Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I start work for A-levels now? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've finished year 11; should I start working for A-levels now? CGP have some Head Start books, are they worth buying and using? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Nah, theres still 2 months or so bloody hell.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Which subjects are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolves)
    Maths, chemistry, biology, Spanish and English lit.

ReputationRep:
    Not really worth it. Depending on your subjects you mainly just risk boring yourself when it comes to class time.

Enjoy this summer while you have it. Also the best textbooks are usually the exam-board endorsed ones as they contain exact phrasings that mark schemes tend to highlight.

What subjects? If you're doing maths then it's probably quite a gentle introduction to start learning calculus gradually if you're really bothered, but still not necessary assuming you're going to pay attention when you get there. Go learn a new skill or something different with the time instead, imo.

Edit: Spanish - get some spanish music or stuff and start listening to that regularly, and use a site called Memrise to start building your vocabulary as that actually will help. The other subjects just leave for now.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, I'd start now. I totally fouled my as-levels because I was lazy all year. Think of going into your lessons and already knowing your **** like a total boss :yay:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    I totally fouled my as-levels because I was lazy all year.
    Yeah see, I think your problem might have been there, rather than before you even started

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groundearth)
    Maths, chemistry, biology, English lit and Spanish.
    I have just finished doing English Lit AS. Do you know what books etc. you will be studying? If you do, I think it would benefit you to read them over summer if you can, or at least have a good understanding of them (I wish I had done this!!). It will make remembering key quotes for the exam and general understanding of the texts far easier in class.

I reckon for the others it would just be best to ensure that you have a firm understanding of everything you learnt at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you get summer work? Or is that just something my school enjoyed doing -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    Yeah see, I think your problem might have been there, rather than before you even started
    Still on track for uni though. I got dis.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy your summer and make the most of having no work yet!

ReputationRep:
    NO!!!! relax and enjoy your summer before 2 years of hellish work commence... enjoy your freedom... enjoy it for as long as you can!

ReputationRep:
    Start now and really work it.

ReputationRep:
    The next two years will be hell, have a break while you can!

ReputationRep:
    I've finished year 11; should I start working for A-levels now? CGP have some Head Start books, are they worth buying and using? Thanks!
    Considering the subjects you've chosen, i'd definitely say yes, especially with spanish. Do not at all costs ever stop spanish.

Listen to the news, read books in spanish, practice your grammar. You want to start AS knowing all the grammar rules for GCSE like the back of your hand. - I did french -.

I also did maths, For this, i would advise you to start on Core 1 and Core 2, but as you do not know what 3rd module you'll be doing, i wouldn't start on it. You don't need to buy books just yet, but a really good website is www.examsolutions.net. It'll teach you core 1 and core 2, don't worry about the exam board just yet.

Biology has an insane amount of content to learn over the year, but if you start on say spanish and maths, then you'll have more time for your english lit and biology. You may want to start leisurely reading your english lit books.

Don't try to do too much, the holiday is for you to enjoy, but you definitely need to be doing some form of learning, or you'll be cold when you get to AS and that warm up period takes 2 months.

Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    At my school, we got given bridging projects for going from year 11 into year 12 to give us an introduction to each subject. I didn't really do anything other than that, apart from possibly briefly looking over the specification etc. (I can't really remember!) I guess it all depends on the subjects you're taking though. It might be useful to briefly look over some of the content, although I wouldn't think it's really essential in my opinion, it would just give you a bit of a head start. Good luck with your A Levels and have a good summer!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position as you and was thinking of doing the same - not loads at all, about 1/2 an hour or sometimes an hour a day. That's hardly enough to bore and seems like a good idea so I can understand stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Nah, theres still 2 months or so bloody hell.
    (Original post by TheWolves)
    Maths, chemistry, biology, Spanish and English lit.
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    Not really worth it. Depending on your subjects you mainly just risk boring yourself when it comes to class time.

Enjoy this summer while you have it. Also the best textbooks are usually the exam-board endorsed ones as they contain exact phrasings that mark schemes tend to highlight.

What subjects? If you're doing maths then it's probably quite a gentle introduction to start learning calculus gradually if you're really bothered, but still not necessary assuming you're going to pay attention when you get there. Go learn a new skill or something different with the time instead, imo.

Edit: Spanish - get some spanish music or stuff and start listening to that regularly, and use a site called Memrise to start building your vocabulary as that actually will help. The other subjects just leave for now.
    (Original post by Dani California)
    I disagree, I'd start now. I totally fouled my as-levels because I was lazy all year. Think of going into your lessons and already knowing your **** like a total boss :yay:

Id start now, Im studying for my SATs now, also Eng lit isn't a real subject, I would do about 4 hours a day at least, you will be so ahead of the game later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnatic NateDestiel)
    Id start now, Im studying for my SATs now, also Eng lit isn't a real subject, I would do about 4 hours a day at least, you will be so ahead of the game later on.
    Excuse me? English lit is a real subject; Oxford and Cambridge have entire degrees in it, and it's one of the oldest and most respected subjects in the world. It's seen as a great A-level by Oxbridge, LSE, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.