Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not mentioning or flat out lying about going back to university Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had a couple of interviews for jobs since coming back home after my first year at uni, but both times the fact that I'm leaving again in October has put me out of the running. I'm getting tempted to just not mention it and then just sorta mention it just before I leave in October and disappear. Anyone have any experience with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fergeh)
    I've had a couple of interviews for jobs since coming back home after my first year at uni, but both times the fact that I'm leaving again in October has put me out of the running. I'm getting tempted to just not mention it and then just sorta mention it just before I leave in October and disappear. Anyone have any experience with this?
    If you think that mentioning university is hindering you getting the job, then next time do not mention it. Just be aware of the fact that they might not be appreciative if you end up leaving around 7 weeks later due to you going to university, and because of this they might not be too willing to give you back your job when you come back for holidays (assuming you wish to work then).

From personal experience, I got turned down for a job back in April due to me currently being away at university during the holidays (they hadn't read this fact on my CV, silly them). However, I still have my original job from when I started AS levels, and they allow me to come back during holidays to work (I would hope so too, being on their books for almost 3 years!)

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview at Sainsbury's on Friday and said that I didn't have plans to go to uni but instead work up to a managerial position - total lie i'm going to Warwick in Sept hopefully - they're more likely to employ someone who they think will be with them a long time, just lie, a lot of students I know do it

ReputationRep:
    right think I'm gonna go for the fibs from now on thanks you two

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.