Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice please, got offered a job with an ordinary degree BEng (without honours) Watch

ReputationRep:
    In terms of career development, should I take this engineering consulting job, it pays 26k basic and it means moving down to england which i dont mind doing, but it means i only have an ordinary degree (no honors), will i be able to do a masters without this, im thinking MBA or something along those lines,

my uni wont let me do my honors on a distance learning basis and im not even going to entertain the open university,

is there any advice any one can give or have had similar experiences with, should i just take the job and work my way up etc.?

p.s. im 30 years old with alot of experience in similar consulting based roles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mox123)
    In terms of career development, should I take this engineering consulting job, it pays 26k basic and it means moving down to england which i dont mind doing, but it means i only have an ordinary degree (no honors), will i be able to do a masters without this, im thinking MBA or something along those lines,

my uni wont let me do my honors on a distance learning basis and im not even going to entertain the open university,

is there any advice any one can give or have had similar experiences with, should i just take the job and work my way up etc.?

My initial thoughts: is this offer actually influenced by the degree you're getting? Or are you essentially getting this offer based on your past experience? If based on your past experience - why did you choose to do the degree in the first place? Did you leave a job to do it? If so, why change your mind now?

If you take the job, are you saying you can complete your degree and get any grade as usual, just without the honours? TBH I think given the circumstances you could easily explain that away to any employer asking about hons. However if this say prevented you getting the basic 2.1, then I would probably suggest you avoid it.

What are your expectations post graduation? Based on that salary it sounds like an entry level graduate job - were you aiming to start from scratch?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for replying

my experience is a factor as well as meeting the requirement of being a "graduate" although they later realised it is not an honors degree but looked past that due to me achieving a distinction award as well as court medal award the previous academic year as top student, i went to uni to enhance my prospects but i was getting paid around 18k before i left uni, now the basic is 26k so I think the uni degree was worth it somewhat,

ive already completed my degree with distinction award im averaging 82% for the ordinary degree which is a distinction award, it means i have a BEng but not a BEng with honours.

im not sure about postgrad, i thought doing an mba and maybe getting into something like investment banking or rising up the ranks maybe up to 35/40k basic +, would they allow me to do that if i do well in the GMAT?

(Original post by M1011)
    My initial thoughts: is this offer actually influenced by the degree you're getting? Or are you essentially getting this offer based on your past experience? If based on your past experience - why did you choose to do the degree in the first place? Did you leave a job to do it? If so, why change your mind now?

If you take the job, are you saying you can complete your degree and get any grade as usual, just without the honours? TBH I think given the circumstances you could easily explain that away to any employer asking about hons. However if this say prevented you getting the basic 2.1, then I would probably suggest you avoid it.

What are your expectations post graduation? Based on that salary it sounds like an entry level graduate job - were you aiming to start from scratch?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper

At traditional grad age, with no professional work experience, this might be too great a risk to take.

With prior professional experience to back it up, then this is much less of a risk and probably a good option. You should be able to convince future engineering and consultancy based employers that the quality of your experience and the degree to date is enough - as you have convinced this first company.

What is more worrying is your subsequent post about taking an MBA and moving to IB, which I suggest is a complete non-starter and anyway, why would you? If you are carving out a decent career in engineering consultancy, or general management consultancy of the back of engineering experience, and then you go and get an MBA aged 35ish, why on earth would you try to move to IB at that point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    At traditional grad age, with no professional work experience, this might be too great a risk to take.

With prior professional experience to back it up, then this is much less of a risk and probably a good option. You should be able to convince future engineering and consultancy based employers that the quality of your experience and the degree to date is enough - as you have convinced this first company.

What is more worrying is your subsequent post about taking an MBA and moving to IB, which I suggest is a complete non-starter and anyway, why would you? If you are carving out a decent career in engineering consultancy, or general management consultancy of the back of engineering experience, and then you go and get an MBA aged 35ish, why on earth would you try to move to IB at that point?
    good point about the IB , I would prefer to rise the ranks operations management, director/CEO etc. but I thought the MBA would help would it not, I think IB is a no-go to be honest for someone my age as much as I would love to get into it and put in 18 hours a day I don't think they would even consider me due to age or experience
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    good point about the IB , I would prefer to rise the ranks operations management, director/CEO etc. but I thought the MBA would help would it not, I think IB is a no-go to be honest for someone my age as much as I would love to get into it and put in 18 hours a day I don't think they would even consider me due to age or experience
    You'll be able to put in 18 hours a day in a consulting role, don't worry about that! I don't think IB is a starter, as you say, because of age and experience, but who knows what opportunities might come along. I would get back into employment and armed with insider knowledge, decide if/when an MBA might be helpful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.