Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm resitting my yr 12 as I messed it up due to circumstances that weren't document, so I'm completing my A-levels over a three year period. I've recently done A2 Biology, AS Chemistry and AS Mathematics. I'm going to need to apply for uni this September and I want to go into medicine. I am certain I didn't do well in my last exams of A2 biology. How badly could this affect my chances of getting in? I am planning on re-sitting them in my final year however.

P.S. I've done some research and so far have seen that King's, Exeter and Plymouth accept resits.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    When you say A2 Biology went 'badly' do you mean like around the low B grade area or like E/U? If it's the latter you may have a problem.

Medicine is very competitive, and just because those unis accept resits doesn't mean you've got great chances when applying (it's just so oversubscribed).

Honestly, you will be at a disadvantage (really trying to be realistic, hope this doesn't come across as mean), it's definitely not impossible so keep working hard (good grades will open a lot of doors regardless of whatever you apply for). When you say you messed up was it due to extenuating circumstances that could be mentioned in your reference or to do with not giving it your full effort? If its something out of your control (illness, bad school/teaching/family issues/etc) it would really be useful for the school/college to mention it in the reference.

What grades do you need and what are you expecting on results day?

You see lets say King's ask for AAA and you get ABC. During the third year, even if you get predicted AAA you might not get an offer because they may have a policy that is "resits allowed, but higher grades required" so then you may be expected to get A*AA for example (all these grades are hypothetical).

Make sure you keep researching and don't give up, but be realistic too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comeback)
    When you say A2 Biology went 'badly' do you mean like around the low B grade area or like E/U? If it's the latter you may have a problem.

Medicine is very competitive, and just because those unis accept resits doesn't mean you've got great chances when applying (it's just so oversubscribed).

Honestly, you will be at a disadvantage (really trying to be realistic, hope this doesn't come across as mean), it's definitely not impossible so keep working hard (good grades will open a lot of doors regardless of whatever you apply for). When you say you messed up was it due to extenuating circumstances that could be mentioned in your reference or to do with not giving it your full effort? If its something out of your control (illness, bad school/teaching/family issues/etc) it would really be useful for the school/college to mention it in the reference.

What grades do you need and what are you expecting on results day?

You see lets say King's ask for AAA and you get ABC. During the third year, even if you get predicted AAA you might not get an offer because they may have a policy that is "resits allowed, but higher grades required" so then you may be expected to get A*AA for example (all these grades are hypothetical).

Make sure you keep researching and don't give up, but be realistic too.
    Thanks for the reply. Badly as in E/D. I got a B for my AS biology unit.

It was circumstances involving family issues as well as constant discontinuing of teachers for all my Chemistry lessons, but I never really told anyone. Is it too late or should I speak to someone?

I've done more research and seen that I can transfer myself into Medicine after a year of something science/medical related such as medical pharmacology or biomedical sciences.

I personally believe I did good for AS Maths, a little less good for As Chemistry and bad for A2 Biology. So results may be a little over the place this August which I know is never good. It's just been a tough year and I'm trying to aim for Medicine one way or another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macy_01)

It was circumstances involving family issues as well as constant discontinuing of teachers for all my Chemistry lessons, but I never really told anyone. Is it too late or should I speak to someone?

I've done more research and seen that I can transfer myself into Medicine after a year of something science/medical related such as medical pharmacology or biomedical sciences.

I personally believe I did good for AS Maths, a little less good for As Chemistry and bad for A2 Biology. So results may be a little over the place this August which I know is never good. It's just been a tough year and I'm trying to aim for Medicine one way or another.
    It's probably possible, but you will have to do a lot of legwork to a)find out which universities will accept your situation given those circumstances (may be harder if you have no evidence for it - though the school may be able to provide information about their issues with chemistry teachers) and b)where will accept only three A-levels taken in the manner you have described, as most want you to complete three at the same time.

There are courses which allow you to transfer into medicine after a year, but there are only a few, and most of them only allow a handful of their best students to transfer. Bear in mind that most of the students on that course will probably be aiming for those few transfer places, and that if you are unsuccessful you are then committed to a degree you may not be that interested in. Going direct for undergraduate entry, or via a foundation course if you are eligible, would usually be a better option. You'll need to contact universities yourself to find out where will consider you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macy_01)

Well, you may need to take a year out to get the grades up (or as you said transfer to Medicine after starting something else) but if you stay determined I'm sure you can do it!

What did you get for your coursework (A2 Biology)? If you averaged a D in A2 but got a B in AS that places you at a C (which isn't Medicine level but not 100 miles away either!)

I am not applying for Medicine but also struggled greatly with A2 Biology this year so will probably have to retake it next year, if you have done badly you're certainly not alone!

Really get prepared for Results Day! This includes resit/remark money, UMS boundaries for all your subjects (so you know how far off you were from the next grade in each module, etc).

Who knows maybe you did great. In my A2 Biology coursework I remember thinking I had done badly but ended up with 37/40 (an A even if grade boundaries rise this year!). You can't always tell so don't rule anything out yet.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I ended up with a D for Biology overall (28marks off a C), a C for AS Maths and D for AS Religious Studies and AS Chemistry.

I will resit some units for all the subjects to improve the grades. I am currently doing A2 Chemistry and A2 Maths.

I was thinking of applying for a biomedical course that allows me to transfer into medicine after the first year. (uni's are Exeter, Plymouth, Newcastle and Leicester. Do you think it's possible for me to apply and get some kind of offer?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.