Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have recently started my accounting apprentership and i do not like it whatsoever. I really dont believe that office work is for me and i am struggling to get through days without feeling depressed.

I am an 18 year old male who has recently finished college with D*D*D* in my level 3 extended diploma in business. My parents made me find a job as soon as i was finishing college and due to me studying business, my family has pushed me towards accounting as it seemed like a good choice.

However upon starting my job today i have found that i really hate it and it has made me feel really upset and depressed. The staff there are nice but they in no way relate to me which means that i genrally spend my time alone whilest they talk and have a chat. This has made me feel really isolated and out of place.

Additionally, having started with some of the more ''easy'' tasks i have found that my course did not prepare me for the work and i am struggling to understand lots of things. My boss and other collegues have been helpful but i feel that this line of work isnt for me as it is only going to get more difficult and i am stuggling with the basic concepts.

I have not started the college side of the apprentership and i am not yet enrolled on a course as they want to talk me through the AAT qualifications in person and i have not yet been to visit.

I think i would be suited to a different job and i feel really stupid about picking accounting because of pressure from family to get an ''office job''.

Any advice would be appreiciated, thank you.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wigwam5)

Any advice would be appreiciated, thank you.
    How long have you been in the role? Anything less than a full year and you don't really have enough experience to make a reasoned judgement. If you are going to quit jobs within the first few months based on the sort of gut feelings you describe above, then I'm afraid you are in for a tough life. Stick at it and things will almost certainly change for the better. And any accounting qualification will always stand you in good stead in the future.

ReputationRep:
    From experience, I totally understand the gut feeling from knowing you're undertaking something that you don't think is right for you. I felt pressured from college, family, friends, etc that I must go to University...so I ended up going and pretty much as soon I as I got there, I knew I had made a mistake. I stuck at it for a fortnight but I knew I wasn't in the right place. If you're completely and utterly sure that you don't want to be at that apprenticeship, leave and try something else. I ended up leaving my Uni course, and it was the right decision for me and better opportunities arose too. You have to make the right choices for you, that make youhappy. Never go into something to satisfy somebody else, even if it's your parents. You don't have to quit apprenticeships all together, you could find a new one that's just better suited to what you want, and where you'll be much happier. Plus you're still super young, life is about trying different things out until things fall into place; it's never going to be straight forward!

Your own happiness and choices in career paths are much more important than going down the route of trying to make others happy, when under the surface you're just plodding along feeling miserable. Your parents are your parents, they'll always be proud of you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.