Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Career change Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Sorry if this is the wrong place I wasn't sure were to post this)
    Any advice would be great, I'm in quite a confusing position! Basically I've applied to University for this September in order to study economics and my firm is a highly ranked, prestigious uni - I'm not saying this in a boasting way, I just feel as if I don't want to waste the opportunity. However, recently I've had a change of heart and no longer wish to pursue a career in the financial industry. I've always had a huge interest in films and creative writing and I've realised I'd really enjoy a career in screen writing or possibly writing horror. I really have no idea what to do. Clearly an economics degree would not be relevant to this career. I would have no problem taking a gap year but I honestly wouldn't know what to apply for and I strongly doubt I have relevant A-Levels. I understand it may seem as if I've given this very little thought, however I have attempted to research it but most of the results give advice for American students. Also I never really had a clear image of what I wanted to do as a job, and this is the first time I've thought of something I'd really enjoy.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You do sound like you might be panicking a bit? Did you ever want to pursue a career in the financial industry?

A good degree from a good university is a good idea to get. This does not mean that you can't do your writing as well. With writing, you have to start out doing bits and bobs as it is - it's not like someone will give you a job as a writer straight off the bat. Don't worry what your A levels are in and TBH will anyone care what your degree is in?

You don't need to have any particular A levels or any particular degree to become a writer. This is something you could explore, if you wanted, as a hobby in the spaces between your degree - see if you are any good at it, and see if you like it. Then have a think when you finish your degree? Or do a creative writing course over one summer - get a part time job, save up and book yourself into a course.

I would try and figure out if you are looking at two separate issues here a) do I want to do this economics degree and then b) what do i actually want to do. Figure out the first thing first.

You can do a lot more with a degree in economics I would have thought that pursue a career in the finance industry.

(Original post by gnrgeredd)
    (Sorry if this is the wrong place I wasn't sure were to post this)
    Any advice would be great, I'm in quite a confusing position! Basically I've applied to University for this September in order to study economics and my firm is a highly ranked, prestigious uni - I'm not saying this in a boasting way, I just feel as if I don't want to waste the opportunity. However, recently I've had a change of heart and no longer wish to pursue a career in the financial industry. I've always had a huge interest in films and creative writing and I've realised I'd really enjoy a career in screen writing or possibly writing horror. I really have no idea what to do. Clearly an economics degree would not be relevant to this career. I would have no problem taking a gap year but I honestly wouldn't know what to apply for and I strongly doubt I have relevant A-Levels. I understand it may seem as if I've given this very little thought, however I have attempted to research it but most of the results give advice for American students. Also I never really had a clear image of what I wanted to do as a job, and this is the first time I've thought of something I'd really enjoy.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Look at the majority of actors and writers in the industry and see what they studied. The majority of them did a degree completely irrelevant to acting, writing etc but all discovered their passions for the industry through clubs and societies within the university.

If you aren't sure about going to do Economics then defer your entry for a year and try and get some voluntary experience within the sector. Obviously it's incredibly competitive within the film/media industry so this will be hard. At least you will know if it is the right career path for you.

You can still explore your interest in the film industry whilst at university - join a creative writing club, film club, or even start your own. And at the same time you can get a degree in Economics. Even if you don't end up using it you have a strong degree and you will get life experience along the way.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gnrgeredd)
    ...............!
    A decent degree in Economics won't stop you taking up a career in films and creative writing. Give the glacial speed most creative careers start with, then you probably wouldn't progress any faster by not going to uni, or changing to do a creative degree than you would taking up the economics place and throwing yourself into al the relevant student societies. On graduating, you'd have a strong degree and creative experience and could make a much better informed decision from that point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.