Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

best smartphone that is £200 or less Watch

ReputationRep:
    my current phone broke and i need to buy a new smartphone that is android and has a good battery life, camera and display.

ReputationRep:
    I'd give you some advice, but I'm afraid I'm just too nervous to talk.

(Original post by toonervoustotalk)
      my current phone broke and i need to buy a new smartphone that is android and has a good battery life, camera and display.
      I've got the Motorola Moto G (about £160) and can definitely recommend it. :yy:

ReputationRep:
      I've got a Huawei ascend for £70 and it's excellent. The only downside on mine is no forward facing camera (for Skype, for example), but apart from that, I don't know why people pay lots for "superior" models.

ReputationRep:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moto-16GB-Si...eywords=moto+g
      get a giff gaff sim and job's a goodun.
      definitely the best phone under £200.

ReputationRep:
      You can get a LG Nexus 4 for less than £200. It is pretty decent.

ReputationRep:
      Moto G 4G is on the horizon if you can hold out a little while. Best bonus is the mSD slot.

ReputationRep:
      Moto G.

ReputationRep:
      Moto G. It's great.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zorg)
      Moto G 4G is on the horizon if you can hold out a little while. Best bonus is the mSD slot.
      Actually I think it might have been launched already

ReputationRep:
      Yeah. Moto G 4G. It's better than most phones above £200 so definitely get it!
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zorg)
      Already out :fyi:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Gofre)
      Already out :fyi:
      Yeah, only came across it a day or two ago and it was showing up as soon. Sounds like an ace little phone. I might snatch one up when it comes closer to the £120 tag.

ReputationRep:
      Moto G

ReputationRep:
      i have looked at the moto G and i dont like it so i think i am going to get a sony xperia M2

ReputationRep:
      i have looked at the moto G and i dont like it so i think i am going to get a sony xperia M2
      What don't you like about it?

It's better than the M2 in almost every way apart from maybe the camera. Plus it's cheaper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Scratchyjam)
      What don't you like about it?

It's better than the M2 in almost every way apart from maybe the camera. Plus it's cheaper
      i like big square phones that have a flat back unlike the moto g which has a curved back.
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      i like big square phones that have a flat back unlike the moto g which has a curved back.
      The curved back is way better in terms of ergonomics in my opinion, I'd strongly recommend going down to a phone shop and trying to hold both if possible. And as mentioned above, the 4G Moto G is pretty much equal or better than the M2 in every facet but the camera for about £50 cheaper. I'd be favouring it for that pixel dense 720p display alone- it's set a new benchmark for low end phones and a larger 960 x 540 display won't be nearly as sharp.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Gofre)
      The curved back is way better in terms of ergonomics in my opinion, I'd strongly recommend going down to a phone shop and trying to hold both if possible. And as mentioned above, the 4G Moto G is pretty much equal or better than the M2 in every facet but the camera for about £50 cheaper. I'd be favouring it for that pixel dense 720p display alone- it's set a new benchmark for low end phones and a larger 960 x 540 display won't be nearly as sharp.
      Just to add, if you do go to the shop to try one out then please ask if they have a working model you could take a look at. It used to be amusing when people were shocked that we had live phones that weren't clamped down to show them too.
      Sorry if that sounds patronising.
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zorg)
      Just to add, if you do go to the shop to try one out then please ask if they have a working model you could take a look at. It used to be amusing when people were shocked that we had live phones that weren't clamped down to show them too.
      Sorry if that sounds patronising.
      Yeah demo models in phone stores are absolutely useless now, either non-functional bodies to avoid theft or the actual phone with a bloody zip tie or other security measure wrapped around the screen making trying it out a massive pain. I'm honestly at a loss at to how we've been living with "proper" smartphones for seven years now and nobody has come up with a better anti-theft measure that won't impact the unit's usability.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.