Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,ill be exchanging to Nottingham at the Sept intake and would like to ask is it better to stay on campus accommodation or off campus accommodation in financial terms?Ive done some research and staying on campus can cost me about about 470 to 500 pounds per month and staying off will be about 250-300 pounds per month.However, will counting the addition expenses cause my cost to increase to about the same to on campus as I do not know the usually expenses that will incur for a student who will be staying off.Those extra expenses for staying off like food, utilities, internet fee, contract processing fee.Also, i notice that off campus accommodation are like 12 months contract fee and my thoughts are that since im an exchange student, i wont be staying for like 1 year and will be going back after the exams.Therefore,is it actually better to stay off campus or will the extra cost actually be just about the same staying on campus ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I'm an exchange student coming in for the Sept intake too. I'm going to apply for on-campus accommodation because I hear that the halls (and especially the self-catered ones) have a really good sense of community. That's only my impression though, and I could have gotten the wrong idea, so hopefully other people will post here to back that up or set it straight

Good news is though, because we're only staying for one semester we pay roughly half of the full semester accommodation payment. It's explained at this link here: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommod...owtoapply.aspx

Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Castiel412)
    Hi,ill be exchanging to Nottingham at the Sept intake and would like to ask is it better to stay on campus accommodation or off campus accommodation in financial terms?Ive done some research and staying on campus can cost me about about 470 to 500 pounds per month and staying off will be about 250-300 pounds per month.However, will counting the addition expenses cause my cost to increase to about the same to on campus as I do not know the usually expenses that will incur for a student who will be staying off.Those extra expenses for staying off like food, utilities, internet fee, contract processing fee.Also, i notice that off campus accommodation are like 12 months contract fee and my thoughts are that since im an exchange student, i wont be staying for like 1 year and will be going back after the exams.Therefore,is it actually better to stay off campus or will the extra cost actually be just about the same staying on campus ?
    You would need to contact the halls / accommodation providers directly to ask about having a contract shorter than 12 months. It should be straightforward to organise but the information might not be on their website.

You can live cheaper off-campus depending on what you eat. If you're in off-campus halls then all the bills and utilities are included and you only need to pay for food on top. I live a lot cheaper off-campus than I did in on-campus halls in first year

ReputationRep:
    It is definitely cheaper off-campus. However, I would recommend living on-campus if you are new to Nottingham, just because it is easier to manage and make friends, especially if you are in catered accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys but i know that staying off campus is cheaper.The questions is how much cheaper will it be ?Like how much do you all normally spend on utilities and internet for staying off campus ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.