad was underage then it's a criminal offence and he may go to prison. Personally, I would steer clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    first off,

There's actually nothing wrong with that. I consider a lot of my work colleagues as friends and they are of all ages.

ReputationRep:
    If he hasn't done anything illegal to you personally - and everything was entirely consensual - you should not attempt to make any unjust accusations about any part of your relationship, even if you are now starting to regret it. If you believe that he has committed one or more crimes against you, then you should of course report these to the police.

On a more personal level, I suspect that you need to start questioning whether this relationship can continue. I think you are already beginning to question it. In statistical terms it is always exceptionally unlikely that a relationship with this great an age gap can work, and it appears in this case that there could indeed be ulterior motives on his part, so it's probably for the best that you start to wind this relationship up. Tell him that you're finding the age gap difficult, and that you wish to spend more time with people of your own age. He'll probably try to "make it work", but you will need to be firm over several days/weeks to end it this way. Or just dump him???

This is just my opinion though. From an outside perspective I don't think this relationship is healthy. You've got to make up your own mind really.

Just be careful what you write on social media and places though, because as you say, he is innocent until proven guilty.

ReputationRep:
    Never speak to him again and erase of physical memories you may have !

You don't want to become a target yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I guess Paignton is off the cards.

He may have reformed, but be very careful, I personally would not take any chances at all.

ReputationRep:
    what on earth do you talk about with a 66 year old ? he has probably never heard of Justin Beeber or One Directions.

ReputationRep:
    You should break all contact, ditch your phone, and unsubscribe...

ReputationRep:
    I think this disgusting, i'm sorry if i'm rude but it sound ****ing disgusting:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    what on earth do you talk about with a 66 year old ? he has probably never heard of Justin Beeber or One Directions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    first off,

66 year olds are people to you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I never said that they weren't

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely be careful around him, if you're planning on remaining friends.

ReputationRep:
    :dontknow:

but they are ....different ?

ReputationRep:
    LOL...oh boy this is funny.
    Anyway yes we don't know their background relationship
    but considering the 66 yr old is on trial for being a paedo...
    I don't wanna know their relationship.
    And I certainly wouldn't stay friends with them?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to be friends with a sex offender regardless of their age!!

If you are worried about him being innocent, just keep your distance- make excuses- and keep and eye on the court case. If he's found to be innocent then you can resume your friendship?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.