Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im new to leeds so applying for uni accommodation rather than searching outside of the uni. i was going to apply to st marks but apparently the international:home/eu student ratio is something like 70:30. i love meeting internationals and during my undergrad some became my best friends - but i've also had some bad experiences with international students who feel more comfortable sticking together than socializing with home/eu students, and have been quite introverted and nervous around the latter. for this reason id rather be in a building/flat with a slightly higher number of home or eu students, does anyone have any ideas which accom would be best for this? or is this a general pattern with the uni accommodation?

or alternatively, could anyone tell me if you are normally put in a flat with home/eu students?

i dont mean any disrespect when i ask this, just naturally a bit anxious as this is the furthest i've ever been away from home.

ReputationRep:
    I am also a prospective student (Postgraduate) for the University of Leeds and i have already applied at St.Marks Residence. Although i would also prefer the ratio of international:home/eu student to be higher, however, i think you can make still make some home/eu students in St.Marks.
    I mean if you compare it with the remaining residences St.Marks should have the most mature students. Not sure if you would like to risk it and go in a noisy residences with the biggest proportion of it would be undergraduates

P.S I am an EU student, where you from ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andreascy)
    I am also a prospective student (Postgraduate) for the University of Leeds and i have already applied at St.Marks Residence. Although i would also prefer the ratio of international:home/eu student to be higher, however, i think you can make still make some home/eu students in St.Marks.
    I mean if you compare it with the remaining residences St.Marks should have the most mature students. Not sure if you would like to risk it and go in a noisy residences with the biggest proportion of it would be undergraduates

P.S I am an EU student, where you from ?

ha, i didn't get any real advice from the internet about this so i ended up having to go with st marks! i think i might try and look outside of the uni for accomodation privately instead. im actually just from england, but my housemates now are from belgium, denmark and france, so i've lived with eu students for 3 years where are you from? i also tried quite hard to find out if home/eu students are put together in flats or if its a mix or what but no advice about this either!

ReputationRep:
    I am from Cyprus (Greek-Cypriot).
    Well as a postgraduate i believe St.Marks is the best residence as it its specialy design for postgraduate students and far as i know their facilities are more modern compare to the other residences. From there on, its your choice but you shouldent change your opinion of living in a residence just because you will have international people in the residence Most likely you will hangout with people outside of your residence such as your colleagues of your course

ReputationRep:
    I am Italian and I applied for St Marks', too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lobloblob)
    im new to leeds so applying for uni accommodation rather than searching outside of the uni. i was going to apply to st marks but apparently the international:home/eu student ratio is something like 70:30. i love meeting internationals and during my undergrad some became my best friends - but i've also had some bad experiences with international students who feel more comfortable sticking together than socializing with home/eu students, and have been quite introverted and nervous around the latter. for this reason id rather be in a building/flat with a slightly higher number of home or eu students, does anyone have any ideas which accom would be best for this? or is this a general pattern with the uni accommodation?

or alternatively, could anyone tell me if you are normally put in a flat with home/eu students?

i dont mean any disrespect when i ask this, just naturally a bit anxious as this is the furthest i've ever been away from home.
    You can all prob try and email residence and inquire if you can request to share the same flat - I also sent a PM to you with a few other ideas that might help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vggirl)
    You can all prob try and email residence and inquire if you can request to share the same flat - I also sent a PM to you with a few other ideas that might help.
    The University would accept such an email ? To inquire a flat for you to share with EU/Home students only rather than International ?

ReputationRep:
    The University would accept such an email ? To inquire a flat for you to share with EU/Home students only rather than International ?
    i was almost tempted to put it in the box for writing any other stipulations you have about your accommodation, but i was worried how the uni might take it. it is silly though - some people are looking for a different experience out of the masters than others. if i'm paying £9000 for it i want to still have a good time, but im pretty sure that most of the ambitious and pressured internationals probably wont feel the same way.

ReputationRep:

Oh sorry was not implying that at all - actually I meant that if you identify other students on this forum who are applying to St. Marks and has the same interest as you are having - you can all come together and try to request each other as flatmates.

p.s. they would not accept you requesting only EU/UK students as a request :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lobloblob)
    i was almost tempted to put it in the box for writing any other stipulations you have about your accommodation, but i was worried how the uni might take it. it is silly though - some people are looking for a different experience out of the masters than others. if i'm paying £9000 for it i want to still have a good time, but im pretty sure that most of the ambitious and pressured internationals probably wont feel the same way.
    I understand you, however, i believe you are focusing too much about your flat mates. I am sure that you can make some friends in the University, your flatmates might be irrelevant to you in the end of the day so just relax! What my friends that studied in UK told me is that the biggest proportion of them, didn't actually hangout with their flatmates but rather with their classmates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vggirl)
    Oh sorry was not implying that at all - actually I meant that if you identify other students on this forum who are applying to St. Marks and has the same interest as you are having - you can all come together and try to request each other as flatmates.

p.s. they would not accept you requesting only EU/UK students as a request :-)
    Yeap i just wanted to clarify it because sending this kind of email it's risky Well yes your idea is good, students from my country (Cyprus) always do this sort of thing, especially girls

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Why don't you look also for private accommodation? I think it would be a good option, it is probable that in private accomodation, even if you are in a large residence, you have a smaller ratio of international students compared to home/eu students.

The reason I think would be that in these residences they ask for a UK guarantor to be able to pay in installments, while we as international students have to pay the full amount of the rent in one payment (I am an international postgraduate student from Mexico and have looked at both options so far, but I haven't decided yet)

I would recommend that you start your search at Unipol website and see if other accommodation options suit you. The majority of options displayed there are certified by Unipol or have a good quality/service standard. I understand that you can even search in this website for flatmates with your same interests!

I can personally say you that coming to UK from an overseas non-EU country can be very intimidating and this is the reason why many of us look for university accommodation first, it is a way to avoid many other problems that would be difficult to cope with, such as paying apart for your bills, choosing the correct flatmate, paying for additional taxes, struggling with the landlord and so forth; moreover most of us cannot see the accommodation first before signing the contract!! If you are in your own country I think it could be easier for you to deal with these issues -as you already know them -and find the best option for you

In private accomodation I have seen The Priory (vggirl also helped me, thanks!), IQ student residences and Concept Place, but you can search for many more, or even not a student accommodation but a private / shared flat.
    Good luck!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.