Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to do an MSc at Warwick in September which runs until September 2015 with graduation taking place in November. The whole idea of this was to make me a more attractive PhD applicant.

Now what I'm wondering is how this would work with PhD admissions; I'm planning to apply to at least three CDTs which would start first year in Sept/Oct and I'm just not sure how that's supposed to work. Do I start the course before graduating from the MSc? Do I take a year out? Do I just not apply to CDTs and go for traditional PhDs with the same people? Has anyone here dealt with this?

I have a job offer from a pretty good university conditional on my passing the MSc degree, but I'd rather not take that year as I was a mature student going into A Levels and that's not going to get any better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalivha)
    Has anyone here dealt with this?
    Currently going through this - and 'lots of communication' is the answer.

I have a place on a professional doctorate course for October but my Masters result won't officially be out by then. It's not even due to be finished until mid-Sept.

After negotiation, the plan is that I'll submit my dissertation at the end of July, my tutor will mark it, then the registry at my current uni will write directly to my next uni with the provisional Masters grade. Sounds simple but it took a long time to get there.

In my line of study a lot of doctorates begin in January to allow for this - applying for one of those would have been a lot easier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jantaculum)
    After negotiation, the plan is that I'll submit my dissertation at the end of July
    The way my Masters works is that I'll start the dissertation in June (after finals), so I'm not sure how it'd be possible to finish it in half the time.

I know a couple of people who went through similar things and it seems easiest to stay at the same uni, but I don't really want to stay at Warwick after this. It's a lovely university, great research, but I am too in love with one specific topic they don't do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.