Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moving into new flat in September - do people usually pay the summer rent? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I've just finished my 1st year of uni (I was in halls) and I'm sharing a flat with my friend starting late September. Her parents are the landlord and they said that I would have to pay the rent for July, August and the full rent of September. I was wondering if this was the norm as I am not able to afford the summer rent due to personal circumstances. I have not moved anything in and I don't have the keys yet. I haven't signed the lease yet either but I will be doing so this weekend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It seems to be the norm where I am in Bath, at the very least people pay half rent and don't move in. We're paying full rent for July/August and September too.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, this is normal. There is no way that the landlord will be able to let the place out for those summer months. In most cases they will have enough demand that they will always be able to find someone to rent the place even with those terms.

If you are very lucky you may get a deal to pay half price rent over the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just tell them you're not moving in till September so that's when you'd like your contract to start, and for it to be a 9/10month contract.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, most landlords do it. Occasionally you might find a shorter contract if they're doing maintenance or renovations (so you can't move in) but usually it's a 12-month contract or nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies guys. Two of my flat mates are staying there over summer, do you know if I'm expected to pay part of the gas/electricity bill if I haven't used any? I'd ask her now but I've already asked some awkward questions to her parents so I won't do it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.